• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

see thru backpack

cherio

Mouseketeer
I read a while back that some people used a see thru backpack at the parks as it helps speed the security checks. Does this really speed up the process? I will packing some snacks in the backpack to eat throughout the day. I know this isn't "allowed" but is tolerated. Any thoughts?

I'm curious about whether the clear backpack will save any time at security. Won't they still have to look through your stuff, which still involves opening,etc....? Regarding the snacks, I'm sure that's not a problem, as long as they're not dangerous!!! Seriously, my impression about the role of the security people is that they are strictly looking for "potentially dangerous items" and are not concerned about minor rule-bending. Does anyone have experience with the clear backpacks, and do they still open and go through them?

i don't know about the backpacks, but in all honesty, the amount of time you would save with a clear backpack probably wouldn't be more than 30 seconds.

the security checks, at least in november, weren't super thorough, and only took about 30 -45 seconds.

I brought a clear backpack with me to the parks in Feb. and it was great! At AK, they just visually looked at it all the way around. When I went to MK, I had more stuff in it so I had it unzipped so they could look down the middle of the stuff to see towards the bottom. In general the security people appreciated it alot more than a regular backpack! :smooth:

PS. Found it on clearance for $5...couldn't beat the price!!!!

Took my clear bp in February & it did seem to save time. Most of the security I went to were looking at it while the person in front of me was zipping things back up. One even just handed it to me daughter without looking at it. I got it at WalMart for about $5.

We were in WDW early January when the parks were DEAD! (First full week of January)
It was still a pain. The peeking in the bag didn't take long at all. But rather than having several entry points for the guests, we were all being funneled (corraled?) to one entry place. And the line did move (slowly), except when you get behind someone with a stroller, backpacks, coolers. Some look like they are ready to board a plane on an overnight trip.
Plus you do have to be much more mindful of juggling your items and trying to make sure you don't misplace your tickets. :eek: Some locations had the tables away from the entry gates. Some were butted up against the gate. So that was bottlenecking. Those in front we jockeying around zipping up pouches and straighting their cargo while digging out tickets and trying to shove themselves and all they owned through the turnstile.
Security is barely even looking in any parcels. They either just peek inside or maybe have you shove one item to the side and peek in. I had one that missed a fannypack I was wearing (and had even forgotten I had it on).
My point -- Why bother with the whole thing?:rolleyes: Does it really make anyone feel more secure?

Thanks to all who replied. I have gone ahead and purchased one. It was only $5 at Office Max and that wasn't even on sale. I figured for that small price, if it makes someone's life easier just for a brief moment, then it was money well spent. Thanks again for all input.

We used a clear backpack in Feb & were told by a few security people that it makes things easier and that they wished more people had them.

We live in a part of the country where the high schools only allow backpacks that are clear or mesh. From experience with them, the clear plastic ones don't hold up well at all. My older son had a Jansport mesh one, which we then ordered for our younger son too because it lasted so well.

Does this really speed up the process?

Since Sept 11th:( I was at Disney 2xs. Once in October and once in November. Besides a small wait, getting through security was a breeze. I felt that it was WAY too easy. All they asked was for you to have your bags open and then they "peeked" in. So save your $5 and buy yourself "a" coke and a smile!:)

1971-2001:
22 visits all but 2xs on property!!!
Contemporary
Polynesian
Port Orleans - French Quarter
Port Orleans - Riverside
Coronado Springs
Caribbean Beach

Next stop....Beach Club

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter