Seats on the bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireRN

Mouseketeer
We just returned from a wonderful 8 day trip and Disney didn't disappoint. However the some other attendees did. I just wonder what self respecting able bodied 20 or 30 something sits comfortably in a seat while a sleepy 4 year old or woman holding a sleeping 2 year old has to stand. :confused3

Most people were wonderful and I watched many a 60 something express their sadness about their inability to offer up their seat. As usual it was just a select few and we certainly didn't let in ruin our trip. Just wanted to encourage all future Disney travelers would think twice before sitting on the bus.

You will be raked over the coals for this one. Just FYI.

And you don't know that the people sitting were "able bodied" or not. You don't know if they had an invisible disability.

And quite honestly, it's a line for the bus. You wait your turn. If you want to be ensured a seat at the end of the day, rent a car

In a perfect world, yes, someone would offer up their seats. But quite honestly, the people sitting waited longer for the bus than the people standing, and they have every right to occupy the seat that they waited for.

This topic has been done to death but after a 14 hour day at the park I'm exhausted and have every right to stay in my seat. That being said I will give up a seat to pregnant women or seniors but that's it. If you really want a seat it wouldn't kill you to wait for the next bus! No one is entitled to a seat

Don't take the bait . . . don't take the bait . . . don't take the bait . . .

Crap. I'm too weak.

Nothing is stopping the able-bodies parent of said children from letting a bus that has already run out of seats pass, so they can be first on the next bus to come and have their choice of seats.

Nothing is stopping the able-bodied parents of said children from planning for a full bus scenario and making sure to leave the parks early enough that their children won't be exhausted and in such dire need of someone else's seat.

Nothing is stopping able-bodied parents from planning for their own children's needs, rather than just assuming that strangers should be more heavily charged with meeting those children's needs than their own parents are.

Well aware that many will disagree. That was very evident this week. I agree that everyone has a right to their seat, just saying that IMO the kind thing to do is offer it up. Chivalry is largely dead.

How many threads about this??

You don't have to get on the bus, you can always wait for the next one. When I have my sleepy/sleeping DS with me, I always get to the front of the bus line and let people pass if I'm not sure about getting a seat. Doesn't take much longer for the next bus to come. Then, we get on that bus and have a seat.

Don't take the bait . . . don't take the bait . . . don't take the bait . . .

Crap. I'm too weak.

Nothing is stopping the able-bodies parent of said children from letting a bus that has already run out of seats pass, so they can be first on the next bus to come and have their choice of seats.

Nothing is stopping the able-bodied parents of said children from planning for a full bus scenario and making sure to leave the parks early enough that their children won't be exhausted and in such dire need of someone else's seat.

Nothing is stopping able-bodied parents from planning for their own children's needs, rather than just assuming that strangers should be more heavily charged with meeting those children's needs than their own parents are.

This. :thumbsup2

How about if Disney starts a new policy that it will only allow as many people on a bus as there are seats? That way everyone will get a seat.

Of course it does mean that either (1) people will have to spend a lot more time waiting for a bus, or (2) Disney will have to at least double the size of the fleet, the number of drivers, and the number of drivers on duty during peak periods, Or (3) or both.

Well aware that many will disagree. That was very evident this week. I agree that everyone has a right to their seat, just saying that IMO the kind thing to do is offer it up. Chivalry is largely dead.

But, maybe the "kind" thing for you to do for your children, is to wait for the next bus. Why would you depend on strangers to make sure you and your children are comfortable?

You will be raked over the coals for this one. Just FYI.

And you don't know that the people sitting were "able bodied" or not. You don't know if they had an invisible disability.

And quite honestly, it's a line for the bus. You wait your turn. If you want to be ensured a seat at the end of the day, rent a car

In a perfect world, yes, someone would offer up their seats. But quite honestly, the people sitting waited longer for the bus than the people standing, and they have every right to occupy the seat that they waited for.

:thumbsup2

I completely agree with this. No offense but I have three children myself; went to Disney when they were small and not once would I have every expected anyone to give up their seat. If I wanted a seat that bad or needed one I would wait.

My hubby is old school and he has always given his seat up if needed; it's the way he was raised.

A seat freely given is fine in my book but it shouldn't be expected.

We just returned from a wonderful 8 day trip and Disney didn't disappoint. However the some other attendees did. I just wonder what self respecting able bodied 20 or 30 something sits comfortably in a seat while a sleepy 4 year old or woman holding a sleeping 2 year old has to stand. :confused3

Most people were wonderful and I watched many a 60 something express their sadness about their inability to offer up their seat. As usual it was just a select few and we certainly didn't let in ruin our trip. Just wanted to encourage all future Disney travelers would think twice before sitting on the bus.

1) You have no idea why any specific person is sitting on the bus. That "able bodied 20 or 30 something" may just have a medical condition or a very good reason for staying seated. One should not judge because they don't have all the information.

2) If you need or want a seat, that is up to you. It is called personal responsibility. Want a seat? Rent a car or wait for the next bus.

3) Everyone has an equal right to that seat. If you must have one, see number 2 above. However, don't get on the bus thinking people should move for you. THEY may have waiting another bus to be sure to get a seat. Why should they move for someone who feel entitled?

4) Everyone always says it is "rude" to not get up for another person who needs the seat "more". Isn't it just as rude to "expect" someone to do something for you just because you're "special"?

I've abstained from commenting on this topic in the past, but I need to add my two cents this time. No one should ever expect someone to give up their seat on the bus. If you think you will be so sore or tired by the end of the day that you won't be able to stand if the bus is crowded, then you should drive to the park or use a wheel chair. I have given up my seat on occasion for a senior, but sometimes I'm so tires, and my hip hurts so badly that I have to sit. If I have waited 30-45 minutes for a bus after following my two teenagers around the park for 14 hours, I think I have earned the right to sit and not give it up to a parent who has a tired and fussy toddler who has been kept in the park much longer than they should. I have a right to that seat without being judged by someone who thinks they are more entitled to it because of their age, or because their children are younger than mine.

During an 8 day trip I sat maybe 3 times on the bus (those were bus trips were everybody sat) because that's the way I was raised. It is also how my children will be raised. My son only gets a few more trips until he gets to join me standing so that others that have a greater need for the seat may have it.

During an 8 day trip I sat maybe 3 times on the bus (those were bus trips were everybody sat) because that's the way I was raised. It is also how my children will be raised. My son only gets a few more trips until he gets to join me standing so that others that have a greater need for the seat may have it.

:thumbsup2 Same. We will always give up our seat for a senior, pregnant woman, or small child. I don't ever expect someone to do it for my 5 year old, but I'm always very greatful when they do. But I will always do it. I just feel that it's good manners and it's nice to be kind.

If you get on a standing room only bus plan to stand. You have no idea who is able bodied or who waited for another bus to have a seat.

Denise in MI

I could not agree with you more. I have given up my seat many times. As tired as I may be at the end of the day, I'm not going to deny a senior, pregnant woman or a child a seat, regardless of how long I may have waited. :confused3

My husband and I are in late middle age (at least that's how I like to think of it) and look perfectly fit and healthy...we both have knee problems and it can be painful by the end of the day. You'd have never guessed by looking at me sitting on the bus last November that I had just had meniscus surgery a few weeks before. Sometimes we have to stand, sometimes we are lucky to have a seat. Don't judge others. Don't expect other people to take care of your family. Ta da. Easy, right?

Oh, snap! And I was gonna stay out of this one. :laughing:

I must say that we have been to Disney twice. More times than I care to count I gave up my seat without even thinking about it. For me, it is about doing the right thing. No way I am going to let a child stand while I sit. No one else has to do what I do, but I personally would just get up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter