Seat Restraint Ideas?

marj70

Mouseketeer
DS, will be 4 for our December trip, has autism. I'm trying to think of a good way to keep him seated at restaurants. He is way too big for a high chair, and I don't remember many boosters with restraint belts at Disney (he is getting too big for these anyway). I'm looking for something that is portable for seating to keep him in place. He can undo a standard buckle such as the ones on the strollers, but I think he will stay in place on the bus and in the stroller. I'm mostly thinking about restaurants...

I've seen two things. One is called a portable travel vest that goes over a standard chair in a restaurant. This one is very portable, and cheap, but I'm worried he will be too big for it? The other option is one of those portable car seats, which would hold him for sure but would be heavier/bulkier to carry around. I'm leaning toward the portable car seat, like the ones at One Step Ahead. Does anyone have any ideas? DS does calm down considerable when he is restrained somehow.

I have seen in one of the special catalogs (Abilitations?) a "restraint" (they don't call it that) made from lycra, like bathing suit material. I have a daughter with Rett Syndrome, and bought some from the fabric store, a yard or two I think, to strap her onto a push sled I found for her, but have also used it on various chairs around the house (she tends to rock in her seat, has poor balance, and is non ambulatory, and may fall off a chair). Basically it's stretchy, and when long enough it can tie easily into a knot in back (and untie easily enough). It give proprioceptive input like a big hug, but also restrains (with adult supervision). Best of all, it's portable, and tiny!
Good luck
Joan

That sounds perfect for him. I should have also added, just in case anyone doesn't understand, that it relaxes and calms him to have some sort of restraint--it is not cruel by any means. He needs that structure to focus on things other than just flight. He loves cars, and likes the idea of seat belts, etc.

In our trial amusement park run, he loved riding in the rental stroller and called it his "car" even though he could get out anytime he wanted to. An ordinary restaurant chair is usually just too open for him.

I went to the local fabric store and looked in the clearance section to find bathing suit material, as it's not that cheap usually. The one in the catalog looked like that's all it was. Mine works GREAT!
Have fun
Joan

joanchris said:
I have seen in one of the special catalogs (Abilitations?) a "restraint" (they don't call it that) made from lycra, like bathing suit material. .......
Joan
I weent on line to Abilitations, but they don't have a search function.
I had an Abilitations catalog and looked it up. It's on page 233 of the Winter 2004 catalog. It is called a Chair Hugger. The cost was $30.99 and it looks like just a length of stretchy cloth where they finished off the edges.
It doesn't say how long it is, but the child they are using it on looks about 6 or so; you may need a longer one anyway.
In case you want to contact them, here's the info:
www.abilitations.com
1-800-850-8602

When we don't want to use the wheelchair, we've brought along a toddler chair that we bought at Walmart/Target. They are very portable and have a seat belt. They can be attached to almost any chair and only cost about $15. Your 4-year old should still fit in this. We used it with our daughter until she was 5 and she is VERY tall for her age. Good luck in your search! I hope you find something that works.

On a side note: I need to visit the DISabilities board more often! I'd love to chat more but I gotta get my sleepy head to bed. :)

For my 7 yo autistic son we use one of the things out of Abilitations. It works wonderfully, so I am sure if you could make something like that it would work. Chandler also craves that deep pressure and restraint. It just sounds weird when you type it, doesn't it? Hope you have a great trip!
Tracy :earsgirl: , wife to Darrin :earsboy: ,mom to Hannah princess: 10, Chandler :earboy2: 7, and Dustin pirate: 6

I know this sounds cruel, but years ago when I worked in a toddler day care we used old men's neck ties to tie around their hips to a preschool sized chair so they wouldn't fall out. We used a half-hitch with a loop so we could release them quickly if they choked on food or needed to be picked up and comforted for any other reason.

I started thinking that, for older children, you could sew a 12" x 12" square of fabric with ties at the bottom (hip) and top (just below armpits) and tie them around an adult chair in the same fashion. The child would sit upright and feel safe. The "chair helper" would be foldable, washable and in any fabric the child desired. :earsboy:

If you don't sew let the rest of us know.

I really like many of the ideas above. I know I shouldn't care, but I really am worried about people seeing that sort of thing and thinking I'm terrible. We get enough negative attention already based on DS's behavior. :sad1: I'm worried if the restraint is TOO obvious it'll be embarrasing. It was fine when we could do a booster with a belt that buckled--no one stared at that. I just don't remember many of those in WDW. If I could find something that looked like a booster but was portable... I love the idea of those cloth ones for toddlers, the portable ones that fit on any chair. I just need to figure out if it is big enough for him. We may just have to work a little harder on the restaurant manners and staying in our seats while we eat. Easier said than done. :rolleyes2

marj70 said:
We may just have to work a little harder on the restaurant manners and staying in our seats while we eat. Easier said than done. :rolleyes2

Have you tried weighted vests and/or "lap pads" (not sure if that's what they're called, but it's about 12x12 inches or so and is weighted)? If that type of input would be calming it might help with the table manners, but maybe not your back if it's in a backpack all day!
Joan

joanchris said:
Have you tried weighted vests and/or "lap pads" (not sure if that's what they're called, but it's about 12x12 inches or so and is weighted)? If that type of input would be calming it might help with the table manners, but maybe not your back if it's in a backpack all day!
Joan
You are right; they are called weighted lap pads.
Here's
an example.

What about one of the tabard style 'bibs' ( thats what they're called in the UK sports shops) which are used to distinguish teams in sports practise? It would slip over the child and the chair back would allow him leeway to lean towards his meal. I'm sure you can buy them in adult and junior sizes and they'd weigh next to nothing to carry about . It would also keep him clean if he's a messy eater!
Failing that how about a DIY tabard out of lycra/spandex? Because of the material the edges don't tend to fray so you don't even need to hem round the edges or the hole you cut for his head to go through. A couple of bits of velcro at either side would close it once its over child and chair back and he'd get the pressure reassurance from it by leaning into it.

Hope you find a solution and have a great trip.

* I have googled and discovered that in the US the items are known as 'pinnies' or 'scrimmage vests' ...although I think the scrimmage vests go over football pads and so would be massive. Even if you have to buy more than one at a time, it would probably still work out cheaper than some of the items from the disability catalogues AND you could have one in each car, some at home, some at relatives houses etc in case you ever forget to take one with you! Oh how I remember those days!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter