• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sea World with an ECV?

JudithM

DIS Veteran
On our next trip to the Orlando area we are planning to visit Sea World. We have never been to Sea World. I will probably be renting an ECV from Walker, & we'll have our own car.

I am familiar with WDW parks, but not Sea World. How is parking? Is there a handicapped parking section near the entrance? Do they have anything similar to a GAC? How handicapped friendly is this park?

Any observations, comments, etc. would be appreciated. THANK YOU!

We went to Seaworld in June 2003. I was in a wheelchair (not ECV). I remember that it was very hilly. Probably because most attractions are in large amphitheaters where guests enter from up high but the show is down low.

there was always a wheelchair entrance, and I did not miss anything because of the wheelchair.

I can't picture the parking lot, but I'm sure we used my blue hanging tag on the rental car.

I do remember that the wheelchair seating for Shamu was in the "you'll get wet" section. I asked--they did not have any wheelchair seating anywhere else. It was raining that day, so we had our unbrellas out anyway. I used mine like a shield, pointing forward. I was seated near the camera guy (they put close up pictures on a screen so people can see better), and I always knew when to duck because he'd lift his protector over the camera. It really wasn't very wet--not like down front where DD10 and DD11 were sitting! I think mostly seaword is "covering" itself.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a particularly BUMPY bridge that sent terrible feelings through me as the wheelchair rolled over it. I hated that bridge. Looks nice I guess, but not pleasant for wheelchairs. Similar problems with the bridge to Old Man Island at POR, and with lots of the textured pavement at AK. Not friendly for people in wheelchairs who are uncomfortable with rattling.

I don't remember too much else off hand, but if you post a question, I'll try to answer it.

dj

princess:

i did seaworld a few years ago and rented from them, they have the BEST ECV'S!!! much nicer than DIS...(sorry..guys..but its true!) and easier to use as well. No problems with access unless it was rides that weren't built for someone with back problems(most rides are problematic that way everywhre and warn u not to ride w/back problems or if u r pregnant, same deal at sea world. We did one of their tours, and it was easy to get around during that too, and the guy in charge made sure I didn't get left behind or stuck somewhere i cdn't see... have fun! its one of my favorite places!! Plus when we went u got a second day free(NO IDEA IF THIS IS STILL IN EXISTENCE SO CK) which meant if u got tired or too sore, u cd come back later, which was really nice. And this isn't just for handicapped its for everyone! ENJOY!

I was at Sea World for the first time last week. The park is wonderful - we really ejoyed the pleasant, relaxing atmosphere. Handicapped parking is right in front of the entrance. We found all the crew members (I believe that is what the employees are called) to be very aware of guests using ECVs, wheelchairs, etc. I never had to ask first where I should go with the ECV. A crew member was a step ahead of me :). There are more shows & attractions (viewing animals, etc.) & less actual rides than a WDW park.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc Hi. I did SW about 10 years ago in a wheelchair because of an injury before we left. It was great, wife, or brother had to push me everywhere. Never got tired at all. Also a couple of years ago my sister went and rented electric cart for better mobility (arthritis). All exhibits and shows (except mayber rides if you can't transfer have handicap seating. There is special parking right near front gate. (Just ask for mirror tag when entering park and they direct you to special parking. Also you will find that many friends and relatives (as I did) will want to go with you as you and all your party go into a special line and entrance (no waiting) Sea World is very beautiful and easy to get around although is hilly if in a manual chair but is sometime better (remember first lines) Have fun. You will enjoy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter