Seeking opinions: Blue Bayou Lunch or Fantasmic Dinner Package

hungrygreenhippo

DIS Veteran
My boyfriend and I live in Orlando, and will be visiting DLR for 2 days in April. He's pretty easy going and lets me do the planning, but he did make a request to dine at Blue Bayou. Even though we have Fantasmic at WDW, I really want to see the DL version. Originally I was planning to book the Blue Bayou Fantasmic Dinner Package. For this short trip, I don't mind paying more to maximize our time. However nothing on the dinner menu really appeals to me. During the trip I really want a Monte Cristo, which I know I can get at Cafe Orleans. But with only 2 days and a long list of food that I want to eat, I'm debating...

Do lunch at Cafe Orleans and dinner at Blue Bayou for the Fantasmic package.

Do lunch at Blue Bayou and just get a fastpass for Fantasmic; then we can free up dinner to eat somewhere with a menu we're more excited about.

What do you think?

Sounds like you will be happier with lunch at Blue Bayou. You can just get a regular FP for Fantasmic. I wouldn't waste any meals when you only have 2 days. Only eat what you really want to eat.

I’m shooting for lunch at Orleans and then dinner at B.B. for our trip but if the dinner menu doesn’t appeal to you, definitely just do lunch at B.B. and get dinner where you please!

I would do lunch at CO and dinner at BB. The food is really disappointing at BB so you can fill up at lunch and maybe just get an app at dinner. The location is just amazing at the BB. We sat at the water's edge and it was just so cool! You are sitting in the dark for at least an hour, so doing at night feels better when you are done (not walking out to bright sunlight!). Either way, you will enjoy the location!

If seeing Fantasmic is your goal, I would do the dining package. Unlike in WDW where you have stadium seating for Fantasmic, in DL, you just stand in a giant mass of people—unless you do the B.B. dining. That and RBT are the only guaranteed seating areas. You will be sitting on the concrete and if you do B.B. (not RBT) they give you a little cushion. It’s a nice souvenir as it is branded.

Yes, you can get a FP for Fantasmic for one of the side viewing areas, but since it is standing, you run into the problem of taller people (if you are short like me), iPad people, kids on shoulders and mouse ears. None of these are bad things, but if your goal is to see the show, they can dampen the experience a little bit.

FWIW, the DL version blows the WDW version out of the water.

We just did the Fantastic package and thought it was really worth it. We came from the east coast and wanted to maximize seeing everything the best way possible. This fantastic was a totally different experience than what we were used to, similar story, but everything looked so different in this setting. This package gets you the absolute best seats front and center. Plus a seat cushion, and we didn't have to line up super early like everyone else. The food was really good and everyone in our party enjoyed their meal. I would snag a monte cristo at lunch from Cafe Orleans.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm still torn, but you guys have given me some things to think about. I need to make a decision or going for the food I want, vs a prime spot for Fantasmic. Either way, I know we'll still have an amazing time at Disneyland!

I would do the dining package. We just got back and the Fantasmic at DL is IMO, way better than at DHS. We loved every minute of that show and loved the front and center water's edge seating that the dining package gave us. In the BB package area, you are required to sit on the ground, but you get seat cushions from the restaurant for the dining package.

If seeing Fantasmic is your goal, I would do the dining package. Unlike in WDW where you have stadium seating for Fantasmic, in DL, you just stand in a giant mass of people—unless you do the B.B. dining. That and RBT are the only guaranteed seating areas. You will be sitting on the concrete and if you do B.B. (not RBT) they give you a little cushion. It’s a nice souvenir as it is branded.
I had no idea you got a cushion as part of the B.B. package. This changes everything for my wife because she hates sitting on the concrete. Didn't one of the dessert packages offer benches or chairs, or did I remember that wrong?

I had no idea you got a cushion as part of the B.B. package. This changes everything for my wife because she hates sitting on the concrete. Didn't one of the dessert packages offer benches or chairs, or did I remember that wrong?

The dessert party used to but no longer exists in that incarnation sadly

This is seriously the same conundrum I've always had with BB. Also, the only way to guarantee a waterside table is an early 11am lunch reservation.

There's no better meal to me than starting with the gumbo, then having the Monte Cristo with the au gratin potatoes. But ugh... the Fantasmic area is the best.

What to do, what to do..

My boyfriend and I live in Orlando, and will be visiting DLR for 2 days in April. He's pretty easy going and lets me do the planning, but he did make a request to dine at Blue Bayou. Even though we have Fantasmic at WDW, I really want to see the DL version. Originally I was planning to book the Blue Bayou Fantasmic Dinner Package. For this short trip, I don't mind paying more to maximize our time. However nothing on the dinner menu really appeals to me. During the trip I really want a Monte Cristo, which I know I can get at Cafe Orleans. But with only 2 days and a long list of food that I want to eat, I'm debating...

Do lunch at Cafe Orleans and dinner at Blue Bayou for the Fantasmic package.

Do lunch at Blue Bayou and just get a fastpass for Fantasmic; then we can free up dinner to eat somewhere with a menu we're more excited about.

What do you think?

I wonder if you could request a monte Cristo even though it's not on the regular dinner menu? It's on the lunch menu so I assume they are capable of making it. That is a bit pricy for a sandwich for me, though, since you would be paying for the dining package. So nothing on the menu looks good to you? I haven't eaten there since I was a teenager, so I can't speak to the food really, but the menu seems to have quite a bit of variety (pork, chicken, beef, lamb, salmon, lobster, bouillabaisse, portobello mushroom). I have heard that they will make things for vegetarians other than the portobello mushroom on the menu, so maybe that is an option for you as well. I would like to eat there sometime soon (adults only or when my little one is capable of sitting still that long for a meal!).

There was a time when I would have strongly recommended the Blue Bayou for dinner, or lunch, however that time is no longer as a result of an almost 100% fail a few weeks ago. I had ordered the Surf and Turf. Big mistake. Although I hadn't an issue but one time with the fillet mignon, which was fine with the replacement, in the past. This time however it was a comedy of errors. Rubbery lobster tail, over seasoned meat, even over seasoned vegetables. The bread, house salad and mashed potatoes were reasonably tasty. So that is what I ended up eating, because with each replacement there was no improvement. Absolutely none. I ate very little from those plates, and between what I had to remove from my mouth, or leave on the plate otherwise, made me wish I hadn't dined there at all. So.....my recommendation is to make a reservation at the Chef's Counter at the Napa Rose. You will not be disappointed there. I wish I had gone there instead. Now to get the bad taste out of my mouth, and in an attempt to console myself from the boorish behavior from the BB supervisor that night, I made a reservation at the Chef's Counter. I had been last year, and throughly enjoyed my dining experience. Honestly you will too. There are two seatings, one at 5 p.m. and at 8 p.m.

There was a time when I would have strongly recommended the Blue Bayou for dinner, or lunch, however that time is no longer as a result of an almost 100% fail a few weeks ago. I had ordered the Surf and Turf. Big mistake. Although I hadn't an issue but one time with the fillet mignon, which was fine with the replacement, in the past. This time however it was a comedy of errors. Rubbery lobster tail, over seasoned meat, even over seasoned vegetables. The bread, house salad and mashed potatoes were reasonably tasty. So that is what I ended up eating, because with each replacement there was no improvement. Absolutely none. I ate very little from those plates, and between what I had to remove from my mouth, or leave on the plate otherwise, made me wish I hadn't dined there at all...
Did you leave a comment at City Hall or send in a comment online about your experience? Disney management should hear about what happened with your food and with the staff. Be specific about the problems, how this experience compared to past visits to the restaurant, and what could have been done to improve/resolve matters. Reporting this problem will help future guests to have better experiences at BB.

Did you leave a comment at City Hall or send in a comment online about your experience? Disney management should hear about what happened with your food and with the staff. Be specific about the problems, how this experience compared to past visits to the restaurant, and what could have been done to improve/resolve matters. Reporting this problem will help future guests to have better experiences at BB.

Yes. I went to City Hall afterward, and guess I will not hear back. I was hoping to receive an email, but nothing. I had attempted on three different occasions, once back in Northern California to communicate with the F&B manager of the BB, by phone or email, but I wasn't even given his or her name. Apparently it's some kind of big secret. And you have to go through guest relations to leave a message. No matter how many times one may ask. That's ridiculous in my opinion.

I wonder if you could request a monte Cristo even though it's not on the regular dinner menu? It's on the lunch menu so I assume they are capable of making it. That is a bit pricy for a sandwich for me, though, since you would be paying for the dining package. So nothing on the menu looks good to you? I haven't eaten there since I was a teenager, so I can't speak to the food really, but the menu seems to have quite a bit of variety (pork, chicken, beef, lamb, salmon, lobster, bouillabaisse, portobello mushroom). I have heard that they will make things for vegetarians other than the portobello mushroom on the menu, so maybe that is an option for you as well. I would like to eat there sometime soon (adults only or when my little one is capable of sitting still that long for a meal!).

Sure there are things that I would eat, but nothing that excites me and makes me look forward to the meal. I'm leaning toward the package though and I'm trying to convince myself that it's worth it for the atmosphere and the awesome Fantasmic seating.

Yes. I went to City Hall afterward, and guess I will not hear back. I was hoping to receive an email, but nothing...
Send in a comment via the website, too. We've found that to be the better, more reliable option when we want a response. Track record for us at City Hall as far as getting a response is hit or miss. But we get a response back most of the time, either by phone or email (make sure you leave all your contact information), when we use the webpage link. Emphasize in your comment that you really would like to speak with someone about your experience. It may take a few days, but someone should get back to you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter