Sears pricing incident tonight

Jedimom

Mouseketeer
My son needed black pants for work, and we were striking out everywhere we looked so we hit up Sears. We found a pair priced at $55 and on sale for $27, which still was more than they were worth in my opinion. But because we'd had such trouble finding his size elsewhere I figured I'd bite the bullet and just pay it.

When we got to the counter, it rang up at $55 but I figured the discount would come off later. The cashier asked for my phone number and I said "no thanks" as I usually do when they ask. Didn't figure it would be a big deal. He then told me that I would save $27 by signing up with their program, otherwise I'd owe $55.

Thoroughly confused, I questioned him "so I only get the sales price of $27 if I give you my personal information?" Yes he replied. He could see I was perplexed by this and tried to sell me on the idea. "It'll only take a few minutes." I stood there and thought it over and in the end chose to walk away. (I know most people would just sign up, but I'm becoming more selective about who I allow to have my personal info. Guarantee Sears would sell it to the highest bidder.)

Anyway, as I left I looked at some of the sales signs and could see no mention of having to sign up for anything to get the price. Am I missing something? Do they really make you join their program to get the sales price and is that even legal? I guess I'm just curious more than anything. We ended up finding similar pants at Walmart for $19.88 so woohooo even better savings, lol.

You have to have a Kroger card to get their sale prices.
But Kroger states clearly in their ads and tags that you need the card for certain discounts.

We won't get into my personal opinion of Sears. I'll just say I'm not surprised. When pressed I have gotten companies to take my email in lieu of a phone number. If they won't take that then like you, I walk away.

Sears does have some things that are "member's price" so yes you'd have to be a member of their rewards program to get that price. It should have be advertised on the sign. I doubt its illegal, alot of stores do the same, even Amazon has special prices on things for Prime Members. What would have been illegal is if there was no stating "members only" on the sign and you brought it to the attention of the cashier and they still charged you $55 (at least in my state, not sure if that is a federal law).

When pressed I have gotten companies to take my email in lieu of a phone number. If they won't take that then like you, I walk away.

Just because they make you give them a phone number there is no reason you have to give them your phone number.

Just because they make you give them a phone number there is no reason you have to give them your phone number.
Not following you here. I don't give out my phone number. If they're not willing to take my email for their card/club for the discount I simply walk away. If they just want my number and there's no discount to be had I just don't give it.

Not following you here. I don't give out my phone number. If they're not willing to take my email for their card/club for the discount I simply walk away. If they just want my number and there's no discount to be had I just don't give it.

They don't need your phone number. Any phone number will work. Just give them a fake one. I just give them a number from a telemarketer who called me. Then the junk callers are calling each other and wasting their own time and not mine.

They don't need your phone number. Any phone number will work. Just give them a fake one. I just give them a number from a telemarketer who called me. Then the junk callers are calling each other and wasting their own time and not mine.
I guess it's the principle of the thing for me. If they don't want to take the info I'm willing to give they don't need my business bad enough. I can find somewhere else to shop that's less hassle.

A looong time ago, my wife and I had one of those prepaid phones stolen. I use that phone number if someone needs a number, but I don't want them to have mine. I also have some go-to fake ZIP codes of interesting local places, but I'm a bit of a character there, I admit.

If that's like the Shop Your Way rewards that Sears and K-Mart use, then you don't actually get the "discount" price at the point of sale. By giving your information and signing up, you'll get the $27 "savings" towards use on a future purchase.

If that's like the Shop Your Way rewards that Sears and K-Mart use, then you don't actually get the "discount" price at the point of sale. By giving your information and signing up, you'll get the $27 "savings" towards use on a future purchase.
Shop your way gives you points. And you would never get $27 by buying a $55 pair of pants.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter