• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Security changes

Chicken12

Earning My Ears
We have been at the parks since Sunday and security has really been beefed up it looks like the last few days. They are checking the bags fully now instead of the glances they were doing before and there seems to be a lot more Anaheim PD and CM security in the plaza area. Glad Disney is trying to keep everyone safe in these crazy times.

We were in DLR this morning and tried using the restrooms between plaza inn and star tours and as we walked up cast members were closing off both the men's and women's restroom. As we were leaving to go to the restroom near space mountain security with a dog came in to check out both of them. As we got to space mountain the CM started closing both of the restrooms also and said security was coming to check them out. A little unnerving but glad they are staying vigilant.

That's great that they're beefing up security. We have a trip planned next week, and while I'm not really worried, it's nice to know that they're taking extra precautions and staying vigilant.

I just hope that it's not just a short term thing. I mean it's great that they're taking such measures to keep everyone safe, but after how long are security measures going to go lax again.

With San Bernadino and events in Paris, it's natural for Disney to step up efforts.
As long as everyone can continue to enjoy the parks I have no problem

I just hope that it's not just a short term thing. I mean it's great that they're taking such measures to keep everyone safe, but after how long are security measures going to go lax again.

Believe me, Disney security is not lax. Not in the least bit.

Agreed it is not lax. They just do a good job at concealing it. You have to really look for cameras and other means of security. I pointed out a bunch of things security wise at DLR and DCA to my wife this week after San Bernardino and she was shocked that they were hidden in plain sight.

Believe me, Disney security is not lax. Not in the least bit.

I didn't mean that they were incompetent with their security measures. But as the ppl said they have upped bag searches to be more thorough. I just meant how long that will last before they go back to bag searches like before and back to when security was not noticeable.

I was just there and yes they thoroughly searched bags. Thankfully they were still very quick, so the line did not seem to take extra time.

We were there tonight, and our bags were casually searched. But there was noticeable security (CMs and Anaheim PD) right next to bag check and throughout the esplanade. One security CM had his eyes on everyone who came through bag check.

I'm happy to hear they have beefed up security. I expected it given their history of excellent security but it's nice to have it confirmed. We will be there for just a day next weekend and I think it will be a comfort to see them practicing vigilance.

I was definitely glad to see security beefed up at DLR. Nothing is completely safe, but it's nice to know they are on the alert. We were at the Viva Navidad show on Sunday, and a lady got mad because they made her put away her selfie stick. I thought they would take it, and return it to her at the entrance later. They just told her to put it away. There are signs clearly posted at the park entrances that say selfie sticks are banned.

I think the bag check and how well it's checked depends on the CM. We were there for 4 days in September and only about half the time my bags were thoroughly checked and the other half, they just scanned real quick. One morning I saw a CM ask a lady to take everything out of her stroller to be searched (which was a lot of stuff) and another time a CM barely looked at the stroller.

I carry a crossbody and most of the time I could just unzip it and they would look in, other times they would make me take it off and put it on the table.

Very random!

We were there for 12-2 thru 12-5 and noticed security enhanced from previous trips.
I figured it was due to the CP on Sat and Sun.

Then we heard about the San Bernadino incident and understood why. Little too close to home.

Geemo

Agreed it is not lax. They just do a good job at concealing it. You have to really look for cameras and other means of security. I pointed out a bunch of things security wise at DLR and DCA to my wife this week after San Bernardino and she was shocked that they were hidden in plain sight.

If they were hidden, then how could they possibly be in plain sight? Lol

Yes, there was a lot of extra security over the weekend. Also, a LOT of security around the Candlelight set up. They brought a dog sniffing along the line up of people for the shows, and they had the dogs going thru the stage area and around planters. We were seated when one of the dogs came by and they headed up to the risers for the choir. My son commented "That dog sits down, I'm out of here!"

I have been going to the parks weekly since July. They haven't beefed up security. More likely, guests are just paying better attention to the security and police presence. There are always Anaheim PD milling about DtD and the Esplanade. Police dogs are there daily, and have been for years. Plain clothed cops and security are EVERYWHERE (look for the ear piece). I have not noticed a change in the bag checks. Every group of tables has both regular CMs and at least one cop or Security CM standing by. Been like that for a LONG time.

If there is an increase, it's due to the increase in holiday crowds. Disney has been on their game since 9/11,and probably well before that.

We are at the parks every 2-4 weeks for the last several years. There has definitely been an increase in security. The weekend of the France bombings, there was a major change. Then we were back this weekend, and there was a large increase in both the esplanade and on Main St. In the Esplanade, each bag check tent had a dedicated Anaheim PD officer, which has NOT been the norm in the past. I know this because when my son travels with us we usually have to wait at bag check for an Anaheim PD officer to come to see him. I joked with one officer it would be easier in the future. Yes, the dogs are there often, we enjoy watching them, but they were much more visible this past weekend. I was seeing 3-4 dogs at any one time. I have been there every Christmas season for 2-3 weeks at a time. This is more than we have seen in the past.

Yes, we know about the "foxes", and that isn't really what we are talking about. Bag check this weekend was more thorough than in past, which to be honest I feel is only a show. We all know you forget something in your bag, it is easy to get around. There were more PD officers there overall. I don't know if it was simply for Candlelight, or if it will remain. Will look when we are back next week.

I was there today. Saw one Anaheim cop in DtD and one security guard. They were both standing near the entrance of the GC hotel. Didn't see any others. Bag check was same old same old. Saw like one cop and a couple security. One security CM was also at the DCA entrance at the GCH. Saw a K-9 trailer parked in the drop off zone at DtD. Honestly, no crazy amounts of security today. Last Sunday there were probably twice as many visible cops. It's based on crowd levels. Today was slow.

We just left after being at Disney for 4 days. We noticed that there were many more security people around plus Anaheim PD. We saw the dogs too. When we went through security, they were more thorough. The cms even asked me to unzip the pockets in my purse. One time, the cms even had flashlights as they looked in bags. One thing I am curious about - I heard and saw a helicopter circling most of the day. We were wondering if it had anything to do with security.

We just left after being at Disney for 4 days. We noticed that there were many more security people around plus Anaheim PD. We saw the dogs too. When we went through security, they were more thorough. The cms even asked me to unzip the pockets in my purse. One time, the cms even had flashlights as they looked in bags. One thing I am curious about - I heard and saw a helicopter circling most of the day. We were wondering if it had anything to do with security.

We were there in September, and there was a police helicopter that would circle around every so often. I'm don't know that it's a helicopter for Disneyland or a police helicopter that monitors the interstate. I'm guessing it's more for the interstate than Disneyland.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter