• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Segways banned from Disney

autumnblue

DIS Veteran
I came across the following article on yahoo.com

Disney's Segway Ban Upsets Some Disabled
Sun Feb 8, 5:56 PM ET Add Business - AP to My Yahoo!

By MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. - The last time Doug Exum went to Walt Disney World, he rented an electric scooter to navigate the resort's four theme parks. But he tired of sitting and the scooter cost him $200.

The next time the 42-year-old computer programmer from Plano, Texas, returns, he wants to bring his Segway, which allows him to stand up as he scoots about on its platform and battery-operated two wheels.

There's only one problem: Disney World doesn't allow visitors, even those with disabilities like Exum, to use the self-balancing transportation machines. The policy has angered some Segway owners with disabilities and surprised others since the Disney parks have a reputation for accommodating the disabled.

They say even some Disney employees use Segways, which are becoming increasingly popular with people who otherwise would have to use wheelchairs.

"I'm not prepared to let a corporate attorney dictate to me how I should be mobile," said Exum, who is technically quadriplegic from an injury as a teenager but functions as a paraplegic.

Disney World doesn't allow the Segways into the parks because they haven't been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (news - web sites) as medical devices, said park spokeswoman Jacquee Polak.

"Basically, it's difficult to accommodate two-wheeled vehicles," she said.

Disney World traditionally has been very sensitive to the needs of the disabled. The resort has wheelchair-friendly swimming pools, audio devices for the visually impaired and a hot line for people with disabilities to call for information. People with walking problems can use wheelchairs or scooters in the park.

But Meredy Jenkins, a 55-year-old graphic designer in Orlando who has multiple sclerosis, said many people don't want to use wheelchairs or scooters because they have to sit.

"They want you to sit in a wheelchair and feel even more handicapped," Jenkins said. "Most people I know aren't ready to sit down. It's an insult."

Disney's policy has earned some caustic comments on a Segway online discussion forum. A writer known as "Okeechobee Wind," who described recently being refused entrance to Epcot on a Segway, plans to spend less money at the resort because of the policy.

"There are times when confrontation causes the pixie dust to not do its magic while at Disney," wrote Okeechobee Wind, who did not respond to an interview request.

Disney World isn't the only place to restrict the use of Segways. They're also prohibited at Disney's California parks — Disneyland and California Adventure. Sea World Orlando says it doesn't allow them for safety reasons and San Francisco last year outlawed them on its sidewalks.

Orlando's other major theme park resort, Universal Orlando, doesn't have a policy. Jerry Miller, a 55-year-old retired state trooper from Indiana who has Parkinson's disease (news - web sites), recently went to Universal on his Segway without any problems.

"If I had to spend all day in a chair at the theme park, I would be a mess," Miller said.

The Segway was built as a pollution-free mode to zip around sidewalks or at businesses. Since they became available to the public in November 2002, they have found a growing niche among people with neurological ailments who find it difficult to walk. Users include people with multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease and those with spinal cord injuries.

Jerry Kerr, a former builder in St. Louis who became quadriplegic in a diving accident, said people treat him differently when he addresses them face-to-face from his Segway instead of from a wheelchair.

"I don't know how to describe the feeling, when you have resigned yourself to spending the rest of your life in a wheelchair and that whenever you look at someone you're looking at their waist and rear end," Kerr said. "Then, you're having the ability to stand and interact with someone at their level."

The first Segway, also known as Ginger or IT, was unveiled with great fanfare in 2001 by inventor Dean Kamen, who boasted it would displace cars as the transportation choice for urban centers. They travel at about 12 mph and cost under $5,000. The company that makes them has sold more than 6,000.

Segway spokeswoman Carla Vallone said the company did not track how many Segways were sold to people with disabilities, but "we are definitely aware that this is a category that is really interested in Segway." Because they aren't FDA-approved the company cannot market them specifically to the disabled.

Linda Kilb, an attorney with the Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund in Berkeley, Calif., said she knew of no case law involving Segways and disability rights.

Businesses such as Disney World are required to make "reasonable modifications" to their policies for people with disabilities as long as the changes take into account safety issues and do not fundamentally alter the operation of the business, Kilb said.

Exum, though, won't return to Disney World until the resort changes its policy.

"Individuals should have the option to use whatever helps them get around," he said.

Thanks for posting this.
I saw an article (not as nice as this one) yesterday and I visited the Segway Forum and read some of the discussion.
My personal opinion is that this is going to be an area that needs a little catching up (maybe a lot) before they are allowed "in the Mainstream". I know a lot of cities have banned them, so WDW doing it doesn't surprise me a bit. I am surprised (and I bet a lot of other people are too) about some of the people with disabilities who are able to use a Segway. Given what I have read about the way it steers and the balance needed to use it, I'm very surprised to hear that someone who is paraplegic or has Parkinson's disease has enough balance to get on and use a Segway. Good for them if they can and want to use it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes quite a while before they are acceptable at WDW.
I know it took many years to get the IBOT power wheelchair FDA approval and I would be it would take considerably longer than that to get approval for the Segway as an assistive device. Actually, it might never gain approval because once it does, insurance might have to pay for them and they are not very willing to pay for things that can be useful to anyone outside of a disability.

I'm actually getting a little confused and concerned about all of this: I read the article today on the banning of segways at disney then I saw a post on the resort board about Segway tours at Disney. I though this must be something else, not the same Segway. Sure enough starting 2/14 Epcot will offer segway tours at $80 per person admission not included. However people with special needs may not participate.

This concerns me!

Autumnblue

I assume that the same motivation underlying the Segway ban was behind the decision to make the WDW ECVs slow and difficult to tool around in. You can get around in them, but you can't zip around. I have seen several CMs using Segways and they were definitely zipping around (when it was not crowded). Here in Chicago, there was a big to do a while back about people using scooters (the kind where you stand on one foot and push off with the other). There were a lot of accidents and I think they are now illegal on sidewalks and roads.

Obviously it would be ideal for everyone to be able to use their adaptive device of choice. It's sort of like the whole DL debacle-- a few bad apples (or the potential for some bad apples where the Segway is concerned) creates problems for others who would not engage in the conduct that Disney is trying to prevent.

Re special needs access to a Segway tour, I bet that is because they are assuming that special needs means wc accessible and obviously they can't do that with a Segway which requires standing and the ability to steer by balancing (my dh tried one out on the DCL). There are a lot of different needs out there and I would hope and assume that they would try to make it work if they could (eg, they can't accommodate me as I can't stand well enough for a Segway no matter what they do, but they could provide assistance for someone using a Segway who is HoH).

I am glad I read this thread, as it educated me about the scope of the Segway as an assistive device.

:wave: Cupcake

I can see why Disney might want to ban their use in the parks, for everyone, not just the disabled.

I have enough trouble in crowds in my powerchair, with people cutting in or stopping suddenly in front of me. I often have to stop dead to avoid running into people's feet. I dread to think what happens when someone steps in front of a Segway.

I assume Segway riders carry accident insurance! (I have cover at home as part of my household insurance, and at Disney as part of my travel insurance)

I also believe that 12mph is too fast for crowded areas like Disney Parks. Here in the UK, I am limited by law to 4mph on sidewalks (and will often be moving much slower than that in crowds) and 8mph on the highway.

Andrew

The Segway Experience is about 75% Segway operating class and 25% a ride through World Showcase on a Segway Before That Area Opens to Guests . WDW CMs do use Segways, but those who use them have been though extensive mandatory safety classes. Segways are not allowed for the same reason that skateboards, bicycles, and scooters are banned. To frame a ban on unregulated Segway use by guests as an affront to the disabled, or being asked to use a wheelchair/ecv instead of a Segway as an intentionally demeaning practice is more than a bit extreme (even bordering on the paranoid).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter