Secrets, Tips and Tricks for Alaska Cruises

Looking to do an alaska cruise in 2016 and here are a few questions:

1. Can you walk directly to the cruise port? Which hotels are closest?
2. Easy way to get to those hotels...car rental/taxi/metro?
3. Can you see well with an ocean view room? Sometimes in the past there has been a glare and making it almost useless.
4. Excursions for younger kids...like 3?
5. Blankets...is there a pile outside somewhere?...like they have towel bins near the pools?
6. Food is generally what we've had on the wonder from florida? do they change the fast food options/pizza/menu items up?
7. Because of the little ones, whats a good spot for Tracy Arm that won't freeze the kids and will give them the opportunity to move around a little bit...i can't see my little one sitting by the edge for an hour or so.
8. Cove cafe...its nice and enclosed, but adults only. Is there a good alternate that is kid friendly?
9. Do you have to go through 2 security checks before checking in?
10. Is it quick to get off the ship?
11. Is there a character breakfast?
12. BBQ and Soup...see a lot of talk of it, nothing in the navigator. Do the waiters know about it? As in can i ask a waiter the night before or morning of for more detail...vegetarian, so don't want to waste time in a line if it doesn't have what i can eat.

Many thanks.

Talk me through port arrival at Canada Place... Do you check bags in, and then only take carry-ons through checkpoints?

Tup1830 - I was JUST about to search "Alaskan cruises with a small child" because I'm looking into booking an Alaskan cruise in 2016, so I'm wondering what i can do with DS, who will be two. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for all your help. We loved the DVC Member Cruise to Alaska! Vancouver was beautiful, and the Fairmont Pacific Rim was top notch!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 22
Talk me through port arrival at Canada Place... Do you check bags in, and then only take carry-ons through checkpoints?
Typically...
  • I like to arrive via cab... sometimes it's a long queue. Some will unload in front of the Pan Pacific and then walk their luggage into the terminal
  • checked luggage is taken out of cab by port staff. Make sure you have your tags on.
  • you walk to join another queue with your carry-on for security searches (luggage, weapons, hand, body, cavity)
  • then you meet the US security guards... you are going to Alaska... a US port
  • then you meet the Disney Wonder staff who register you for the boat. You get your picture taken.
  • then you wait in the lobby for your PAT time.
  • While in the lobby, you get first chance for character photos in the cruise terminal
  • Your PAT time is announced and you join a line to board the ship. I think there's more photo's before you board the ship.
  • entering the Wonder atrium, you party is announced
  • then I head to the buffets before they close at 2pm.... I paid for it.
One change I'm hearing... Vancouver has more ships in port on the same day... people are moved into staging areas when they wait until they are ready to be processed.

I remember reading someone who arrives at 11:15am got on board at 1pm. Main congestion is security screening and the US officers.

3. Can you see well with an ocean view room? Sometimes in the past there has been a glare and making it almost useless.
5. Blankets...is there a pile outside somewhere?...like they have towel bins near the pools?
6. Food is generally what we've had on the wonder from florida? do they change the fast food options/pizza/menu items up?
7. Because of the little ones, whats a good spot for Tracy Arm that won't freeze the kids and will give them the opportunity to move around a little bit...i can't see my little one sitting by the edge for an hour or so.
8. Cove cafe...its nice and enclosed, but adults only. Is there a good alternate that is kid friendly?
12. BBQ and Soup...see a lot of talk of it, nothing in the navigator. Do the waiters know about it? As in can i ask a waiter the night before or morning of for more detail...vegetarian, so don't want to waste time in a line if it doesn't have what i can eat.

Many thanks.
1. Pan Pacific hotel has you living on top of the cruise terminal. Fairmont Waterfront is across the street, and Fairmont Pacific Rim is 3 blocks to the West. These hotels command a premium price for location and service.
2. As a cruiser... do you travel heavy with luggage? if so, I think taxi's are the best choice.
3. Love my oceanview room. Did not notice glare. Skip the twins and look for Deck 2.
7. Check out Deck 4... it may be more sheltered than upper decks.
9. There is one luggage/body check. Then there is a US border interview. Does that count as two checks?
10. I find it quick. Just need to put colored tape on my black samsonite that looks like so many others. Wasted 20 minutes looking for it, when it was one pile over.
11. Yes there is a character breakfast. It depends on which dining rotation you are on.
12. BBQ is aft. Soup is bow. Yes, they are hard to find.

Does anyone know if you need to have a reservation to park at Canada place? I have gone online and I know you can make a reservation but I didn't know if it is a necessity.
Yes, they still have that service. Some friends of ours used it on June 8. I believe the price was $8 for large bags and $7 for the carry-on style rollerbags. They also have a service to take your bags to the airport for you, but you should call them about that. It's $40 for up to 4 bags.

We are going to Alaska in August and are trying to decide between two excursions in Ketchikan...Alaskan Rainforest Sanctuary & crab feast or Wilderness exploration and crab feast. Has anyone done these? Do they go to the same place just by different means (bus vs boat)

Many thanks.
Just got back on the 29th from Alaska and I will honestly say that it was the best vacation ever!!!!! Ok on to your questions.

There are hotels right across the street from the port. They were a little too pricey for us and we wanted to stay in the north to go to the Capilano suspension bridge park so we took a taxi. Very easy. Some hotels offer a shuttle.

We had a verandah and I highly recommend that. It is worth the extra money to have your own space for views. We spent most of our time on ours. It was amazing.

We did the Klondike Family Challenge in Skagway and The Lumberjack show in Ketchikan. Both are great for young kids.

Blankets everywhere. Although it was in the 70s the whole time we were there. Awesome weather.

Not sure about the food. This was our first cruise.

Once again the verandah is a great option with little ones. Other than that you are pretty much out in the elements.

Not sure what a good option is with the kids for indoor viewing. I am sure there are some but we didn't go there.

Your server will tell you about the BBQ on Tracy Arm day. We had room service in our room that day so we did not partake. The servers walk around with the soup bowls so we did get that.

Hope that helps. All in all no matter what, you will have an amazing time.

Subbed for 5 night Alaska cruise in August :)

Has anyone had any experience doing 2 excursions at Ketchikan? It says we're ashore at 9AM and back on board at 7:45PM. I can't decide between snorkeling (3.5 hours) and the Wilderness Exploration and crab feast (4.5 hours) and figured I'd see if I could do both. The 2 excursions are about 8 hours and we're ashore for just over 10.5 hours. Cutting it too close?

Last edited:

Has anyone had any experience doing 2 excursions at Ketchikan? It says we're ashore at 9AM and back on board at 7:45PM. I can't decide between snorkeling (3.5 hours) and the Wilderness Exploration and crap feast (4.5 hours) and figured I'd see if I could do both. The 2 excursions are about 8 hours and we're ashore for just over 10.5 hours. Cutting it too close?

that doesn't sound very appetizing.

are both excursions offered through DCL? If they're too close together, DCL won't allow you to sign up for both.

that doesn't sound very appetizing.

are both excursions offered through DCL? If they're too close together, DCL won't allow you to sign up for both.

:crazy2: auto-correct:guilty:

Yes both are offered through DCL...guess I'll have to see what times are available when they open up those bookings

:crazy2: auto-correct:guilty:

Yes both are offered through DCL...guess I'll have to see what times are available when they open up those bookings
I'm fairly certain the minimum amount of time that DCL requires between excursions is 2 hours. So, you'd be cutting it pretty close, if you were able to book both excursions.

I'd just choose one or the other. And plan on doing the missing excursion on the next cruise. I don't like to spend too much of my vacation time rushing around, worrying about where I have to be next.

Has anyone had any experience doing 2 excursions at Ketchikan? It says we're ashore at 9AM and back on board at 7:45PM. I can't decide between snorkeling (3.5 hours) and the Wilderness Exploration and crab feast (4.5 hours) and figured I'd see if I could do both. The 2 excursions are about 8 hours and we're ashore for just over 10.5 hours. Cutting it too close?

I did two excursions in Ketchikan, Juneau and in Skagway and felt fine about it. If they are both things you want to do and you have time to get back to the ship - that is the most important part, then I say go for it. You may not ever be back there . Do what you like while you are there . . . . I almost never book through Disney for excursions and have found the same companies they use will book you. The excursion places are used to the cruise line times - just make sure you tell them your schedules and ask them if you will have time to get back on the ship and/or to the other thing you are doing. Both of those sound really cool! Good luck

Thanks everyone. Guess I'll wait to see what times DCL is offering for those excursions. I see the snorkeling one can be booked through the company's own site as well. If DCL doesn't have the time I want I guess I'll see if I can book one directly with the company. Hoping to do that right off the boat to give me some breathing room to book the second one in the afternoon.

It's the only port day on the 5 night cruise so figured I'd take advantage of my time off the ship.

So help out an Alaska novice. Going in late August. This is my 12'th Disney cruise including one in the Mediteranian, but other than that that I don't usually book excursions. In Europe these were all day affairs that you left the ship by 7:15 and were gone all day.

Can anyone tell me what time these leave? Do you have time choices when you book them?

Thanks in advance for any help

So help out an Alaska novice. Going in late August. This is my 12'th Disney cruise including one in the Mediteranian, but other than that that I don't usually book excursions. In Europe these were all day affairs that you left the ship by 7:15 and were gone all day.

Can anyone tell me what time these leave? Do you have time choices when you book them?

Thanks in advance for any help
When your excursion booking window opens, you will be able to select a departure time for your excursions. If it's a 1/2 day excursion there may be both morning and afternoon times. Or only in the morning, or afternoon.

You can see what sorts of excursions are typically offered on your cruise here:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/overview/

It will tell you how long the excursion is and the costs, as well as the age requirements (if any). But actual start times are not available until your window is open to book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter