• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Sell Me on DL or WDW"

Dramatwist

M Crane
I don't mean to offend, but none of us can "sell" someone on one park or the other. Whatever is your favorite, just go and have fun!

Diss Disneyland, diss WDW... who cares? Just go and have a good time.

Don't ask advice about the parks and argue about it...

I agree, and don't want this to get ugly! We have a reputation here for being a very friendly board!

The DL board is for people planning trips to DL and fans of DL. The WDW board is for folks planning WDW trips and fans of that resort. There's no need to cross-post with negativity! We are here to answer questions about planning and ensure that everyone has the best vacation possible, even if that means helping someone determine that DL might not be right for them. I see you don't have many posts, but you should know that the WDW vs. DL debates come up a lot and they often turn ugly because, well, DL fans are passionate about DL and WDW fans are passionate about WDW! I don't fault either, but I think we need to all follow the "if you don't have something nice to say..." adage! If you aren't answering planning questions or offering helpful advice, it's probably best to just stay out of it. :hippie::hippie::hippie:

I agree, and don't want this to get ugly! We have a reputation here for being a very friendly board!

The DL board is for people planning trips to DL and fans of DL. The WDW board is for folks planning WDW trips and fans of that resort. There's no need to cross-post with negativity! We are here to answer questions about planning and ensure that everyone has the best vacation possible, even if that means helping someone determine that DL might not be right for them. I see you don't have many posts, but you should know that the WDW vs. DL debates come up a lot and they often turn ugly because, well, DL fans are passionate about DL and WDW fans are passionate about WDW! I don't fault either, but I think we need to all follow the "if you don't have something nice to say..." adage! If you aren't answering planning questions or offering helpful advice, it's probably best to just stay out of it. :hippie::hippie::hippie:

Thanks, sonnyjane! We don't want to get ugly... we all love Walt's legacy, wherever it is.

Thank you! These DLR vs WDW debates are pointless... They're both Disney, so who cares? What I don't like or appreciate is someone judging the other resort and they've never even been. That's not fair at all. The DLR board is always welcoming WDW vets, but the endless judging has got to end. If you want to discuss WDW, the board is open, of course! We're here to discuss the Disneyland Resort.

Let's have a great time and try not to offend each other!:cool1:

I am a WDW vet planning my first trip to SoCal and DLR. Until I began planning this trip, I never ventured over to this board. Once here, I have found the most wonderful, helpful posters with a wealth of information!

I have enjoyed reading a lot of the posts about differences between WDW and DLR, but what's "best" is subjective and irrelevant. I can't wait to visit DLR! I want to walk where Walt walked. I look forward to experiencing the rides that we don't have at WDW. I love shows and can't wait to see Aladdin and WOC! I am excited at how compact the resort is, and that we'll be able to walk from our hotel (DLH) to both parks.

I expect to love DLR just as I do WDW. Both were Walt's dream. Both are magical.

I agree 100%.

Message boards have a way of expressing people's thoughts inaccurately. Always been that way.

Sorry if I offended anyone as well. Personally, I can't wait to go to Disneyland. Unfortunately, I can't book for 2014 yet.

I don't get the debate. I've been to both. They are completely different experiences. People asked me which I liked better. Now, to be completely honest, I do like the fact that I can afford to stay on property at WDW, where this is something I will never afford in DL. But, they both have unique things to offer and cmoparing them is semi-pointless.

I agree too! Not a problem with discussing vacation tactics or personal favorites at DLR, or even why past vacations have led me to prefer one place to the other, but it gets pointless when we have to convince others what park experience is "better" for them.

Funny thing, my mom prefers chocolate cake and milk chocolate sweets but always picks vanilla ice cream to the chocolate variety. If she never tried ice cream before and I had to assume her flavor preference based on her other choices, I'd have chosen chocolate ice cream but then ultimately been wrong.

There's only so much you can gain by listening to others. The rest you have to discover yourself. :)

I think there is something about DL that I prefer, but it's totally a personal preference. I'm in a funny position because I grew up going to DL, but spent most of my adult life working at WDW so I have a lot of memories of both. However, while WDW will always be special to me in some ways because I was a CM there, most of my childhood memories as well as my parents' are of DL.

Here is an essay I wrote on my Disney blog about the differences:
http://diariesofadisneydreamer.blogspot.com/2012/05/dl-to-wdw-and-back-again.html

We live on the west coast and DL is our favorite! Part of it is the travel time to DL compared to WDW. Flight time to DL is two hours or so with a direct flight to SNA. Flight time to WDW is eight to ten hours with at least one layover some where, depending on which airlines you take(it is only six hours to Hawaii). Putting aside the travel time, we like DL the most. Everything is walking distance within the DLR. No matter where you are standing, you can walk to anywhere else within twenty minutes or so(not counting waiting in line time). :goodvibes We like that a lot!;). DL is the original and we think the CMs are a lot nicer than the ones at WDW. Plus, DL is a lot cooler than WDW.:banana:pixiedust:

I don't mean to offend, but none of us can "sell" someone on one park or the other. Whatever is your favorite, just go and have fun!

Diss Disneyland, diss WDW... who cares? Just go and have a good time.

Don't ask advice about the parks and argue about it...

I agree.. My opinion is that if you have been to WDW and not DL then choose DL and compare them yourselves. Been only to DL and never WDW? Go to WDW and compare them yourselves. Everyone has a favorite and someone elses opinion should not be a deciding factor on what you should do when you alone can decide by going to both. Apples and Oranges I say.

I didn't read all the other posts but wanted to chime in on the original question. I've always been a total WDW snob. "WHY would you go to DISNEYLAND when there is WDW?!?!"....

but in January I went to Disneyland, and it too became part of my heart! It was FABULOUS!

I said so many times while touring Dland...you just CANNOT COMPARE them...it's apples to oranges. Disneyland is smaller/more compact and much easier to navigate. It's more intimate I think. Disneyworld is big and huge and fabulous. You can get Dland done in a 3 or 4 day weekend. Disneyworld I always do a good five nights at least.

They are both magical, they both have that Disney touch, the great service, the Walt nostalgia. How they do things (dining plans and reservations for example) are different, which is weird. I think you can go with the flow more at dland, whereas at WDW you really have ot have a 'plan of attack.'

So.... my answer is.... they are both great, for their own reasons. I liked it enough that I'm taking my family there in a month ;)

I agree with lovebug33. DL and WDW are two completely different experiences. We usually try to get to DL 2 to 3 times a year. But in 2003 we were visiting the east coast and decided to visit WDW to see what it was like. It was supposed to be a once in a lifetime trip. Now ten years later we are planning our 8th visit to WDW as well as two more trips to DL before years end. My favorite? Whichever park I am at!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter