• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SeattleRedBear -- Day Two (Oct 30)

SeattleRedBear

Mouseketeer<br><font color=red>An old floorboard c
Unfortunately, it's been too long since the trip for me to remember details, so this will be the final installment. My apologies.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary: 4 days (Oct 29-Nov 1) at the Disneyland Resort and a day in Hollywood (Oct 28) to celebrate a friend's 50th birthday. Crowds weren't bad, weather was beautiful and California Screamin' was running (eventually).

Cast of characters:

SeattleRedBear: Mid-40s librarian Disney fan and planner of all trips
DisneyHusBear: Early 50s, delicate flower that only starts blossoming about 2:00 in the afternoon after copious amounts of coffee
Birthday Girl: Her 50th birthday was the reason for the trip. AKA: Chatterbox.
Kid Doc: Early 50s best-friend pediatrician in Corvallis. Still a kid at heart who you can dare to do anything.

Day 2 (Saturday)

DL opened at 8 am, DCA at 10. We had reservations at 2:30 for the Walk in Walt's footsteps tour. I had originally planned on using our EE this morning, but since we got to bed *so* late the previous night, I figured we could do EE on Monday instead and that today it might make more sense to do DCA in the morning, tour DL in the late afternoon and evening as today was our only chance to see Wishes. Even with getting up around 9:00, we still didn't get a full night's sleep. Cereal and coffee in the room for breakfast cut down on our prep time, so we ended up entering DCA around 10:30. First to Soarin' to get FP (about 1/2 hr wait at that point) and we could hear the screams coming from Screamin'...Yeah! Hoofed it over to ToT. Less than 10 minute wait. Well, Kid Doc and I were both *very* disappointed in the DCA version. Maybe sitting in the upper corner didn't convey the complete effect of the 'ghosts' but overall it was very disappointing compared to the WDW version. HusBear has always been a DL loyalist and so would hear nothing of our bad-mouthing it, but I really don't consider this version to even be an E-Ticket.

Then on to Screamin' Oh, oh. By the time we're walking past Ariel's Grotto, I realize I hear no screams. Kid Doc (who's the oldest one of us, but has the most energy) runs ahead and finds out that they've closed it temporarily, with no idea of when it will start running again. We were told we could ask anyone in the park to call and find out if it's running when we return. Well, we continue around Paradise Pier to Mulholland Madness (which was closed the last time we are at DCA a couple years ago). As we walk by the various PP attractions, we're deciding what we'll return to: SunWheel, yes; Maliboomer, no (been there, done that and with the vomit screen in front of your face it's not very enjoyable...as KidDoc says "It's just like ToT and I'd rather do that."); Orange Stinger, maybe; BirthdayGirl decides she *has* to go on Jumpin' Jellyfish (she's reverting back to her childhood). Mulholland Madness was another disappointment in comparison with its WDW version (Primieval Whirl). First, the cars are smaller and HusBear & I are both very big guys (both 6'5", 290 & 260 respectively) so there is always a small amount of stress when we're getting into a ride vehicle for the first time (although our trick is to first sit down legs forward and if that doesn't work, then sit again, crossing the ankles). Second, the cars don't spin. It's a pretty straightforward wild mouse with no real magic. Sigh.

At this point, it's about 11:15. We figured we could do the 1:00 Aladdin show and have just enough time after the show to squeeze in our Soarin' FP, head over to DL, pick up our tour tickets and take the tour. We head back to the SunWheel (where it's a 30-minute wait for a moving car) and as we're waiting in line, I spy a small stack of cast newsletters by the operator's stand. Information is power, so we sneak one away and start looking at it. Wow, it's got all the opening and closing times for each store, the scheduled times for character appearances as well as all the events that aren't posted (like the various bands that are around the park). We finally get on the SunWheel (this 1/2 hr was the longest wait we had the entire trip) and had a pleasant ride (only a couple moments where the car slid to the point of minor panic...the last time HusBear & I were on this ride, we shared the car with a small Japanese couple who together must not have weighed more than 175 pounds...175 pounds on one side of the car vs. 550 pounds on the other results in some serious air time...without anything to hang on to we scared s***less). Then headed over to Golden Zephyr (nice gentle ride; luckily no line). At this point, HusBear & I are getting hungry and the Korn Dog Kastle is right there (and I've heard such wonderful things about it from the list). Kid Doc & BirthdayGirl have been snacking on granola and power bars (Kid Doc was a boy scout in a past life...always prepared) so they decide to skip corn dogs and save a place in line for us over at Aladdin. This decision to split up was almost a big mistake as it took about 20 minutes for Korn Dog Kastle to serve the four people in front of us and the corn dogs are HUGE! I had no idea they would be that big! I was imagining a quick inhale and then heading to Aladdin, but these corn dogs definitely take time to eat. By the time we eat and hoof across the park, Kid Doc is just heading into the theater, but the main floor has already been closed (our first experience with a rude CM yelling insistingly that there was absolutely no room on the main floor when Kid Doc later reported there was tons of seats), so we yelled at each other to meet in front of the theater after the show. As always, the Aladdin show is very enjoyable, topical humor interspersed with very good stage effects, and seeing it from the balcony allowed me to better see the flying carpet. We meet up after the show and head over to Soarin' to use our FPs. Yes, we get first row. This was the first time I've ridden in first row and it does make a difference not having feet dangling above you. I don't think I will ever tire of this ride.

At this point, it's time to head over to DL for the tour. At Guest Relations, I'm told I need to pick up the tickets in the ticket booths outside the entrance (Ooops, forgot this). "You guys head over to the Emporium and I'll find you after I get the tickets." Then I pick up the tickets and find out the tour is scheduled for the next day! (I look at the notes I scribbled in my unofficial guide and, sure enough, I purchased tickets for a Sunday tour...apparently I SOOO wanted to take the tour that I remembered it being a day earlier). The park is fairly crowded but I figured there would be at least a few rides with no lines that we could go on. Kid Doc is focused on finding a replacement watch band for her MM watch (her old leather watch band was stamped with a hidden mickey and current watch bands no longer have that detail). So after more time in the Emporium and New Century Timepieces, Kid Doc & Birthday Girl realize they're both hungry. We're standing right next to the Carnation Cafe (with Disney Visa 10% discount), so wait about 20 minutes for a table. Our waiter (who it turns out is Danish, very nice guy who had been working at Napa Rose) spies the newsletter and gives us a hard time ("How did you get that? It has all our secrets...you know, I'm going to have to kill you now.") as we try to hide it from view. Chicken & Beef pot pies and stuffed potato soup were all delicious.

We then head over to HMH, eager to see it as BirthdayGirl had just seen the movie for the first time the week before. 1/2 hr. wait but fast passes are for about 1/2 hr later (why would you wait in line for 1/2 hr when you get a fastpass for that same amount of time). Head over to Pirates (no line); they've spruced things up since the last time we were there. More smoke in the battle scene and you could tell some of the figures had been cleaned up. Then over to BTMRR to get FP's, but ooops, we still had our outstanding HMH FP's *and* the BTMRR FP machine would not issue us FPs (apparently, the HMH FP machine is now hooked into the DL FP network). Well, the wait was only about 20 minutes, so we go on BTMRR, then head back to HMH which is absolutely wonderful. Every year they do more with it and the 'library' in the ballroom is just a great addition.

We decide to head over to TL to see how long the SM standby is (I figure we'll do this on EE Monday but wanted to get a sense of how crowded it was). However, going through the hub we get stopped because Parade of Dreams has just started. We end up finding a standing place up the steps looking straight down Main Street so watched the parade (and added bonus that we weren't planning for). Some very clever ideas (I especially liked the hanging chandeliers in B&B and the acrobat marionettes on rubber bands for Pinocchio). Then on to TL where we see the SM is 90 minutes and FPs are gone for the day. Surprisingly, Buzz Lightyear only has a 15 minute wait so to infinity and beyond! Finally, a new attraction which is better at DL!! As others have commented, I really like the fact that the guns are not attached to the ride vehicle and you also know when you have a hit by the light on your gun. I also like the look and feel of the ride a little better. By this time, it's about 7:30. I'm ready to go find a place for Dreams (since I've read that the best place to see the castle effects are from an open area in the Hub) but everyone is getting hungry/cranky by this time (power bars only go so far) so dinner at Red Rockett's (going for the Disney Visa discount). We get out of Red Rockett's (it was packed and really unorganized...what are supposed to be separate lines for different counters all merge so people don't know where one line starts and another line ends, many people getting in the line for salads thinking it's the line for the entire restaurant, etc.) and with an hour to go before Wishes everyone (except me) decides to fit in at least one ride before Wishes (I'm ready to try and stake out that spot knowing how bad the crowds are). We end up going on the Matterhorn at night (which is the only way to experience the Matterhorn). Yeah, it's slow and jarring but it ended up being one of our favorite rides because 1) at night you can't see where you're going so there's still a lot of surprises and 2) the sleds are *so* huge (each of us got in our own car) that you're sliding all over the place and really feel like you'll fall out at any point (serious air time). We preferred the left side to the right.

By now, the Hub has filled and we're told that there might be a place to see the castle from Main Street. KidDoc scouts and can't find anything (I said we should have camped out earlier) so we end up behind a tree with a clear view of the sky but partially blocked view of castle) but we figured once the show starts the ropes would drop and we could reposition a little. Even so, we still missed most of the castle images. I have 11 months to return and see it properly.

After Wishes, we head over to Indiana Jones on the off-chance that most people would be at the second Fantasmic show or would have have started leaving the park. We only have a 15 minute wait. Then over to HMH (once again, this was our favorite) and to Pooh. Here is where KidDoc & I completely lose it. It's been a really fun, but very long day and when I (with my 36" inseam legs) try to get into one of those little Hunny Bucket cars, I just can't do it. KidDoc is already in and I try to sit next to her and no matter which way I put my knees we just don't fit. KidDoc ends up jammed at end of the seat with my legs taking up most of the seat and we end up laughing hysterically through the entire ride.

Then onto Splash Mountain (which is our traditional last ride before we leave the park because we don't want to walk around in wet socks and underwear). Even with the weight in the back (the guys) we still get soaked. Walked back to Main Street (just missed a train) and shuttle Mickey & Friends. We're back to condo about midnight and in bed soon after.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter