{Seeking Advice} Vacationing @ WDW with a 16month old! Any Tips or Tricks???

surface77

Frequenting Disney World Since 1981
Hello all! Thanks for stopping by!

I'm writing in hopes of gaining advice for visiting WDW w/ a 1yr old.

Here's the skinny...

I'm a seasoned veteran when it comes to visiting WDW and staying at any of the Deluxe Resorts. I've visited many times and even had my wedding and honeymoon there (as you can see from my siggie below). This however means NADA with my upcoming trip in September. Okay, well...not NADA but it's going to be a Whole New World since this will be my first time traveling with a child and a one year old at that! Go big or go home...right???

The Travelers...

My Daughter, Savannah - 16 months old
My Husband, Frank - 36 yrs old and WDW veteran
Myself, Sarah - 33 (info above)

The lowdown...

• Trip Dates: 9/3/11 - 9/10/11
  • Resort: Beach Club
  • Tix: 7 day park hopper
  • Dining: Plus Dining Plan
  • Transportation: Airplane with our Jeep Jogging Stroller in tow!
  • ADRs include; Crystal Palace dinner, Cape May dinner, Coral Reef lunch, Hollywood & Vine breakfast, & 50s Prime Time dinner

How you can help...

I'd LOVE any advice, tips, tricks, suggestions on how to have a successful trip with a 16 month old that I would not see on the common websites. You know, the REAL stuff that only seasoned parents know. :laughing:

Thanks, ya'll!!!

Can't wait to start taking notes. :coffee:...pen and paper are ready....

Use the baby centers located in all the parks, i loved this we my son was 14 months since he could watch a movie they had playing and it was so much more easier to change him there since they have special rooms for changing. We leave soon and my other son will be 10 months this trip and i plan on using the baby centers the entire time we are there.

Use the baby centers located in all the parks, i loved this we my son was 14 months since he could watch a movie they had playing and it was so much more easier to change him there since they have special rooms for changing. We leave soon and my other son will be 10 months this trip and i plan on using the baby centers the entire time we are there.

Thanks, Arwen! Baby Care Centers...Check!

Have a magical tip! Any favorite rides/attractions your son had from his visit at 14 months?

We really regretted not staying at a monorail resort. It would have saved us a lot of time when our DD was 19 months. Prepurchase the photopass cd. It was worth every penny to enjoy the character interactions and not worry about getting enough pictures or capturing the moments. If your little one hasn't had their first haircut, consider doing this at the Harmony Barber Shop. Such a fun experience for us and completely reasonable for pricing, especially since a pair of Mickey Ears are included.

bring a carrier to wear her in. I been using a CatBird baby pikkolo carrier for the last 3 trips. My ds is now 4 and manages fairly well w/ just the stroller and walking. He been going since he been 13 months old.

I would wear him to help him sleep or just when he got cranky and wanted nothing to do with the stroller.

Definitely the baby centers-- wonderful place to relax. they even allowed the whole family in to have lunch (3 more dc)!

Take advantage of the rider switch pass. that way both of you can experience the faster rides.

bring extras- pacifier esp if your dd uses one. DS managed to toss his one day at DHS. we never found it. Bring the plastic tablecovers that stick to the tables for her eating. Blanked on the name. That way the food is on a clean surface also bring pint size spoon/fork with you. Just remember to pack them back up after the meal is over. We just left one at ESPN club last week!

We never went back to the resort for naps. Our luck would be they would pass out on the bus to the resort and wake up as soon as the bus got there. we used the stroller/carrier for all naps. When the first 2 were little we would spend that time strolling thru the shops and just enjoying each other.

Have fun. I love taking them when they are little. Ours have gone at 18 months, 24 months, 16 months and 13 months as their first trip. It is soo wonderful to see it thru their eyes.

Water and Snacks!

Remember their little bodies need more water then ours and they tend to need more snacks then us. Consider things like animal crackers or cheeze it's for your little one to snack on, or better yet share a Mickey Bar/Fruit Bar with her!

We really regretted not staying at a monorail resort. It would have saved us a lot of time when our DD was 19 months. Prepurchase the photopass cd. It was worth every penny to enjoy the character interactions and not worry about getting enough pictures or capturing the moments. If your little one hasn't had their first haircut, consider doing this at the Harmony Barber Shop. Such a fun experience for us and completely reasonable for pricing, especially since a pair of Mickey Ears are included.

Thanks so much for the tips, Luckyfin!

Ahhh...this is my biggest fear! We always stay at an MK monorail resort but I decided to go w/ the Beach Club for their pool and location to Epcot for more options for QS foods (since DD might not be up for a ton of table service). But have been hesitant b/c it's not on the monorail line. I think we should be fine though (fingers crossed) other families do it...(trying to stay positive).

Yes, I've toyed around w/ purchasing the Memory package w/ photopass. (unfortunately, we cannot receive the free dining & memory package promo *Memories Vacation Package* currently running since I opted for a room rate deep discount instead). Wondering if I should pre-order the Ultimate Memories Package for $145??? :confused3

My daughter does need her first haircut (bangs only) and I briefly thought about using the Barbershop. Do they trim girls hair and do they do a great job?

bring a carrier to wear her in. I been using a CatBird baby pikkolo carrier for the last 3 trips. My ds is now 4 and manages fairly well w/ just the stroller and walking. He been going since he been 13 months old.

I would wear him to help him sleep or just when he got cranky and wanted nothing to do with the stroller.

Definitely the baby centers-- wonderful place to relax. they even allowed the whole family in to have lunch (3 more dc)!

Take advantage of the rider switch pass. that way both of you can experience the faster rides.

bring extras- pacifier esp if your dd uses one. DS managed to toss his one day at DHS. we never found it. Bring the plastic tablecovers that stick to the tables for her eating. Blanked on the name. That way the food is on a clean surface also bring pint size spoon/fork with you. Just remember to pack them back up after the meal is over. We just left one at ESPN club last week!

We never went back to the resort for naps. Our luck would be they would pass out on the bus to the resort and wake up as soon as the bus got there. we used the stroller/carrier for all naps. When the first 2 were little we would spend that time strolling thru the shops and just enjoying each other.

Have fun. I love taking them when they are little. Ours have gone at 18 months, 24 months, 16 months and 13 months as their first trip. It is soo wonderful to see it thru their eyes.

Wow! Great advice, Mykidslovedisney! Thanks! I have a couple of questions...

1. Are you saying to bring a carrier to wear her in even though she walks and we have a stroller? We do have our baby bjorn that she might still fit in but we haven't used it in so long b/c she's been walking for about 4 months now.

2. Did you find that by allowing your kids to nap in the stroller was just as effective as if having them in their bed at the hotel? I ask b/c I know our DD will nap in her stoller since she's used to being out and about w/ us for long periods of time. I know all kids are different just curious if your kids seemed just as refreshed when they woke up or if they seemed at all a little off.

Water and Snacks!

Remember their little bodies need more water then ours and they tend to need more snacks then us. Consider things like animal crackers or cheeze it's for your little one to snack on, or better yet share a Mickey Bar/Fruit Bar with her!

Thanks, disneywatcher! Yes, my DD loves her water and is great about drinking it. I'll be sure to have her cup and get plenty of free water refills. :thumbsup2 Oh, and snacks...check! Love the idea of sharing a Mickey Bar/Fruit Bar...I'm already dreaming of introducing her to the infamous Dole Whip! :woohoo:

Just realize NOW.. this will be a different trip....not worse or better..just different. Even a seasoned parker will see something new with a 1 yr old:lovestruc

I took my DD when she was 5 months, 14 months (2,3 and 4)
Bring lots of drinks. keep them froozen @ the hotel fridge (capri sun 100% juice works great for freezing) another tip was purchasing little toys at the dollar store ( disposable items) Disney themed. Have them on hand to pull out of your purse when she is bored.

Our DD was pretty easy in the parks and didn't require much...she was so happy and entertained .. I didn't even need half the crap I brought that I thought I would NEED.

All I needed was to remember children like repation.. that means you maybe on the carousel 6 times and waiting for Dumbo 4 times....and frustrated that you haven't left fantasyland in 5 hours ??? You'll leave the park for the evening and think what a great time you had ...yet never road splash mountain..not even once.

We have taken our DD 5 times and she is only 4. So I have a lot of experience taking a little one to WDW. Here's what I would suggest:
- take your own stroller, we have a Maclaren and it is a life saver. It folds easily and reclines. Also see if you can get a diaper bag that attaches to the stroller. It will free up the basket for...
- bring lots of snacks. It helps when you are waiting in line or at restaurants when waiting for food.
- pack a large ziploc bag with all the dining stuff you'll need. I pack a bowl, utencils, bib, sport bottle tops (use them on water bottles you buy in the park) and straws.
- as PP said, go to the Baby Center. It gives your DC a break and a quiet place to change diapers.

We are lucky that our DD was a great stroller napper. She would nap for almost an hour at a time. We would find quiet places in the park or just walk with her. We would also bring her lovey so she knew it was nap time.

I know someone who got their DD's hair done at the Barber shop, so they do girl's hair. They make a huge deal out of first hair cuts.

HTH!

Just realize NOW.. this will be a different trip....not worse or better..just different. Even a seasoned parker will see something new with a 1 yr old:lovestruc

I took my DD when she was 5 months, 14 months (2,3 and 4)
Bring lots of drinks. keep them froozen @ the hotel fridge (capri sun 100% juice works great for freezing) another tip was purchasing little toys at the dollar store ( disposable items) Disney themed. Have them on hand to pull out of your purse when she is bored.

Our DD was pretty easy in the parks and didn't require much...she was so happy and entertained .. I didn't even need half the crap I brought that I thought I would NEED.

All I needed was to remember children like repation.. that means you maybe on the carousel 6 times and waiting for Dumbo 4 times....and frustrated that you haven't left fantasyland in 5 hours ??? You'll leave the park for the evening and think what a great time you had ...yet never road splash mountain..not even once.

Thanks, Tricia's mom! I'll need to make a trip to the $ store - great idea b/c I'm always worried about DD dropping her toys and loosing them. Especially her FP Little People. I won't care if we loose dollar store items. ;)

Oh yes, repetition. I'm getting myself prepared to hear It's a Small World over and over and over and over....:rotfl: since DD LOVES music and is already familiar w/ the theme park music from our Happiest Celebration on Earth CD.

We have taken our DD 5 times and she is only 4. So I have a lot of experience taking a little one to WDW. Here's what I would suggest:
- take your own stroller, we have a Maclaren and it is a life saver. It folds easily and reclines. Also see if you can get a diaper bag that attaches to the stroller. It will free up the basket for...
- bring lots of snacks. It helps when you are waiting in line or at restaurants when waiting for food.
- pack a large ziploc bag with all the dining stuff you'll need. I pack a bowl, utencils, bib, sport bottle tops (use them on water bottles you buy in the park) and straws.
- as PP said, go to the Baby Center. It gives your DC a break and a quiet place to change diapers.

We are lucky that our DD was a great stroller napper. She would nap for almost an hour at a time. We would find quiet places in the park or just walk with her. We would also bring her lovey so she knew it was nap time.

I know someone who got their DD's hair done at the Barber shop, so they do girl's hair. They make a huge deal out of first hair cuts.

HTH!

Yes, your advice did help! Thanks, Timkermama! :woohoo: Happy to hear the barber shop does girl's hair! Just needing bangs but I couldn't think of a better place for a first trim.

Did you and your DH ever do the bigger rides while your DD napped in the stroller?

Any great tips for where to wait with a walking 1 yr old for the parades and or fireworks at any of the parks???

If I check-in in advance will it ruin my chances of possibly getting a room upgrade that I normally might be able to receive upon checking in upon arrival to the resort???

How can I make sure to get a table near the aquarium for our ADR @ Coral Reef? I feel this would be an awesome experience for my DD while we eat!

Anyone know about taking floats for the pool at the Beach Club for a baby???

Ahhh...this is my biggest fear! We always stay at an MK monorail resort but I decided to go w/ the Beach Club for their pool and location to Epcot for more options for QS foods (since DD might not be up for a ton of table service). But have been hesitant b/c it's not on the monorail line. I think we should be fine though (fingers crossed) other families do it...(trying to stay positive).

We were at AKL with DD when she was 16 months old and definitely not a problem not being on the monorail. Just take your time and you’ll be fine!

My daughter does need her first haircut (bangs only) and I briefly thought about using the Barbershop. Do they trim girls hair and do they do a great job?

They definitely do girls’ haircuts and they were great with my DD, but she was 3 at the time. I couldn’t bring myself to cut her hair until recently!

2. Did you find that by allowing your kids to nap in the stroller was just as effective as if having them in their bed at the hotel? I ask b/c I know our DD will nap in her stoller since she's used to being out and about w/ us for long periods of time. I know all kids are different just curious if your kids seemed just as refreshed when they woke up or if they seemed at all a little off.

My DD was fine with stroller naps, but you’ll find out after the first day how yours does. We tried to go back to the resort for naps when she was 16 months and she fell asleep on the bus and woke up when we arrived at the resort. Wasn’t ideal for us. Even on our last trip, she stroller napped, although we had to tell her it was ok to nap and that we would ride more rides after she woke up.

I second the vote for the Maclaren stroller. And find something to tie to it to make it unique and easy to find in the sea of stroller parking.

I also suggest bring a couple of extra plastic bags (Ziplocs or extra produce/shopping bags) for wet clothes or leftover snacks or anything!

For waiting for fireworks/parades, we've found that a balloon can be very entertaining. Or glow sticks from the dollar store.

Have fun!!!!

We took DD for one day at MK in May (she was 6 days shy of 1) and will be taking her again in 25 days for her 1st REAL trip :0)
Here are some things I found helpful:
http://www.amazon.com/BooginHead-BL...s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1313767349&sr=1-1 This product attaches the ever important sippy cup to strollers, highchair, yourself, etc. I loved not losing them and not having them hit the ground!
We tried to stick to DD schedule when I noticed it getting around naptime and her getting tired, we went on nice long stroll and then when we noticed she was asleep we went into the stores to shop. She did fine in the stroller for naps.
We took small toys like magnadoodles for lines.
Ahead of time I had her watch the Disneyland Fun Sing Along Songs DVD and she LOVED meeting Mickey and Minnie that we did it twice.
I also have a blanket that ties to the stroller so when she naps its a lil darker for her
Here it is(I wish it was better but it gives you an idea, its pulled back here)

MSB1.jpg

Hope this helps and you have a great magical trip!:goodvibes

We took DD when she was 16 months old. Find any and all play areas for her to play in and let her go. Tour at her pace and if she wants to stop and talk with the ducks for 30 minutes, let her. She will get burnt out and cranky if you push her. Give her time to nap in the afternoon or in the stroller. We walked DD in the stroller through every shop just to get a/c on her. Buy a stroller fan. Buy a stroller shade to keep the sun off her, I got the Stroller Bub (or baby bub or something like that) one on amazon, it is awesome. Carry more snacks and drinks than you think you'll need. Take her on all the fun kiddie type rides. DD loved the Nemo ride and we spent most of three days in The Seas with the "ish."

Have fun!

Take & toss sliverware... Best $2 I ever spent, so much easier than feeding DD with adult utensils and cheap enough not to worry about losing. That $2 package is 6 forks/6 spoons, plenty to last the trip even when a few got misplaced.

Bring a leash for your toddler's favorite sippy cup. You can buy them but I made ours so that it isn't quite long enough for the cup to hit the ground if DD tosses it overboard.

Invest in a good stroller. We have a Peg Perego that folds to umbrella-stroller size but reclines fully and has a very wide sunshade, and it has made traveling so much easier!

Do something fun to mark your stroller. We tied a balloon to the lap bar (can't have that at AK, tho), wrapped glow sticks around the frame, and have a patchwork canopy (not a good solution if you care about resale value) that make our stroller stand out in the massive stroller parking lots outside Disney attractions.

Earplugs are a great help. We use the soft style that you can buy in kid-size at CVS for a few bucks (for a 10-pair pack) and put them in for fireworks, movies, and other especially loud attractions.

Harmony barbershop is great for baby's first haircut - both my girls had theirs there, and the 'first haircut' ears are just too cute.

My DD did fine with stroller naps. She doesn't sleep in hers at home so I was a bit concerned, but Disney just wore her out. She has now fallen asleep on the Haunted Mansion, during Captain EO, Muppetvision, Impressions of France, Oh Canada, and on Carousel of Progress too.

Favorite rides - Figment was a huge surprise hit with her, she remembered it from her trip at 16mo and specifically asked to ride it at 30mo. Of course Dumbo and its clones were great, also Nemo and Small World (which she also remembered and asked about from the 1st trip to the 2nd).

I am going with my almost 16mth old and 4 yr old in 4 DAYS!!

A couple of things:

- Bring swim diaper for her to play in the water fountains at Epcot and the water at AK

- For the baby carrier - please do NOT USE your bjorn (especially with the 16 mth old). How they sit in the carrier is very bad and very uncomfortable for them. Their knees should be higher than their bottom. I am bringing my carrier which I couldn't live without. If you were interested, I would recommend a Beco, Ergo, Boba or Olives and Applesauce (you buy all these online). You would want to use it before going though, so you and baby could get used to it.

- We always go back to nap/swim during the middle of the day. Also, we don't stay out a lot, so we'll see if we get to see any of the parades/shows/fireworks. I hope so, but we'll have to see how DD does (she currently goes to bed at 7, so I think that is where the carrier will come in handy!!)

For your ?'s

My kids did great in the stroller. They were all use to stroller napping and it worked out fine for us. I watched their cues and reclined them in the stroller - gave a blankie/stuffie if needed and took their sandels off. just a little walking and they were all out like a lite. Even ds4 that hardly ever naps anymore. took naps while we were there a few weeks ago. He even got off BTM and asked to lay down in the stroller for a nap!!

Some rides will put them to sleep too! Surprisingly Kilamarjo safari ride worked wonders on 2 of mine!

I would not recommend the baby bjorn for carrying your dd in the park. Besides it not being good for them your back will not love you either!! We would always bring the baby carrier into the park in our back pack and have it handy when needed. Our dd is petite so I would wear DS and she would hop into the stroller and ride if we were walking a distance. Definitely see if you can find somewhere to try out the carriers. I orginally went in to buy an Ergo but it didn't fit on my properly. The Pikkolo worked great. I do know Babies r us sells the ergo on line so you can always order ( might even be able to use a coupon too) and try it out. If it doesnt' work you can return it to the store. Sadly we didn't use the carrier this year. He is getting to the weight max of 40 lbs and is quite long. Ocassionally I back wear but not as much as I use to. Soo wish this was around 12 yrs ago w my first! There were days that we did forgo the stroller and just carried or let him walk especially on days we were not there all day. We were there in 08 for Tropical storm Fay. It rained so hard it made no sense to bring out the stroller. I hipped wore him and the rain poncho had a rip in it so he had his view out. It worked out great for us. Check out catbirdbaby online and facebook. the owner will occasionally post on FB discounted pikkolos that she has- usually model ones.

As for the parade don't be surprised if she doesn't like it ds4 to this day still does not like the parades or fireworks. Our trip earlier this month did not include any parades or fireworks bc he flips out with the music and noise.

Pack ur diaper changing stuff in ziploc baggies. Also change of clothes -- easier to grab and go w/o lugging the diaper bag in with you.

definitely mark your stroller some how. I accidently started walking away with what I thougth was our stroller in AK one year. DD noticed that it wasn't so I reparked the one I found in its spot and located ours.

for the pool they do offer life jackets to use. I wouldn't use anything blown up or arm floaties (very dangerous). My dd and ds wore their lifejackets when they were little. This year I took ours from home with us bc he is familiar with it.

hope this helps!

I'm now on the hunt for a carrier that not only I can sport but my DH as well! ;)

I've received such great advice thus far! A big Disney thank you to all of you who have offered your advice. I've been taking notes and already have followed through on a few.

Went to the dollar store yesterday and stocked up! So many fun Disney items and all for under $25! I even purchased glow bracelets to put on the stroller at night to identify it from parking. Also picked up ziplock bags. Okay so I have quite a few at home but I won't care about durability to use w/packing clothes and odds/end in. So, I thought get the generic brand for a dollar.

We also went to the Disney store in our mall this week and DD got her choice of all the stuffed animals and much to my surprise she went right for Minnie instead of Mickey! So Minnie it is (at least For the moment). We also grabbed Snow White DVD since I've been meaning to add it to our Library, pre-ordered Lion King (can't wait to see it on blu-ray!!!), and a couple t-shirts and pjs.

I'm not excited or anything. :rotfl:

Now, I need to figure out this check-in early thing. To do or not to do? That is the question...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter