• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seattle Budget trip Looking for ideas!

MKCP5

DIS Veteran
We are heading to Seattle in July for a wedding. We want to expand the trip to explore and have some fun. We have been there once before and will probably go back to pike place market, etc. but are looking to expand our horizons especially in regards to being outdoors and the culture of that part of the USA. We love to hike, but I can't do super tough climbs as I have really bad knees. I'm great for distance as long as it isn't super steep though! We have a little bit to spend, but just the flights etc are a lot from Boston so we don't have a big entertainment budget. Thoughts? Thanks so much!

The Seattle Citypass is a great deal and will save you money if you plan on the aquarium, Space Needle, zoo and more.
There was another post recently on Seattle if you do a search, pretty sure it was on the budget board.
I'll try to figure out how to find it and how to post a link.

Go down to the Locks. You can walk around, look at the gardens, see the fish, watch the boats go in and out through the locks, and it is free.

I would look at doing a tour of Seattle Underground. It is not free, but worth the tour.

Take a ferry ride. Not free, but def. low cost.

Walk around Seattle Center. Free unless you want to do a ride or go up in the Space Needle.

Consider going to Edmonds and then taking the ferry across to Kingston. You CAN get to Edmonds on a transit bus or three - LOL -- but you can take Amtrak from downtown for not too much. I posted about it in the link above.

Also, in downtown, near the underground tour is a tiny "national park" of sorts, run by the National Park Service. It's a museum dedicated to the history of the gold rush and how it changed Seattle. In addition to having clean bathrooms HAHA, it also has interesting exhibits, etc. It WAS free, I expect still is. Near that is a retail shop dedicated to selling "rocks." Minerals/gems, actually. Not pretenious at all, and they have some really great stuff. You can even buy some cheap interesting rocks for a few dollars....don't remember the name, but should be able to find it on Google.

If you have time to get out of the city, head over to Rainier for some nice mild hikes. Check out Paradise. It's unbelievable.

Mt Rainier National Park is awesome. Even if you aren't into hiking, the visitors center is great. It's like a museum.

If you want to drive a ways, Olympic national park is beatiful too, as are the San Juan islands.

Since you're coming from a city, after seeing the highlights, id get out and see the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest!

Mt Rainier National Park is awesome. Even if you aren't into hiking, the visitors center is great. It's like a museum.

If you want to drive a ways, Olympic national park is beatiful too, as are the San Juan islands.

Since you're coming from a city, after seeing the highlights, id get out and see the natural beauty of the Pacific Northwest!

That's exactly what we are looking for! Favorite trails or spots in nature to recommend?

If you have time to get out of the city, head over to Rainier for some nice mild hikes. Check out Paradise. It's unbelievable.

I was looking at Paradise online It looks incredible! Definitely want to do that!

We are known for our walking paths in Seattle. If you want to stay in town, a great place is Discovery Park. Huge park by the water, Puget Sound. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/seattle-magnolia-area-beach-discovery-park

I can even recommend a restaurant, Chinooks, that is about a mile from the entrance. It's located at Fisherman's Terminal, where a lot of Commercial Fishing boats are docked.

Another path is by University of Washington, Washington Park Arboretum, again by the water, Lake Washington. (We have a lot of water around here). http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/washington-park-arboretum

Our big city trail is Burke-Gilman trail, about 18 miles long around the city. Flat, but has bikes riding on it. http://www.kingcounty.gov/services/...ional-trails/popular-trails/burke-gilman.aspx

I love my city, even with the rain!

Have a great time!

Last edited:
I did a girls' weekend there a few years ago. We found an Embassy Suites that was close to the train into town for about half of what a similar room was close to the tourist attractions. It was in a perfectly lovely neighborhood and had plenty of thrifting (we are mostly thrifting girls. . .). I want to say it was near the airport. Had one of the better Embassy Suites manager's receptions I've encountered, too, so we were able to get started on our evenings for tip money!

That's exactly what we are looking for! Favorite trails or spots in nature to recommend?

The weather in that region can be so iffy. I would check the forecast for a few areas you're interested in and go wherever it looks like it'll be the nicest! Once you arrive, ask the park rangers for recommendations. They're usually suoer knowledgeable and friendly (as are most people in the Pacific Northwest, tbh)

We just had a years worth of rain in 5.5 months so hopefully none in July. ;) I love Port Townsend and Whidbey Island.

You can walk on to the Bainbridge Ferry, leaving from Coleman Dock in the city. On the Bainbridge side it's a short walk up (and that does mean up hill) into the town where there's nice eating and shopping. Or you can drive on to the ferry and then also head over to Pt Townsend, which is a cute Victoria fishing town about a nice hour's drive from the ferry.

it might not be budget friendly BUT "wings over washington" is mindblowing imo. it's like soarin but cranked up to 11. the whole pier area over there is a lot of fun. there's the curiosity shop, some neat food places, there's jelly fish in the water you can see, and the wheel has amazing sunset views.

if you don't mind a drive or are a huge twin peaks fan, you can go out to twedes cafe or snoqualmie falls. you can take trails all the way to the bottom of the falls and it's stunning.

Last edited:
We just had a years worth of rain in 5.5 months so hopefully none in July. ;) I love Port Townsend and Whidbey Island.

I'm so done with the rain this year. I don't need sun I just want the rain to stop. It's been so constant this uear and not at all like normal.

Thanks for all the good thoughts! Looking forward to a wonderful time!

We will be in Seattle for 3 days before our cruise. We are now thinking of renting a car to get out and explore. How far is Mt. Rainer vs San Juan Islands. Any recommendations on where to stay.

We often take guests to Snoqualmie Falls. Very pretty with a short trail.

Any recommendation on where to stay for the Falls?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter