(Self) Tan for Disney Trip

donnajz

DIS Veteran
Okay...I'm extremely fair and like to look like I have a little color when I go on vacation. The last time I tanned at a tanning salon but I really don't want to do that again. Any suggestions for a good self tanner that's easy to apply and forgiving as far as not getting on real evenly?

We leave in 5 weeks so I just tried L'Oreal Subline Tanning Spray...what a mistake. I guess I wasn't careful enough when applying it and I have big run marks, white spots, dark spots...now I can't even wear shorts. Any idea how long before this wears off? I sure hope it's gone before our vacation. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it quicker. I tried bathing and using a scrub but it didn't really help.

Any suggestions on what to use for a self tanner and/or how do get rid of this horrible mess I've made would be extremely helpful!:confused:

I'm a very fair skinned individual as well and like to have a little color during my trips.

To remedy your current situation, use a loofah to scrub your tan off as much as possible. I would also buy a body scrub - I love Clinique's body scrub. You could also buy a less expensive sugar scrub too.

I have the best results with Jergens Natural Glow. There are two types - one for fair skin and one for medium/dark. Use the fair skin type and apply a week prior to your trip. It is a gradual tan and I usually apply at least three times before leaving.

I hope this helps!

I'm a very fair skinned individual as well and like to have a little color during my trips.

To remedy your current situation, use a loofah to scrub your tan off as much as possible. I would also buy a body scrub - I love Clinique's body scrub. You could also buy a less expensive sugar scrub too.

I have the best results with Jergens Natural Glow. There are two types - one for fair skin and one for medium/dark. Use the fair skin type and apply a week prior to your trip. It is a gradual tan and I usually apply at least three times before leaving.

I hope this helps!

Thanks so much. I'll give it a try and will definitely get the Jergens Natural Glow.;)

Also, baking soda works great as an exfoliator. Just add a little water to make a paste and scrub on the dark spots and rinse. It's worked for me :thumbsup2

i second jergens, they also now have an express natural glow option, i have not used that but the original one works and is easy to use, never had streaks. if you wear dark clothes you could prolly apply each nite or morning and have a tan in no time. my friend also did well with the self tan booth at the salon, but i personally hate the smell it leaves on you.

I'm super-pale and using the Jergens right now. It's working great - not too dark, no streaks. I'm happy with it.

I would suggest going and getting sprayed by a technician at a tanning place. It will cost you a little more, but it will be way worth it in the end. When you do this, you get a very even tan that looks natural. Then, during your trip, apply the Jergens Natural Glow each day and that should keep your tan looking good throughout your trip. With any self tanner, if you don't apply at least ever other day, it will start to look splotchy, especially if you are swimming in the pools with chlorine. Good luck!

Don't worry - it should be mostly gone in a couple days!

I'm naturally quite fair skinned as well. After my dad got melanoma a couple years ago, I stopped doing the tanning booth and now I rely on self-tanners and the sun (while wearing sunscreen, of course.)

However, I tried Jergens last year and it did NOTHING. After a week, I gave up and threw it out. So I just wanted to put that out there.

For a gradual tanner, I like the Nivea gradual tanning lotion. It's a firming moisturizer that gives you a gradual glow.

A few years ago, I used to work at Origins. I don't know if they still have it, but when I worked there, they had a special product to take off self-tanner. Might be worth looking into. Just go to their website.

When it comes to self tanner, I use the Loreal tanning wipes. However, when using self tanner that is NOT gradual, you have to be very careful. Make sure you get every last bit of skin. Also - DO NOT GET IT WET! You can't get wet for a couple hours after using it. Seriously - even one little drop from the sink when you are washing your hands can give you crazy stripes on your legs! When done right, though, the result is great and looks so real.

Good luck!

I really like the Jergens Natural Glow also, and have found that the RiteAid version works just as well. I apply it like skin cream and kind-of rub it in. I find if I put it on in a "thin layer" it tans unevenly. Also, make sure you shave and loofah your legs before using any sunless tanner. This removes dead skin, which "takes" color faster than fresh skin. Also, knees, ankles, and elbows tend to "take" tanner faster than other skin. I put a thin layer of regular skin cream on these areas before using the sunless tanner; it seems to keep them from absorbing as much tanner so they don't come out much darker than the rest of me :cool2: !

I recently used Quick Tan by Body Drench - a nice brown. I have it in a spray form.

It looks really even and pretty natural... a couple of problems were the spray - worrying about getting it all over the bathroom... although I didn't actually see any overspray and that fact the stuff dries really fast - kinda nice feature BUT, by the time you apply it - your palms are brown. It has a tint as it goes on - so you can see where you are applying - but you still need to rub it in a little. I would wear gloves next time and then just add it to the back of my hands at the end.

Apparently they have it in a lotion as well - which I'd like to try.

Sprays usually give better and more even coverage. You need to make sure you get one with a good nozzle and preferably one that dispenses a fine mist. It is also helpful if you have someone (you trust :lmao:) to help with it.

I bought an Avon one that you can spray from any angle which makes things easier. I tan easily but I live in Scotland .... :rolleyes1

You might want to try Tan Towels from HSN. They are great and easy to apply. Look on-line or find HSN on TV for the number.

I also like the Nivea firming lotion. Just be careful - I remember one year my mom did self-tanner before a vacation and when we got off the rapids ride her socks were orange! :rotfl:

I use self-tan all the time, especially on vacation. The Florida sun doesn't tan me all over. I prefer L'oreal's sublime bronze. But with all self-tan, be careful not to miss any spots. I did that recently and it looked...well stupid. :thumbsup2

I LOVE Coppertones Gradual Tanning Lotion. Jergens works well too but I find that Coppertones (comes in a pump bottle) works the best. It's VERY hard to find, when I do find it I buy a couple of bottles.

You need toreally scrub and moisturise to get that bad tan off, but it should leave your skin in a good place to apply a new fake tan!!

I am so pale it takes one application to make me look white, think my natural tone is kind of pale blue, Irish ancestors, red hair too:scared1:.

I use Ponds Cocoa butter self tan, never seen it in the states but have never really looked. Use it as a moisturiser every second day and the tan is really narural.

Good luck hope you get the tan you want x

My new favorite, and I am very fair is Fake Bake, I ordered it online, I was very nervous because it is such a dark lotion, but it works great. I got alot of compliments from it.Saving the rest for my Nov. trip. Also got the face one too.

Just remember to always use an exfoliant before applying any of them.
My old favorites are Jergens and Towelettes from HSN.

My new favorite, and I am very fair is Fake Bake, I ordered it online, I was very nervous because it is such a dark lotion, but it works great. I got alot of compliments from it.Saving the rest for my Nov. trip. Also got the face one too.

Just remember to always use an exfoliant before applying any of them.
My old favorites are Jergens and Towelettes from HSN.

Does anyone know if the Tan Towels from HSN have an expiration date. I bought those a few years ago and they worked pretty good...although there were a few uneven spots. I think I have some left but they're about 3 years old. I don't want to waste one by opening it now to see if it's dried out. What do you think? If it's not dried out, would you give it a try or be afraid of an abnormal color?:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter