Sea Sickness Meds

toothdoc

Earning My Ears
I hope ya'll can help. My mother is leaving for a cruise next week and needs something for the motion of the boat. I know John and Kevin have discussed this on the podcast, but can not find. Does anyone know what they take? Thanks in advance.

I don't know what John and Kevin recommended, but I won't fly with out my Dramamine. I tried Bonnie but it did not work for me. Many years ago my Dr. prescribed a patch that worked well.

I would recommend that your mom ask her doctor what he reccomends, just in case she is taking medications or has any health issues.

We've always used Bonine...well John uses it. I'm tough. I dont need it.;)

On this last trip, it was unusually rocky and my Mom's first trip.

We bought her these pressure band cuffs. They have a small white plastic knob/dot that supposedly presses a pressure point.

They seemed to work, but we're suspicious that all they really do is take you mind off being seasick as they hurt so badly.

They actually left small black and blue bruises.....but....she wasnt seasick.

I hope this helps.

I can't remember where I read this, but I've heard ginger pills work well for some people. It's a natural alternative that's also good for stomach problems.

I'm a scuba diver but I get really seasick. I and most of the other divers I dive with swear by the Transderm Scop patch. You have to get it from your doctor but it works great. I've tried all of the other stuff including Bomine or Dramamine and this is the only thing that workes. You put the patch behind your ear and it is good for 3 days.

Here is a link to a diving website that describes the patch, how it works and some potential side effects. http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=62

Ty

I used Bonine on my last cruise, the leg between jamaica and Grand Cayman killed me and Bonine was the only thing that let me get to dinner that night.

Bonine (Meclizine)-less drowsy than Dramamine (dimenhydrinate), but Dramamine works better for most. Be careful with Bonine, though...it made me MORE drowsy than Dramamine!

Ginger, in any form, has been proven to be effective in many studies. I like it crystallized, some like it in ginger ale or ginger beer, some like it in capsule form.

SeaBands (those brutal wrist straps) seem to work well for my DS, who gets pretty seasick, but like Kevin, I suspect the placebo effect on these.

TransdermScop works very well for many, but can be some serious side effects for the unlucky few. If you do get a prescription from your doctor for this, I'd try it out at home first.

I am an avid sailor and have done some racing (J24s). On those rare occasions when I need something, I take ginger tablets.

I'm a scuba diver but I get really seasick. I and most of the other divers I dive with swear by the Transderm Scop patch. You have to get it from your doctor but it works great. I've tried all of the other stuff including Bomine or Dramamine and this is the only thing that workes. You put the patch behind your ear and it is good for 3 days.

Here is a link to a diving website that describes the patch, how it works and some potential side effects. http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=62

Ty

Transderm Scop...that was the name of the patch I used!

I use Transderm Scop as well! It works great!! One side effect I've noticed is I am very thirsty afterwards, but hey, water is good for you :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter