Second guessing my ADRs

mkmomto2

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone! Like a lot of people, I made my ADRs at 180 days and have been "tweaking" them ever since. I'm not sure if it is too much, but am afraid to not have a place to get out of the heat. This trip will be for my friend and I, who are both middle aged women and I like to take a break midday, to give a little context. I have been several times, but she has not been to Disney since her kids were little, so probably 15-18 years.

We are arriving Thursday, August 16 in the evening and staying at the airport, so we will take the magical express in the morning.

Friday, August 17
11:30 am - Via Napoli
7:30 pm - La Hacienda San Angel

Saturday, August 18
11:05 am - Plaza
7:00 pm - Hollywood Brown Derby

Sunday, August 19
11:00 am - Yak n Yeti
7:00 pm - Be Our Guest

Monday, August 20
11:30 am - Coral Reef

For appetizers or dessert and drinks:
5:15 pm - Boathouse
8:00 pm - Wine Bar George
10:00 pm- Raglan Road

Tuesday, August 21st
Pool Day
6:15 pm - Hoop de Doo

Wednesday, August 22nd
3:00 pm - Jiko Wine Tasting
6:15 pm - Kona Cafe

Thursday, August 23rd
11:05 am - Liberty Tree Tavern
7:00 pm - Tiffins

Friday, August 24th
2:00 pm - Sanaa
MNSSHP

Saturday, August 25th
11:00 am - Beaches and Cream
7:30 pm - California Grill

Please let me know what you think. Is it too much? Should I get rid of anything?

Thanks!
Stacy

For me, personally, that would be a lot of food. (I'm a 59 year old woman if that makes a difference.) We do the regular DDP, with one table service and one counter service meal a day, and find that it's more than enough food.

Oh, and because you're going over the summer, I'll add my standard advice: be sure to order a case of water. You can order just water through Staples, or in addition to other snacks at garden grocer.

The primary concern i would have is that you have two reservations a day - both in different parks. Not only does that add eating time (which personally for a relaxed pace trip the amount you have is probably okay), but it adds transportation time.

If the primary goal is to get out of the sun for a bit, I would rethink it. MK: ride the train, sit at the train station or something. AK: stroll through the gift shops, or sit in a quick service at nonmeal hours. EP: Sit in the aquarium, or the play areas outside spaceship earth and mission space. HS: muppets show, or any of the other shows

If the goal is to avoid juggling quick service trays and eat meals each day, there might be faster options (and even in the summer you should be able to find a table for two).

If your friend is more active and will want to do everything in the parks, given the 15-20 year absence, it may be too much.

The primary concern i would have is that you have two reservations a day - both in different parks. Not only does that add eating time (which personally for a relaxed pace trip the amount you have is probably okay), but it adds transportation time.

If the primary goal is to get out of the sun for a bit, I would rethink it. MK: ride the train, sit at the train station or something. AK: stroll through the gift shops, or sit in a quick service at nonmeal hours. EP: Sit in the aquarium, or the play areas outside spaceship earth and mission space. HS: muppets show, or any of the other shows

I was thinking this too. Most counter service lunch options allow you a place to rest out of the sun. We never do more than 1 TS in a day (or on the occasions we do, it's a breakfast and a dinner).

Thanks for all your replies guys! I may pare it down a bit. We will be taking midday breaks back at the resort, which is how I like to tour, so hopping to different parks isn't really a big deal, but I may rethink some of the table service meals for quick service.

I too think it is too much hopping and we always take a midday break and hop. Some of your "hops" are so close together there is no real break time there with transportation time

In particular, these look too close together, time-wise. I don't know anything about the wine tasting and how long it takes, but I'd wonder if one activity at AKL within three hours of another activity at the Poly is too close -- especially if you don't have your own car.

Wednesday, August 22nd

I agree with PPs in that its a lot of ADRs. We prefer to do 1 TS per day, but when we do two, its usually breakfast (pre-park opening is best) and then dinner later on. We don't do lunch TS's often, but it can work when you're using a lunch TS meal in lieu of a break back at your resort. Otherwise, it just takes up too much time IMO.

Based on the locations, it seems like you plan to park hop in the afternoon. If that's the case, that can also be time consuming so you may want to forego the lunch ADR to save the time there as well.

I actually like a sit down lunch, I usually just get an appetizer and salad rather than a big heavy meal. Takes about the same amount of time and I enjoy it so much more than a counter service.

A few things that jump out at me:

It seems to be a lot of park hopping. To me, park hopping is tough and draining. I stopped buying Park Hopper tickets because they just aren't worth it usually. The only time I could see getting a Hopper is if you're in easy walking distance to MK or Epcot, and you're just walking over in the evening to see the fireworks.

Also, don't forget that you'll probably be trying some Disney snacks, too. You might not want a full meal after having some snacks and walking around a hot park. To me, it would be too filling to do a full meal for lunch AND dinner. So if you're doing Be Our Guest for dinner one night, maybe just swing by CHH for lunch when you're hungry to pick up a side snack of a clam chowder or swing by Casey's Corner for a hot dog.

I'm working on our plan for ADRs for our next Disney trip, and my plan kind of looks like this for our MK day:
Use snack credit for breakfast at Sleepy Hollow. Use 2 snack credits for lunch at CHH. Use two TS credits for dinner at CRT.

If your plan is to do as much as you can in Disney parks, in August (we’re going 8/6-8/10) then taking an air conditioned break at lunch time is a great idea. The heat is brutal between 11:30-3:30. We always head back to the resort pool during that time. And as far as it being too much food, really depends on what you order. Great restaurant line up, enjoy and have fun!

We have always done a table service lunch followed by table service dinner. I'm always baffled by why people say that's too much food compared to quick service when quick service food at WDW is not exactly light eating for the most part (I've never felt so gross as I did after a counter service at Cosmic Rays with a bacon burger and fries, ooogh). It is nice to have a break to relax at a TS restaurant.

For me, it looks like you are doing a lot of park hopping for food. For my wife and I, food selection is all part of the experience of going to WDW.

You are eating at The Plaza one day for lunch and then BOG a different dinner. Couldn't get them both the same day so you aren't park hopping so much? Same thing for Yak n Yeti one day for lunch and Tiffins one evening for dinner. Couldn't get them both on the same day???

Also, I am not sure you are going to be hungry so quickly on Wednesday. Jiko Wine Tasting is going to take over an hour which puts you finishing up there probably closer to 4:30 - 5:00 p.m. ad then you have Kona Cafe at 6:15 p.m. That seems a little close to me and not sure you are going to be that hungry the soon for Kona Cafe.

Personally, I would get rid of California Grill and somewhere / anywhere else....Artist Point, 'Ohana, Narcoossee's

Hey everyone! Like a lot of people, I made my ADRs at 180 days and have been "tweaking" them ever since. I'm not sure if it is too much, but am afraid to not have a place to get out of the heat. This trip will be for my friend and I, who are both middle aged women and I like to take a break midday, to give a little context. I have been several times, but she has not been to Disney since her kids were little, so probably 15-18 years.

We are arriving Thursday, August 16 in the evening and staying at the airport, so we will take the magical express in the morning.

Friday, August 17
11:30 am - Via Napoli
7:30 pm - La Hacienda San Angel

Saturday, August 18
11:05 am - Plaza
7:00 pm - Hollywood Brown Derby

Sunday, August 19
11:00 am - Yak n Yeti
7:00 pm - Be Our Guest

Monday, August 20
11:30 am - Coral Reef

For appetizers or dessert and drinks:
5:15 pm - Boathouse
8:00 pm - Wine Bar George
10:00 pm- Raglan Road

Tuesday, August 21st
Pool Day
6:15 pm - Hoop de Doo

Wednesday, August 22nd

Thursday, August 23rd
11:05 am - Liberty Tree Tavern
7:00 pm - Tiffins

Friday, August 24th
2:00 pm - Sanaa
MNSSHP

Saturday, August 25th
11:00 am - Beaches and Cream
7:30 pm - California Grill

Please let me know what you think. Is it too much? Should I get rid of anything?

Thanks!
Stacy
I think your plan looks fine. It is a lot of park hopping and I am not sure what resort you will be at. If you are going back to your hotel to rest, then it doesn’t really matter if you are switching parks. You also don’t have to have an appetizer, entree and dessert at every meal, so I don’t think it has to be too much food, especially if you are paying OOP.

I think you have a nice variety. Have a wonderful trip!

Wow! Now that's some eating. I thought I over scheduled. If I had DxDdp I may try this but not with all the snack credits we get on the regular DDP.

Wow! Thanks everyone! This gave me much to think about and I made some changes. I am trying this "quoting" thing for the first time, so bear with me if I don't do it right!

In particular, these look too close together, time-wise. I don't know anything about the wine tasting and how long it takes, but I'd wonder if one activity at AKL within three hours of another activity at the Poly is too close -- especially if you don't have your own car.

Wednesday, August 22nd

I did rethink that one. I pushed the Kona Cafe to 7:30. The wine tasting is about an hour, so I figured that should give us plenty of time. I really just want the bread pudding at Kona, so if we aren't hungry after the wine tasting, we might just do dessert!

I think your plan looks fine. It is a lot of park hopping and I am not sure what resort you will be at. If you are going back to your hotel to rest, then it doesn’t really matter if you are switching parks. You also don’t have to have an appetizer, entree and dessert at every meal, so I don’t think it has to be too much food, especially if you are paying OOP.

I think you have a nice variety. Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks! We are paying OOP and splitting meals, so I think we will be ok.

For me, it looks like you are doing a lot of park hopping for food. For my wife and I, food selection is all part of the experience of going to WDW.

You are eating at The Plaza one day for lunch and then BOG a different dinner. Couldn't get them both the same day so you aren't park hopping so much? Same thing for Yak n Yeti one day for lunch and Tiffins one evening for dinner. Couldn't get them both on the same day???

Also, I am not sure you are going to be hungry so quickly on Wednesday. Jiko Wine Tasting is going to take over an hour which puts you finishing up there probably closer to 4:30 - 5:00 p.m. ad then you have Kona Cafe at 6:15 p.m. That seems a little close to me and not sure you are going to be that hungry the soon for Kona Cafe.

Personally, I would get rid of California Grill and somewhere / anywhere else....Artist Point, 'Ohana, Narcoossee's

We could probably have gotten them on the same day, but we are planning on breaking most days for a rest, swim, shower with how hot August is. I have done this before and really enjoy touring like this. Since we are going back to the hotel, I didn't really worry about changing parks in the evening. As for California Grill, do you not like it? My hubby and I went there a year and a half ago and had a wonderful experience, that is why I chose it. Has it gone downhill?

We have always done a table service lunch followed by table service dinner. I'm always baffled by why people say that's too much food compared to quick service when quick service food at WDW is not exactly light eating for the most part (I've never felt so gross as I did after a counter service at Cosmic Rays with a bacon burger and fries, ooogh). It is nice to have a break to relax at a TS restaurant.

Ok, good! This is what I was thinking, but I thought maybe I was missing something. We enjoy sharing appetizers or a meal, so I feel like what we order will control whether it is too much food or not?

I too think it is too much hopping and we always take a midday break and hop. Some of your "hops" are so close together there is no real break time there with transportation time

I agree that some of them were too close- I adjusted the Kona reservation as I think that one would be a little tricky.

I actually like a sit down lunch, I usually just get an appetizer and salad rather than a big heavy meal. Takes about the same amount of time and I enjoy it so much more than a counter service.

We also were talking about splitting meals or even appetizers as well. I think the break from the heat will be welcome.

For me, personally, that would be a lot of food. (I'm a 59 year old woman if that makes a difference.) We do the regular DDP, with one table service and one counter service meal a day, and find that it's more than enough food.

Oh, and because you're going over the summer, I'll add my standard advice: be sure to order a case of water. You can order just water through Staples, or in addition to other snacks at garden grocer.

Definitely going to order from garden grocer! I have looked into some more inexpensive options, but I have ordered from them in the past and their quality has always been really good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter