Sea sickness

hulagirl

DIS Veteran
How much of an issue is seasickness on a cruise? If you already suffer from motion sickness in a car or on certain rides at amusement parks is it a real problem? Anyone spent alot of money on a "once in a lifetime" cruise only to have it spoiled by being sick the entire time? (This is the last thing holding me back from booking right now!)

I think it just depends on the individual and how rough the seas are when you are sailing. When my DH and I went in 1999 (3 day) we had very calm seas and you could not even tell the ship was moving. When we went in 2000 (4 day) the seas were a little rougher and my stomach was a little unsettled. Our DD who was 4 at the time, and had a tendency to get car sick, did experience some seasickness. This last March on our 7 day cruise we had more time at sea and some days the swells were a little high (not like they had on the 3/29 cruise though :eek: ). Each one of us took Bonine(sp?) every morning and no one had a problem.

It can also make a difference if you are going on a 3, 4, or 7 day cruise. The 3 & 4 day spend less time on the water sailing during the day then the 7 day does. It's hard to say what would work best for you but you might want to give the 3 or 4 day a try to see how it works before you do the 7 day.:)
LeiLani

I get sick. I get sick on darn near anything!!! When I go to the WDW (or any other amusement park), I start my day with dramamine. So, I was worried, too, for our cruise. Didn't want to miss half my honeymoon sitting infront of a toilet:(

I got the Scop patch from my doctor and applied the morning of the cruise. It worked like a charm!!! Not a hint of sickness. Some complain of the side effects (dry mouth, bad vision) but I really didn't suffer from anything at all....maybe a bit of dry mouth. Look into it and try it before you leave to make sure you don't suffer from any side effects and WASH YOUR HANDS after putting it on. If your going on a 7 day, you'll need 2 patches for that time frame.

I did get sick....after the cruise! I've heard that some people suffer from post-cruise sea sickness, and I felt horrible!!! My boss went on one last month and was still wearing her patch around the office to help stop her post cruise nausea.

Hi hulagirl.

How much of an issue is seasickness on a cruise? If you already suffer from motion sickness in a car or on certain rides at amusement parks is it a real problem?

How much of an issue is very subjective. However, I am quite susceptible to motion sickness and felt fine on our cruise.

Wishing you an enjoyable cruise.

I have been on 5 previous cruises prior to the our last March 29, Survivor Cruise. never before had I gotten sick. This time almost all of us got sick, but that was because we had 50 mile/hour winds and 20 foot seas. Even half of the crew were sick. I think this is a highly unusual situation, but not sure if anything would help in those conditions.

I believe most of the time the conditions are very good and hardly anyone has problems with the motion.

Buckaroo's Dad,
I am enjoying your posts as I wander around the Cruise Board. You have a sense of humor that really makes me laugh.:p
Thanks for the encouragement all -
I think we just may take a chance!

Take Bonine (or less expensive generic form) everyday - no matter what the seas may be when you awaken. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure- is that how that phrase goes?!
I sailed on NCL last year- we docked in St. Georges for three days- Bermuda is beautiful by the way! Because the ship was in port I discontinued taking the Bonine. Boy was i sorry! Once we hit the open waters I felt nasty! The Capt. was skirting the edges of a hurricane. Beware of sailing in October! I HAD to take a nap- and miss out on some fun - once the queesy feeling hits it is hard to get rid of.
The lesson learned? Take your Bonine every morning- no matter what!!! Better safe then sorry- especially since Bonine has no side effects- at least not for me and my family.
As for giving Bonine to children- My DS gets terribly motion sick- always has since infancy- childrens liquid Dramimine never helped at all. Pharmicist friend recommnded the Bonine. Although it states that it is for age 12 and up. he advised to simply cut the pill up into eighths for the child. He also stated that if I told anyone he recommended this he would deny it- I am stating the same! My son NEVER had any problem with it- he has been taking it since with great results.
Don't let this get in the way of enjoying your cruise to the fullest!

We always take the Bonine as a preventive measure..whether needed or not. It's best to try it on land before you go to see how it affects you. Not supposed to cause much drowsiness but everyone is different and some complain that it makes them sleepy. Bonine doesn't bother us so we take it to be on the safe side....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter