Seeking advice ABD South Africa

Asc341

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

My mom (77YO) and I (36YO) are interested in doing ABD South Africa as a mother/daughter trip -- probably the last big one we'll do together!

My mom's VERY active, and loved her ABD trip to Egypt in 2021. However, she IS slowing down, and we've been wondering if South Africa will be too physically strenuous for her.

Has anyone done it + can advise?

Hi all,

My mom (77YO) and I (36YO) are interested in doing ABD South Africa as a mother/daughter trip -- probably the last big one we'll do together!

My mom's VERY active, and loved her ABD trip to Egypt in 2021. However, she IS slowing down, and we've been wondering if South Africa will be too physically strenuous for her.

I went this past summer (June 2023). It's an active trip, but there were several multi-generational families in the group, and everyone seemed fine. Nobody sat any of the activities out.

Not that is was ABD but my mother's last trip to South Africa was three years ago for her 85th birthday :) She is talking about going again (she has been there a lot of times) when she turns 90.

Hi all,

No advice except that I love this! My mom (74) and I (35) also travel together and had looked at the South Africa ABD for her 75th birthday next year. Unfortunately with flights being so expensive we just couldn't make it work for our budget so it got shelved for the time being, but I hope you do decide to go and that you have a great time!

We went under the "old" version which was longer and went up the coast, but many of the activities we did are still in the trip. If your mom is active, she will have no issues with this trip. Most of the walks are short and not strenuous. There are a lot of activities, but nothing particularly strenuous. The last part of the trip at Kapama will require very early hours and the ability to be still and quiet. Even our nine year old (gosh I can't remember exactly how old they were now!) daughters had no problems with it. Craig Ziman has been a local guide for many many years on this trip and remains one of the best - he will go above and beyond to take care of you. We still highly recommend this trip. Go while you can!

Hi,

We just completed our ABD England and France trip in October. This trip was go, go, go.... My Husband and I were remarking that the South Africa ABD was a much more relaxing trip (with downtime that we did not have on the London and France trip). We loved both trips, they were just different (apple to an orange).

2 things to consider: 1) the flight to South Africa is long. About 17-18 hours from Atlanta to Jo-berg. Plus the connection to Cape Town. 2) does she have mobility issues? She will need to get in and out of the safari vehicle 3 times per day when you get to the reserve.

Good luck on your decision!!

Hi,

We just completed our ABD England and France trip in October. This trip was go, go, go.... My Husband and I were remarking that the South Africa ABD was a much more relaxing trip (with downtime that we did not have on the London and France trip). We loved both trips, they were just different (apple to an orange).

2 things to consider: 1) the flight to South Africa is long. About 17-18 hours from Atlanta to Jo-berg. Plus the connection to Cape Town. 2) does she have mobility issues? She will need to get in and out of the safari vehicle 3 times per day when you get to the reserve.

Good luck on your decision!!
We flew LA to Atlanta and then direct nonstop Atlanta to Cape Town....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter