Security Lines in the Parks

Social media, lol. Anyone thinking complaints on social media are indicative of reality still has no idea how social media works.

It is rare. We've been through these checks dozens upon dozens of times. Never a rude CM. Sure, different people have different demeanors, but rude? Nope. Anything over 5 minutes is rare, and over 10 minutes is extremely rare.

That's not to say Disney always staffs things at what most guests would consider appropriate levels, but the complaints are highly exaggerated. Most people are not good at judging elapsed time. Of course they will claim they checked their phone for the time so they are sure, but I have even seen this turn out to be a flat out lie.
You could have just said I was lying about my experiences (including the Epcot CM I mentioned, that two other local AP friends have also experienced first hand, but clearly they are liars too) and moved on :confused3

I am sure glad you came in as the end-all-be-all expert on every single security encounter and experience for every single Disney visitor at WDW and set the record straight (on a social media platform, of all things...) We now know to not bother with sharing our own experiences and encounters because we are all lying and only you know the truth. What a blessing it is that we have your wealth of knowledge and insight - hope Disney is paying you for your consulting work, as your talent shouldn't be wasted on us lowly park visitors that just want to share our love for Disney.

For future reference, I have found the following items may trigger. I do not bring these anymore.

- umbrellas (widely known)
- metal glass cases (widely known)
- DHS droids
- cameras, particularly with detached lenses, tripods
- airpods with the charging case (supposedly the magnet inside)
- pins for trading, particularly in a bag
- coins for penny presses (not needed as much anymore)
- small metal jars with ointment inside

My glasses case set it off twice before they told me that was the culprit. For our pins, umbrellas and pressed pennies we just held them out in front of us as we walked through the scanner.

Wish I knew about the glasses case beforehand. Didn’t read this thread before our trip.

My glasses case set it off twice before they told me that was the culprit. For our pins, umbrellas and pressed pennies we just held them out in front of us as we walked through the scanner.

Wish I knew about the glasses case beforehand. Didn’t read this thread before our trip.
I got burned by that at least a couple of times. I have held some of that stuff out in front of me without problems, mostly the pins for trading. The airpod one took forever. I would ask what set it off, and they either didn't know or would tell me that they can't say :confused3 I'm just trying to make everyone's life easier; I'm not trying to find out trade secrets.

it felt like it was a game to them
I agree. The second time I was pulled over, I had exactly 3 things in my fanny pack. I took all three out and laid them on the counter next to my fanny pack. He still proceeded to swipe through every pocket. Turn it upside down and shake it and make weird comments prolonging the wait. It was very strange. This was at MK.

The gal at Epcot didn’t act this way. She did a quick peek and let me through.

I got burned by that at least a couple of times. I have held some of that stuff out in front of me without problems, mostly the pins for trading. The airpod one took forever. I would ask what set it off, and they either didn't know or would tell me that they can't say :confused3 I'm just trying to make everyone's life easier; I'm not trying to find out trade secrets.
DH got pulled over for pins on one of our days even though he had them in his bag every other day. It’s so random. Toward the end we just held everything out in front of us.

You could have just said I was lying about my experiences (including the Epcot CM I mentioned, that two other local AP friends have also experienced first hand, but clearly they are liars too) and moved on :confused3

I am sure glad you came in as the end-all-be-all expert on every single security encounter and experience for every single Disney visitor at WDW and set the record straight (on a social media platform, of all things...) We now know to not bother with sharing our own experiences and encounters because we are all lying and only you know the truth. What a blessing it is that we have your wealth of knowledge and insight - hope Disney is paying you for your consulting work, as your talent shouldn't be wasted on us lowly park visitors that just want to share our love for Disney.
So well said!!..

I agree. The second time I was pulled over, I had exactly 3 things in my fanny pack. I took all three out and laid them on the counter next to my fanny pack. He still proceeded to swipe through every pocket. Turn it upside down and shake it and make weird comments prolonging the wait. It was very strange. This was at MK.

Most of the security people are fine but I've definitely had some "Barney Fife" types who were enjoying exercising their little bit of power as they pawed through every nook and cranny of my bag. Meanwhile the strollers and wheelchairs are going through with nobody checking underneath them.

DH tends to bring nothing but himself and a phone, however me (resident pack mule) always has a loungefly-esque backpack with a clear ziplock bag containing sunscreen, water and snacks and sometimes a charger, and then a see through or clear container with pins.

We no longer wear pins around our necks and when checked I pull out the clear ziplock bag and open all the zippers of my backpack and put both on the table with my phone before I pass through.

Putting everything in a ziplock bag so they can lift it up and eyeball it and see that the backpack is otherwise empty saves everyone time.

DH tends to bring nothing but himself and a phone, however me (resident pack mule) always has a loungefly-esque backpack with a clear ziplock bag containing sunscreen, water and snacks and sometimes a charger, and then a see through or clear container with pins.

We no longer wear pins around our necks and when checked I pull out the clear ziplock bag and open all the zippers of my backpack and put both on the table with my phone before I pass through.

Putting everything in a ziplock bag so they can lift it up and eyeball it and see that the backpack is otherwise empty saves everyone time.
With the current system, you should be able to carry the bag of pins and maybe the charger in front of you and walk straight through the scanner. No need to have your pack checked unless they wave you over - as some posters above have had to endure.

Most of the security people are fine but I've definitely had some "Barney Fife" types who were enjoying exercising their little bit of power as they pawed through every nook and cranny of my bag. Meanwhile the strollers and wheelchairs are going through with nobody checking underneath them.
I laughed out loud at Barney Fife! He definitely was.

And so true about the strollers and scooters. I literally was carrying three things!!

Last edited:
For future reference, I have found the following items may trigger. I do not bring these anymore.

- DHS droids
If you hold your umbrella in your hand with your arms outstretched as you walk through they let you pass. This advice was given to me by one of the security cast members.
Some days in August you really need to umbrella.

If you hold your umbrella in your hand with your arms outstretched as you walk through they let you pass. This advice was given to me by one of the security cast members.
I have done that with my glasses case, but it still triggered. I think it has difficulty sometimes. Same thing for my water bottle. Still had to do secondary screening with nothing found. I think it mostly works though.

I haven't seen anyone accuse anyone of lying about their specific experience. I think the responses have come that stating it is rampant, that everyone says so, that it's fact that security is rude and more ... is not true. If one person is feeling this way about many of the security than it is likely more an expectation the guest that has is not been realized. That doesn't make it a rampant downward spiral of the whole security system. As an AP that spends 4-6 weeks at WDW, there is the random curmudgeon but the majority of the security folks are doing their job professionally and if they raise their voice it's because guests are not following directions.

- DHS droids
I have found a few battery bricks have triggered as well, likely depends on the shape of them, so I hold those out.

I have done that with my glasses case, but it still triggered. I think it has difficulty sometimes. Same thing for my water bottle. Still had to do secondary screening with nothing found. I think it mostly works though.
Yeah I've triggered at one park and not the other - same day, same stuff. TECHNOLOGY is a wonderful thing but it does get wonky, one park alerted, one didn't. At the end of the day I feel safer at Disney and I'll take all the security they want to toss at me. ::yes::

Yes, if you hold any of those things out in front of you, you should go right through. I think PP was stating that is a list of some items if you leave in your bag you will trigger the search. And that THEY have opted to not bring, not that no one shouldn’t bring.

In any business there will always be those quirky folks who take their job very serious (although in this case you want them thorough) and seem on a power trip. We don't know that some of those hadn't been reprimanded for not being thorough or perhaps they missed something. We don't know that they aren't being observed, and I will bet there are often decoys sent through to test them. And some people simply are not people-people. They are there to do their job, no more. Let them.

I always think about DD working in Epcot, dealt with a guest situation and then was promptly pulled to the side by a manager and got "a talking to" about how she handled it wrong. I assure you the next guest who did the same thing, even if innocent, probably had harsh words about DD and how she handled it.

I have seen the opposite with strollers and wheelchairs and those guests get mad they have to empty the baskets and their large number of bags with no help because only one person goes through. More you bring, greater the odds of search. AND these folks cause the whole line to back up.

The person searching your bag is not the one who saw the trigger on the screen. Unless it is an obvious - they have a gun notification ❌ the searcher is just trying to find anything that might have triggered because they don't know. He might have made weird comments because he couldn't believe they flagged you so perhaps he needs to look deeper?

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone accuse anyone of lying about their specific experience. I think the responses have come that stating it is rampant, that everyone says so, that it's fact that security is rude and more ... is not true. If one person is feeling this way about many of the security than it is likely more an expectation the guest that has is not been realized. That doesn't make it a rampant downward spiral of the whole security system. As an AP that spends 4-6 weeks at WDW, there is the random curmudgeon but the majority of the security folks are doing their job professionally and if they raise their voice it's because guests are not following directions.

I have found a few battery bricks have triggered as well, likely depends on the shape of them, so I hold those out.

Yeah I've triggered at one park and not the other - same day, same stuff. TECHNOLOGY is a wonderful thing but it does get wonky, one park alerted, one didn't. At the end of the day I feel safer at Disney and I'll take all the security they want to toss at me. ::yes::

Yes, if you hold any of those things out in front of you, you should go right through. I think PP was stating that is a list of some items if you leave in your bag you will trigger the search. And that THEY have opted to not bring, not that no one should bring.

In any business there will always be those quirky folks who take their job very serious (although in this case you want them thorough) and seem on a power trip. We don't know that some of those hadn't been reprimanded for not being thorough or perhaps they missed something. We don't know that they aren't being observed, and I will bet there are often decoys sent through to test them. And some people simply are not people-people. They are there to do their job, no more. Let them.

I always think about DD working in Epcot, dealt with a guest situation and then was promptly pulled to the side by a manager and got "a talking to" about how she handled it wrong. I assure you the next guest who did the same thing, even if innocent, probably had harsh words about DD and how she handled it.

I have seen the opposite with strollers and wheelchairs and those guests get mad they have to empty the baskets and their large number of bags with no help because only one person goes through. More you bring, greater the odds of search. AND these folks cause the whole line to back up.

The person searching your bad is not the one who saw the trigger on the screen. Unless it is an obvious - they have a gun notification ❌ the searcher is just trying to find anything that might have triggered because they don't know. He might have made weird comments because he couldn't believe they flagged you so perhaps he needs to look deeper?
Forgot about battery bricks. That’s a hit fir me sometimes.

The person searching your bad is not the one who saw the trigger on the screen. Unless it is an obvious - they have a gun notification ❌ the searcher is just trying to find anything that might have triggered because they don't know. He might have made weird comments because he couldn't believe they flagged you so perhaps he needs to look deeper?
The weird comments were not about security. They were flirtatious and made me very uncomfortable. Thankfully my husband was out of earshot.

Yeah, that's how it should work. I had an umbrella every day in August/Sept. Held it way out in front of me with my cell phone in the other hand. Still got pulled out for no reason. The bag checker admitted as much. I agree Universal does this better.

I might be off-base, or repeating something already said, but they do seem to pull folks out on a random basis for a closer look at times - just like TSA will do at the airports. It's probably not anything personal, unless you've said or done something that raises a flag. It's just a randomized approach had you pulled this time. Then again, last year, my spouse got pulled 'randomly' 3 straight mornings. That seemed more than random....

I had 2 celebration buttons on my bag strap this week. Apparently when they are close.together it sets off the sensor. I would pin one to my shirt hem and leave the other on the cross body strap...no problem...then move it back after security. If they were both in the strap I got pulled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter