Sending time at Ft. Wilderness

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
So next time around we're thinking of spending an afternoon/evening (in June) at Fort Wilderness, just exploring and having fun. We would be driving to the resort. The plan was have an early supper there (is the buffet good??), maybe do a couple things, and then go to the Chip n Dale Campfire.

1. Once we get there, will their bus system take us where we need to go?
2. What else would be good (inexpensive) fun for a 10 & 7 year old?

I'm not sure about the answer to your questions, because we always go to the Magic Kingdom and take the boat to fort Wilderness. We like this way because the boat dock is no more than a football field away from Trails End, which is absolutely wonderful. This is a very overlooked restaurant on property, and one of the cheapest buffets you will find at Disney. The food is comfort food like fried chicken, ribs, macaroni and cheese, potatoes, lots of different vegetables, and a very extensive dessert island. They also have the kids buffet that you'll find at any disney buffet with the chicken nuggets, pasta, etc. The atmosphere of trails end is very laid back and the wait staff are all very laid back, fun people. Trails end buffet will definitely not disappoint.

We enjoy the Trails End Buffett. I haven't been to the campfire as my children are adults now. We take Wdw transportation to MK, then take the boat to Ft Wilderness. Trails End is right near boat dock. I'd go early, and walk around that area, browse resort shop, the pony corrals are just past Trails End, and the horse barn with the big draft horses. Last time we were there they were getting Cinderellas carriage ready.

The campfire is a lot of fun. You can save money by bringing your own s'mores supplies as they do not give them away for free. If you can't get to a grocery store then they sell s'mores packs (including sticks) for a nominal fee.

There is a play ground, some arcades, and on some days you can have a 90 minute archery lesson. The archery is 45 a child though so pretty steep.

[QUOTE="mshanson3121, post: 55774663, member: 542582"
1. Once we get there, will their bus system take us where we need to go?
2. What else would be good (inexpensive) fun for a 10 & 7 year old?[/QUOTE]

Yes the bus will take you to the campfire and all around the resort. You can pick up the bus near the Trails end. The bus will also take you to the front of camp wilderness where you can pick up busses to all disney areas.
Camp Wilderness also has a petting area with horses for free , horse back riding ,archery , fishing spots , bike trails. There is plenty to do.

Early dinner
Hayride (approx $8 pp)
Campfire
Watch Wishes from the marina (music piped in)
Yes how could I forget the nightly water parade. You can watch the water parade then following usually is the fireworks show from the beach. The speakers on the beach play the music from MK as the fireworks go off.

Early dinner
Hayride (approx $8 pp)
Campfire
Watch Wishes from the marina (music piped in)

Yes how could I forget the nightly water parade. You can watch the water parade then following usually is the fireworks show from the beach. The speakers on the beach play the music from MK as the fireworks go off.

Oh, thank you guys! I love this idea!!! So, we could do the campfire, then watch the water parade, then Wishes? Where is the area we would watch the parade/Wishes from? Is it the same area that you dock when taking the boat from MK to the campground? We've only been to Ft. Wilderness once, we took the boat from MK to HDDR, so that's the only area I'm familiar with.

We LOVE Fort Wilderness. Trail's End has good, solid food. It's never swamped, and the waitstaff are fantastic!

We like to get there, have our meal, play on the beach (tetherball!), and go to the stables. I think next month we will do the campfire and fireworks viewing from there, too.

Oh, how long would we want to plan on spending at Trail's End for dinner? Would an hour be enough?
An hour is fine. Depending on the schedule you may be able to just do the sing a long campfire then head to water parade. From what I remember I don't think we were ever able to do both - full movie and water parade/fireworks. But yes fireworks are back at the beach area where the boat docks.

Oh, thank you guys! I love this idea!!! So, we could do the campfire, then watch the water parade, then Wishes? Where is the area we would watch the parade/Wishes from? Is it the same area that you dock when taking the boat from MK to the campground? We've only been to Ft. Wilderness once, we took the boat from MK to HDDR, so that's the only area I'm familiar with.

Yes, same area. The music is piped-in right near the rental building at the front of the dock. Forgot about the water parade, duh, yes, get there early enough to catch that, too.

We had a 4 pm dinner at HDDR and were out in plenty of time for the hayride. I can't remember the exact time of the hayride that night (it was after 6 for sure), but check the schedule and be early - it's first come, first serve.

Coming to the fort in July...love this place and could just hang out and camp with family without visiting parks...trails end...yum

If you go to the campfire I recommend getting there about a half hour early if you can. Usually (not always and definitely not guaranteed but it did happen to us and I've heard other reports of it) Chip and Dale come out early and play games with the kids. Then the singalong starts and the chipmunks go through the crowd seat by seat and sign autographs and take pics. We had the most fun before the singalong, we happened to get there early and dale stole my dd's toy from her and then they chased each other around and she had an absolute blast.

Silly question, but it's not a long walk from Pioneer Hall to the Meadow Trading Post area is it?

Silly question, but it's not a long walk from Pioneer Hall to the Meadow Trading Post area is it?

It's exactly half a mile to the Trading Post itself.

If walking up to the campfire area, the direct route is to leave the Pioneer Hall/Trails End area, walk up Fort Wilderness Trail (the road which has a nice wide sidewalk), and look for loop 600 on your left (parallel to the sidewalk). Halfway up 600 is a sidewalk off to the left that cuts across 600 to a bridge over the canal that puts you right at the campfire.

Probably also it's about half a mile.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter