Sea sickness remedy?

jenpan

Luvin the Mouse!
I know I have seen various comments on these boards about prevention and cures for sea sickness. Any suggestions for a 6 year old as well as adults? Aren't there some medicines a 6 year old cannot take?

Thanks!! 42 days and counting:earsgirl: :sunny: :earsgirl:

for adults, i highly recommend the scoplamine patch (prescription)--it lasts 3 days and the only side effects we had were a little dry mouth, one person had mild blurred vision but well worth it when we had 20 foot waves. we also tried the "relief band" an electronic type of watch band that works kinda like accuppressure but with a little tingling in your hand. they run about $100 and have replaceable batteries--also works at amusement parks!

my 4 yr old (with a very weak stomach) only complained twice--both times at night when she was tired anyways. her doc had recommended benadryl--which worked ok. we also brought chewable dramamine--which worked well. both can make you tired--but it was night anyways--she slept well!

don't worry. . .honestly it's not that bad. consider a cabin in the rear--less up and down motion.

I am not sure about the 6 year old. Matt never complained once.

Now as for me. I will never go on a ship without a dose of Meclazine (aka Bonine) in my system. It works great for me.

As far as I'm concerned, SeaBands are the the only way to go! They aren't a medicine, therefore there are no side effects. You can also use them as needed, unlike the pills that have to be taken BEFORE you think you will need them.

You don't need a Rx for Seabands but they will probably be behind the counter at your Pharmacy ( or else they can order them for you). Buy them before you leave home! They were only about $6.00 a pair at home and about $11.00 a pair on the ship!

By the way, I'm really prone to seasickness but after about the first 24 hours of sailing, I took my SeaBands off because the ship was sailing so smoothly. Even when the waves got rough, I was fine.

When we first cruised with DS6 (now 7) he had no difficulty at all. This could be because someone had written that when you go underwater in their pools, somehow you get used to the movement easier. Something with equilibrium. I would like to bring Bonine or Ginger tablets. I had a headache the first day and then got used to the ship. This will be a challenge though, 7 days instead of 4 could be different.

Kim ºOº

There are a lot of other side affects for the Scop patch, which requires a prescription from your doctor. Personally, the way to go is either the Meclizine (if you just want to take a pill), or the SeaBands. Dramamine and Benadryl are the same thing (same active ingredient), and will usually make you drowsy (not a bad idea if you want the kids to go to sleep :)

Have a good trip. DH and I are leaving for our honeymoon trip on the 2nd, and I can't wait!

The patch worked for me. I also had Bonine, Dramamine, Seabands and ginger snaps. The patch worked so well, I didn't have to try any of the others. Crossing the gulf stream made it very rocky and I get very sick, but I only got a little queasy and didn't feel that bad. My son (8 yrs old) didn't need anything, so I can't answer about kids.

I tried Sea Bands, they didn't work for me. Having never been on a ship before, I didn't know what to expect - and sure enough after dinner the first night, I was not feeling well... I finally took 2 dramamine - the less drowsy formula... they knocked me out for about 24 hours! It was difficult to shake off the effects - so for the rest of the trip I used ginger capsules... didn't have anymore problems. Don't know if it was because of the ginger or just because I got used to the motion. Although I do have to say, I never really did get used to the motion, even at the end of the cruise I was still walking around like I was drunk! The hardest part was back on land! This isn't going to deter me from booking this years cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter