Secrets to the perfect pie for Thanksgiving? Favorites?

Aren’t we lucky to live in place with so many varieties to choose? 😎
OT but I saw an interesting documentary about apple varieties. All the varieties today come from the original wild apples in Asia and people have experimented over time to get different flavors and textures. We actually have fewer varieties today than 100 years ago as preferences have influenced commercial growers.

OT but I saw an interesting documentary about apple varieties. All the varieties today come from the original wild apples in Asia and people have experimented over time to get different flavors and textures. We actually have fewer varieties today than 100 years ago as preferences have influenced commercial growers.
In fact, sadly true of most fruit and vegetable varieties. We are fortunate that charitable entities and scientific groups collect heritage seeds and promote their usage among local farmers. And just a heads up - the grading of produce is only based on appearance and does not reflect their taste 😔.

While I normally don't bake from scratch pie crust... My granny could make them amazing... they were melt in your mouth, soo soo good! she always said... "Do not over work the dough" It will make it tough... She made what I call a butter dough, light and flaky, just a touch sweet and buttery...

I have worked on trying to duplicate it...and while I have come close, nothing will ever be as good as hers.
Since you've an interest in butter crusts take a look at the pate brisee recipes and techniques of Dorie Greenspan, Rose Levy Berenbaum (sp?) and David Leibovitz. All work hard to ensure the making is passed on to future generations. I’m forgetting someone…Boston…Asian descent, woman - sheesh 🙄 it’ll come to me in time.

** Joanne Chang** that’s her name!

Last edited:

I make two pumpkin pies with store bought pie crusts. I used make homemade crusts, but not anymore. I also make brownies for the grands. DIL makes a sweet potato pie. DH may ask for a pecan pie, but I will go to a great place here, Delicious Orchards.

I am the pie lady in my family. I think the most important element of a great pie is the crust! I have the perfect recipe for pie crust that never fails. It is very simple. Flour, salt, original Crisco shortening, cold water, egg, and vinegar. Perfect, flaky crust every time. This last 4th of July, I made a strawberry pie and upped the game on the crust. I got a pkg of Gharadelli semi sweet chocolate and brushed it on the cooled pie crust and let it chill until it hardened. Then I added my strawberries in homemade glaze, and topped with homemade whipped cream. The hardened chocolate kept the crust from getting soggy. For Thanksgiving, I will be making 2 pumpkin, 2 apple, 2 chocolate, 1 pecan, and a raspberry. TC :cool1: IMG_1592.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpeg
    IMG_1593.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 6
I make two pumpkin pies with store bought pie crusts. I used make homemade crusts, but not anymore. I also make brownies for the grands. DIL makes a sweet potato pie. DH may ask for a pecan pie, but I will go to a great place here, Delicious Orchards.
Oh my Gawd! I used to be taken there when I was a kid and was mesmerized watching the machine drop apple cider cinnamon donut dough into the hot oil where they would travel along, flip over and then be removed and tossed into sugary the cinnamon surgary goodness.

Pretty sure I developed my lifelong adoration of all things cinnamon here:love:lucky you!

original Crisco shortening,

Over the years the formula for Crisco has changed. It no longer contains trans fats due to health concerns. If you use old time recipes from you mom or grandmother and are getting different results, that could help explain the difference. The product currently sold as Crisco is not the same product it was 30-40 yrs ago. Many older crust recipes often use lard which isn't really considered good for you either.

Over the years the formula for Crisco has changed. It no longer contains trans fats due to health concerns. If you use old time recipes from you mom or grandmother and are getting different results, that could help explain the difference. The product currently sold as Crisco is not the same product it was 30-40 yrs ago. Many older crust recipes often use lard which isn't really considered good for you either.
I’m sure it has changed but I’m telling you I get excellent pie crusts from it, even today!

The Food Wishes pumpkin pie recipe always goes over well. The key, as with apple pie, is Chinese 5 spice.

I'm the "pie lady" for my family, too. I typically make 4 or 5 pies for Thanksgiving - there are about 18 of us if you count the little ones. I always do 2 pumpkin pies and use my grandma's recipe from the 1930s. It's different from most pumpkin pie recipes in that it does not call for nutmeg - just cinnamon and a little ginger and vanilla. She taught me to use half-and-half in the recipe, so that's what I do. I also make chocolate pie (again, using some half-and-half instead of all milk for a great texture and richness) and either lemon, coconut, or key lime. Other times of the year, I make peanut butter pie and strawberry pie, both with store-bought graham cracker crusts. I make my own regular pie crust from scratch: butter, Crisco, flour, salt, and ice water.

The discussion on Key Lime Pie was absolutely right -- just 3 ingredients: key lime juice, egg yolks and sweetened condensed milk. I live in Northwest Florida and my friend has a key lime tree and shares the bounty with me. When she gives me a bunch, I juice them and freeze the juice in ice-cube trays so that I always have it available. I freeze the zest, too. I make key lime cookies for Christmas.

This thread got me to make a butternut squash pie today (dairy free) - while it took an extra 30 minutes to bake (b/c I wasn't measuring all that closely), dang, it is SO good. It's exactly what I wanted for dessert.

Of course, I still have extra roasted squash now in my fridge...maybe a 2nd pie tomorrow...

My wife makes great pies. The secret ingredient, butter. Lots of butter.
If I walked in with a store bought pie, I'd be walking out with a store bought pie and divorce papers.
My wife makes pumpkin and dutch apple for holiday dinners.
I think butter is the key ingredient in almost everything.😂

We make a carmel apple pie and a key lime. The apple pie; make a crumble with sugar, flour, butter and crushed up Heath bars. Sprinkle that over the apples just before you put the top crust on. cut slits in the top crust, glaze with egg white, then chill in the fridge overnight before baking.

Key Lime - we've made it with a gluten free crust I make with crushed cheerios and also with a grahm cracker crust. The grahm cracker crust is better but if you have someone who is allergic to gluten the cheerio crust is a good substitute. Do not overbake or it will taste more like cheesecake. We frost the pie with a sour cream & powdered sugar topping.

I like basically all kinds of pie. The possible exceptions might be some cream pies banana, coconut and lemon come to mind. Unfortunately my wife doesn’t like it at all and as they say if a cook doesn’t like the dish it won’t have the heart in it. She has learned to make a great key lime pie (my very own key lime pie). Basically as described previously with the juice condensed milk etc… Tastes pretty authentic to me. My wife’s issue is that she hates the crust. Can’t have pie without it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter