• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Secrets, Tips and Tricks for Alaska Cruises

Did you book the Mushers camp through DCL or on your own? We are trying to decide on that or the White Pass. Our child is crazy about Huskys & wolves so we are torn. Any advice either way would be great!! We know that we will not be doing one of the helicopter dog sled things. Way too much money!!

We were on the August 4th sailing and did the musher's camp in Skagway. We booked it through Disney. We loved it. My kids had so much fun, it was the highlight of the trip for them. They liked it better than whale watching!

Some tips that I have are:

On deck 9 on Tracy Arm day, starboard side, I think, a small souvenir stand opens up with Alaskan merchandise. It had 4 Tervis tumblers, Alaskan themed, that we never saw in the gift shops. The CM told us they were not available in the gift shops because there were only a small amount of them left, so Disney was saving them for Tracy Arm day. I can't remember what time it opened, but it was right by where we were sitting so I got one and so did my mom. Only 4 were available and they went fast.

If you stay on deck 9 for Tracy Arm, find a spot near the stairs to deck 10. We stayed on 9 most of the time, but ran up to 10 for pictures. Deck 10 aft and mid-ship were not crowded at all.

Another tip would apply to any Disney cruise, not just Alaska. My DH is 6'5" and played defensive tackle in college, so our stateroom shower was pretty impossible for him. He was way too tall and broad shouldered to fit comfortably. So, he took his showers in the changing room at the spa. They were still a little too short for him, but much roomier.

Skip the sail away party. It was really crowded, so we found a nice, quiet spot on deck 4 where we could easily see the views on Vancouver as we sailed away.

If you can, get up early on the Skagway day and have breakfast outside. I was up early (not by choice!), but my DH and kids were not, so I went to the buffet and ate breakfast outside. It was so beautiful, there were mountains all around and float planes were coming and going. That was my favorite morning.

I agree with what a PP said about not spending your trip behind the camera. I missed some good views of whales and a brown bear because I was trying too hard to get a picture.

Lastly, if possible, get a private boat for whale watching. We did through Harv and Marv and I have no regrets. We saw other boats with people crowded around the railings trying to get photos, but we didn't have to worry about that. It was easier for my dad, who has Parkinson's, because he could still see whales sitting down without anyone in his way.

Maybe a secret but concierge guests can be invited to view Tracy Arm from the officers viewing deck which is forward on deck 7 for some stunning photos, if your offered it take it up, we had a private character meet and hot drinks and food served, and views without anyone else blocking it a real fantastic and un advertised perk for concierge guests.

See my photo thread below to see the photos we were able to take.

Just came across this thread and now I'm getting super excited for my August 2015 Alaskan cruise! Thanks, guys!!

Congratulations on your Alaskan Cruise!! Alaska is beautiful, raw, and amazing!
My best advice is to bring layers to wear. Light clothes with heavier clothes on top. Warm hats, gloves, and waterproof are always a plus. Remember, Alaska is a rain-forest, so there is a fairly good chance it will rain. I had a down-filled vest on under my light jacket on the day in Tracy Arm, and found I was very cozy. However, we are Canadian and used to cold, so you may want to bundle if you're used to warmer climates!!
As for Tracy Arm day, I was in no great hurry to get anywhere, and I was rewarded. I got some great pictures of the glacier, ice-flows, seals, and waterfalls, I just waited until the crowds thinned. We went for lunch later, and didn't wait for anything. We sat outside, but found a table right away and had fresh salmon right off the grill. In fact, for most of the cruise we were never in a great hurry. We waited for the lines to settle, and never had to wait for a long time.
Our daughter was in the pool every day. It was crowded with kids, but never so much that she missed out, or felt she had to leave. There were small lines for the Mickey Slide, but the lifeguards kept them moving rather quickly.

Enjoy your cruise!!! Make sure you stop in at the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau, take pictures of a piece of history!!!:thumbsup2

We've been on 2 Alaskan cruises. They've both been great.

The 1st time we flew to Vancouver the morning od the cruise. I guess we got up something like 3am for our flight. Because of that I was an early early bird and had lots of early morning top deck time to myself. Thank goodness for long days. It took a few days for the time zones to click in.

For our next cruise, we stayed at the downtown Days Inn a couple of days before the cruise. The hotel isn't the ritz but it's only a few blocks from the train stop and an easy walk downhill to the cruise line.

Tracy Arm day. We camped out on Deck 4 and top deck. On the top deck it was so warm and sunny we didn't need jackets. There's no worry about not seeing the glacier. The ship turns around so everyone can see it.

Enjoy your cruise. Relax.

Brenda
from MB

To add to those who have said not to spend the cruise behind your camera, I'd say that this is especially true of Tracy Arm day. Sure you can get up on deck early and stake out a spot and spend the entire day there, either for the view or the photo ops, but is this really how you want to spend your cruise? I'd say to just accept up front that you won't be able to see/photograph everything and relax a little. There is still plenty that you will see. Be flexible and you can see the views from more vantage points.

Recommended excursion in Ketchikan is snorkeling. Absolutely one of the most memorable things I've done in my life. Snorkel Alaska has a website with more information but also check out the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Private tours in all ports we did two in each port and saved $$$$ booked our own times, and in most it was exclusive to us.

I've been trying to get a reservation for the Pan Pacific for our cruise July 27, 2015 but the website has been saying nothing was available. We decided to take our chances and tried Hotwire and got it for under $200 a night! Hooray! We are coming in on the 24th to enjoy Vancouver for a few days. I'm getting se excited about this trip!:cool1:

I've done the Alaska cruise twice! Would do it again. The most beautiful scenery you'll ever see. My first advice is book a verandah room. We spent most of the Tracy Arm day on our deck in comfort with blankets and hot coffee. No one blocking your view and it's much warmer than the upper deck. The other thing I've done which I recommend is booking the villa in the spa on the first day at sea while you're travelling up the inside passage! The view is spectacular! Totally spoiled and pampered sitting in the hot tub looking out on the landscape. Worth every penny!
Other tips...
Bring insulated mug for coffee/hot chocolate
Bring binoculars to see wildlife
Pack small umbrella and light rain jacket as it can be wet

Love all the posts:yay: We are booked on the members cruise in May 2015, and it will be our first Alaska cruise. I am catching up on all the amazing tips. This trip is to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary so we splurged and got a 1 bedroom on concierge.:love:
This is also our first time on the Wonder.
I really appreciate the tips on where to stay before and after the cruise, and the many that range from what to pack, what to eat, and where to see the best sites.
I am wondering if anyone has any "must do" excursions. Something they did they loved, or something they wish they did...would love to hear from you!
Anyone else going on the members cruise?:wave2:

Must dos,

It's not like any other cruise.

Something to see every minute of every hour from 6 am to 11 pm, relax enjoy, watch, always have your camera, something interesting will occur.

In the evenings do not just do dinner and show, but again watch, the land the sea the sunset.

It's the detail, nature, wonder, just watch........

Love all the posts:yay: We are booked on the members cruise in May 2015, and it will be our first Alaska cruise. I am catching up on all the amazing tips. This trip is to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary so we splurged and got a 1 bedroom on concierge.:love:
This is also our first time on the Wonder.
I really appreciate the tips on where to stay before and after the cruise, and the many that range from what to pack, what to eat, and where to see the best sites.
I am wondering if anyone has any "must do" excursions. Something they did they loved, or something they wish they did...would love to hear from you!
Anyone else going on the members cruise?:wave2:

We are going as a 40th anniversary. We got a very basic room because we were on the members cruise a year ago and were rarely in our room. There is an other thread you might join if you haven't....just search for Alaska DVC cruise. Hope to see you there, and THANK YOU to all who are offering such great tips for us first timers.

Following, we are on the July,20,2015 and right now the Pan Pacific is more than $500 per night.:confused3

For those who booked excursions outside Disney, please elaborate on the companies you booked through, locations and excursions. We're going on the May 2015 member cruise. Thanks!

Can't wait to go!

Following, we are on the July,20,2015 and right now the Pan Pacific is more than $500 per night.:confused3

I've been trying to get a reservation for the Pan Pacific for our cruise July 27, 2015 but the website has been saying nothing was available. We decided to take our chances and tried Hotwire and got it for under $200 a night! Hooray! We are coming in on the 24th to enjoy Vancouver for a few days. I'm getting se excited about this trip!:cool1:
Be sure to keep your eyes on Hotwire. That's how we got our rate this year, and, while we didn't have a harbour view, we weren't in the room much, anyway. And we would definitely do that again. (first time using Hotwire, ever! :thumbsup2)

We Loved the Sagway helicopter excursion through Disney where you go on hike on the glacier. It was amazing to see the from above and really feel that crunch beneath your feet. Who knew they were so sharp? They provided us gloves and boots--the works but falling down was a bit worrisome. It was so cool to see up close. The colors in the mulans are really the most amazing blue.

I must say on the Alasaka cruise the inside state room did have its perks when you wanted your kids to sleep even when it was still light outside! I do agree however it was crowded on the main decks when you were in Tracy Arm. We lucked out and had brunch that day in Palo and had a front row seat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter