Seems expensive to me....

jpmom

Always Disney Bound!
DVC Gold
Looking at the ABD prices for trips in the US and abroad.

Seems expensive to me -- $10,000 + for a family of four BEFORE airfare and spending $$$. Depending on where it is - could be $12k-$15k when it's all said and done.

When you break it down, do you find that these trips are worth it?

Yup! We are doing our 4th trip this Christmas, and I love every minute of the ABD experience--when you break it down (two guides, the extra touches, the excellent accommodations, and best of all, a feeling of relaxation because I can trust ABD to take care of all of the details), it has been worth it to us. (And we are not wealthy by any means--but we are willing to save up for these trips, and provide our kids with a better perspective of the world). Disney does a nice job with the storytelling, too, which keeps our kids (9 and 15 currently) engaged and interested.

I agree! While it is true that ABD trips are very expensive, the quality of the experience is worth the expense. We ran into difficulty during an ABD trip last summer. They provided exceptional customer service and helped us resolve issues they had not caused. Every person we encountered through ABD was professional, thoughtful and truly interested in helping us.

ABD is expensive, but the benefits are priceless. You get a vacation in an exotic location, guides who assist with absolutely every aspect of the trip, quality accomodations, and you will learn about your destination in a fun and exciting manner.

I cannot wait to go again!

Was worth every peanut butter and jelly sandwich I packed for lunch at work in order to save! As well as easy mac and tuna!::rotfl:

BSM adults only is next on my list! :thumbsup2

Looking at the ABD prices for trips in the US and abroad.

Seems expensive to me -- $10,000 + for a family of four BEFORE airfare and spending $$$. Depending on where it is - could be $12k-$15k when it's all said and done.

When you break it down, do you find that these trips are worth it?
I agree... I was looking at some of the ABD trips today and trying to justify the price for a family of four. Adding overseas airfare, spending money, etc... just seems to be sooooooo much. Even the stateside trips just seem to be way on the high end cost wise.
However, I imagine having the peace of mind of a Disney quality vacay, with all the planning done for you is indeed worth top dollar...

Try breaking down the costs some and see how you feel about it then.
They are expensive
But.... with our Ireland trip we were often visiting 3 things a day. If you think about entrance fees to attractions 2,3,4 times a day and usually 2 meals a day plus the guides, hotel rooms, transportation it really adds up.
It still may not seem like a value to you-but I think it at least makes more sense.
We also felt like we were paying for a few other things -
We NEVER waited in line to get into an attraction
Other kids for our kids to play with
Fun people to travel with
Recommendations on restaurants etc... on our free time
A bus driver who was a rock -seriously nothing phased this guy (closed roads, sheep -you name it)
Built in photographers!
Local experts in addition to our disney guides who were very well versed on the area.
Help if something went wrong
never having to carry luggage
Never arguing with my husband in the front seat of a rental car about which way to go
Never having to decide if an attraction was worth the price of admission -it was already paid for.

For us personally -it felt like we got our money's worth. It may not be worth it to you.

Can you do it cheaper on your own? Certainly -but you will have to "work" more before and during and you may not have centrally located hotels.

I know lots of people who have been to Ireland -but haven't spoke to anyone who has seen as much or done as much as we did in our week:)

I have to agree with everybody else so far.Well worth it,everything is taken care from the limo from the airport to the hotel and everything else.We did one this year Spirit of America and had a very good time.I have booked Alaska for us for next year already,and can't wait to go.Might be a little high end but it's worth every penny to us.

Thanks everyone!!! Your opinions are really helping me justify the expense, which when you look at it, ll makes sense. Just hard to get past that initial sticker shock of the big number.
I guess it also helps that I had already planned on booking a 3-day cruise next year w/ my boys during the promo period which I could get the free cruise.
Right now I am just considering the Grand Canyon Vacation, has anyone done this one? I should also mention that am a single mom, so no other adult traveling with me. And although I have lived in Italy, (during my childless years), I am not sure if my boys are old enough to appreciate the European adventures yet... (DS4 and DS11). Thought I would start slowly... Grand Canyon is somewhere I had also always planned on taking them. As they get older I would love to venture overseas.
Is anyone here a single parent and taken part in ABD?

Thanks everyone!!! Your opinions are really helping me justify the expense, which when you look at it, ll makes sense. Just hard to get past that initial sticker shock of the big number.
I guess it also helps that I had already planned on booking a 3-day cruise next year w/ my boys during the promo period which I could get the free cruise.
Right now I am just considering the Grand Canyon Vacation, has anyone done this one? I should also mention that am a single mom, so no other adult traveling with me. And although I have lived in Italy, (during my childless years), I am not sure if my boys are old enough to appreciate the European adventures yet... (DS4 and DS11). Thought I would start slowly... Grand Canyon is somewhere I had also always planned on taking them. As they get older I would love to venture overseas.
Is anyone here a single parent and taken part in ABD?

As another single mom, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Even though the trips are expensive it is definitely worth it for me. The idea of traveling alone with my son, especially to another country where I couldn't speak the language, was very initimidating. The first ABD trip we took was to Costa Rica and it made it so easy to have someone else take care of all the details. I felt much safer and could just relax and have fun. We took the Alaska trip this year, and now that we've been, I think I could have handled that one on my own, but it was still worth it to have the company of our fellow travelers and to have someone else do all the research and planning and, of course, schlepping our luggage around. We've been staying away from the European trips so far too, because many of them are museum heavy. But my 9-year-old has Alpine Magic on the top of his list for 2010. He had Germany on the list too. After looking through the itineraries he said he would be happy with anything but the two Italy trips. Guess we'll have to wait until he's a little older before he appreciates the Sistine Chapel. Still haven't booked anything yet for next summer, but I got a 5% rewards offer on my Disney Visa and that along with the 6-months no interest is so tempting.

Still haven't booked anything yet for next summer, but I got a 5% rewards offer on my Disney Visa and that along with the 6-months no interest is so tempting.
5% rewards offer on your Disney Visa??? Can you please elaborate on that one??? :) I have a Disney Visa, and haven't seen anything about that...

Sayhello

Right now I am just considering the Grand Canyon Vacation, has anyone done this one?
:teeth: Has anyone done this one... ;) Check out my trip report (in my signature)! It's pretty detailed, and gives you a really good idea of what's included in this trip. (And a little hint: I LOVED this trip!)

There are several others on this board who have done this trip, also! Check out the sticky at the top of the forum, with links to others' trip reports!

Sayhello

5% rewards offer on your Disney Visa??? Can you please elaborate on that one??? :) I have a Disney Visa, and haven't seen anything about that...

Sayhello

The offers come in snail mail and email occasionally. It's 5% off purchases with a maximum reward of $200, so that would be $200 plus the usual 1%. I think I get them fairly often because I mainly use the card just for Disney vacations and I pay it off before I have to pay any interest and they're trying to get me (and others like me) to use it more often. Sometimes it's on particular categories of purchases, but this offer was on any type of purchase. I could book a trip with some other company and pay for it with my Disney Visa and still get the 5%, but I wouldn't have the 6-months no interest, which doesn't save me anything, of course, but it's just nice not to pay that big lump sum all at once. I'm counting up every nickle and dime I can possibly save to try to give myself an excuse to go ahead and book a trip. :)

The offers come in snail mail and email occasionally. It's 5% off purchases with a maximum reward of $200, so that would be $200 plus the usual 1%. I think I get them fairly often because I mainly use the card just for Disney vacations and I pay it off before I have to pay any interest and they're trying to get me (and others like me) to use it more often. Sometimes it's on particular categories of purchases, but this offer was on any type of purchase. I could book a trip with some other company and pay for it with my Disney Visa and still get the 5%, but I wouldn't have the 6-months no interest, which doesn't save me anything, of course, but it's just nice not to pay that big lump sum all at once. I'm counting up every nickle and dime I can possibly save to try to give myself an excuse to go ahead and book a trip. :)
Thanks! I'm going to have to see if I can track that offer down, because I always put my major purchases (including travel) on my Disney Visa. And an extra $200 in Disney Reward dollars sounds good to me! (I pay the thing off immediately, too. Otherwise the interest eats up the rewards...)

Sayhello

looking up old posts on ABD and was wondering if you actually went on your trip. I am single mom too and it is tough to justify the cost. I guess you look at the triple rate be/c all 3 would be in same room?

:teeth: Has anyone done this one... ;) Check out my trip report (in my signature)! It's pretty detailed, and gives you a really good idea of what's included in this trip. (And a little hint: I LOVED this trip!)

There are several others on this board who have done this trip, also! Check out the sticky at the top of the forum, with links to others' trip reports!

Sayhello
OK, all I have to say after viewing your trip report is WOW!!!! It looks AMAZING!!! I know my boys would absolutely love it! (And so would I!!!!)

looking up old posts on ABD and was wondering if you actually went on your trip. I am single mom too and it is tough to justify the cost. I guess you look at the triple rate be/c all 3 would be in same room?
Ummmm..This isn't an old post... :confused3 It's from yesterday. Not sure she had time to take the trip between yesterday and today!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

I'm sure folks who *have* taken trips as a single mom can give you tons of answers!

Sayhello

OK, all I have to say after viewing your trip report is WOW!!!! It looks AMAZING!!! I know my boys would absolutely love it! (And so would I!!!!)
:cool1: Thanks! I'm glad I could help. I happen to think it's one of ABD's best itineraries, and have shamelessly pimped it all over this forum! :goodvibes

Sayhello

While not a single mom, my DH and I took the Grand Canyon (Southwest Splendors) trip this past October. It was an adults only trip and it was WONDERFUL! I had sticker shock as well, but didn't realize the value of what we got till we got home. One of the other travelers in our group was attempting a mental calculation of what we would of spent if we did it on our own and he came pretty close to what we paid. I am the family vacation planner and my head would of exploded trying to put all of this together. And our guides, Geraldine and Tiffany, were wonderful. There is no price that I could put on having a tour guide point out different things, take care of EVERYTHING and these two were the Best!
I only wish these tours were out when my kids were younger. They would of enjoyed them as I would have with them..

We also had a great time on the Southwest Splendors (Grand Canyon) trip. It was pricey - but one of the perks was that you stayed in the modest hotel right on the rim of the Canyon. Some people were disappointed with the hotel, but it was part of what made the trip fantastic - getting up at sunrise, staying out at sunset, it just couldn't be beat. I think it is hard to get a reservation there if you are doing this trip on your own.

I'm not as convinced that ABD is necessary for domestic trips vs. Europe, but if I were going with my kids and no other adult, I'd definitely do a group trip - one of the very nice things about it is that not only do the kids get to make friends, but you do too, and you don't have to worry about anything. If you can afford it, you should give it a try - you'll have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter