Sea before Land or Land before Sea??

Which do you prefer with a Land & Sea

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dug720

See the line where the sky meets the sea?
So long story - and if rates don't work out, it's a moot point, but trying to plan for possibilities for Summer 2022!

I had booked just a land vacation at WDW for Summer 2022 and am currently booked on a MDAS cruise in Feb 2022. Well, my TA sent me a video of a Q&A with Captain Kate (on Celebrity Edge) because she remembered how much I'd loved sailing with her in 2020, and it made me really miss the Edge too!! I wil always be a DCL girl at heart, but the Edge class is an awesome option, especially as a solo cruiser since they have single staterooms WITH infinite veranda. So I started looking at all their future cruising, and the only time for the foreseeable future that an Edge cruise would line up for me is Feb Break week - same as my MDAS cruise. I am good with Marvel and I do love Disney (plus for familial reasons, especially as it's starting back I feel like I need to do something on Disney), so...confusion!!

Then DCL released for viewing their Summer 2022 itineraries, and I see possibilities! I definitely want some time to enjoy all the 50th anniversary stuff, so I'm looking at a Land & Sea. Assuming, of course, that the price will be such that my already-paid deposit will cover it plus maybe a hundred of so more.

But I'm debating between WDW first and cruise second or cruise first and WDW second. I can see benefits to each - WDW first, you can park hard and relax on the ship; cruise first you get to put off the sad "vacation is over" feeling.

What are your thoughts on the order of land and sea vacations?

Thanks!!

I’m land before sea all the way! I look at WDW as a more hectic type of vacation. Super fun - but involving a lot of running around and planning. I like to do that first and then unwind with the cruise :)

Same here. We've done both and prefer WDW before for the same reason. Plus having to pay out of pocket for food hurts more after a cruise.

I might prefer sea before land since I do not like the idea of being exhausted when I get on the ship but do like the idea of being relaxed when I get to the parks. Also, cruise to real world is harsher transition for me. 😂

We are also 3 to 4 days of Orlando/WDW then the cruise. With family in the Orlando area, we do the visits first and WDW parks before going to PC. Lots of going places, see what's new, and out to dinner with family. Then the rush of the parks is about all we can handle. Always look forward to the relaxing feeling once we step onboard (actually I think about that feeling as we zoom through Orlando and Magic Kingdom, can't wait). Let us know which one you choose.

Whatever days you would waste on land should be used for a longer sailing. The only exception would be if Disneyland is involved, then fly into John Wayne Orange County Airport (SNA) before the cruise and do Disneyland/California Adventure. Then the morning of the cruise, take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner from the Anaheim ARTIC station to the San Diego Santa Fe station, literally walk across the street to the B Street Cruise Terminal. After the sailing, take a cab to San Diego Lindbergh International Airport (SAN) and fly home.

Whatever days you would waste on land should be used for a longer sailing. The only exception would be if Disneyland is involved, then fly into John Wayne Orange County Airport (SNA) before the cruise and do Disneyland/California Adventure. Then the morning of the cruise, take the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner from the Anaheim ARTIC station to the San Diego Santa Fe station, literally walk across the street to the B Street Cruise Terminal. After the sailing, take a cab to San Diego Lindbergh International Airport (SAN) and fly home.

Sadly neither of the 7-nights are over my birthday. :(

A few years ago we cruised first then WDW. I would reverse it if we did it again just because we seemed to be in a food coma after the cruise then had the dining plan at the parks. By that time I don't think we appreciated all of the good restaurants and food at WDW. I don't think you can go wrong either way though. Let us know what you decide!

I'm in the "WDW first, cruise second" camp. That way you wear yourself out "doing" WDW then rest up on the cruise. Ending the vacation with relaxation is so much nicer.

Same. WDW is too tiring for me. It was tiring when I was in my 30's, now it's just torture for me being in my 40s.
If you have a child its especially grueling with all the waiting in lines, walking non stop, etc.
After doing WDW, cruising is perfect as it allows you to rest properly. But then despite loving the ships, by the time the cruise ends I'm ready to go home.

Thanks all! I’ll keep you posted!! I’ll be keeping an eye on the pricing page on Monday - and my TA will be in communication with her colleagues to see where pricing is and see if any are even possible with my deposit parameters (the deposit I already have on the MDAS plus a bit extra).

It’s pretty much a win-win as there are good options with either.

WDW then cruise! Your legs will be tired and you'll need R&R, don't overbook on excursions perhaps! :)

Thanks. But actually since I walk everywhere anyway (I live in NYC and *gasp* have not had a car since 2006) I don’t have the leg stamina issues people who are car-bound have at Disney. I like the idea of relaxation after, but just to chill - not because my legs hurt.

I get a « vacation is over » feeling as well with WDW, so I’d go with WDW first, then the cruise, just because I’d want to rest by the end of the trip.

WDW then cruise! Your legs will be tired and you'll need R&R, don't overbook on excursions perhaps! :)

if your legs are tired from walking at wdw you must be old or in really bad shape. We will all get old someday or hopefully we live long enough to get old. But someone who is not old they should be fine at wdw. Your legs shouldn’t be tired.

I don’t know that my legs are tired after a day at Disney, but my feet certainly are. I could be in better shape, couldn’t we all, and I do walk regularly at home. What I don’t do however is walk 10 miles on multiple days in a row on concrete accompanied by long periods of standing in line.

We have done WDW before and after the cruise. Our first after cruise WDW trip turned out to be presidents weekend with our two young kids 😱. Needless to say, all of the good relaxation we got on the cruise was gone in a matter of moments 🤯.

So, for the most part we prefer going to the parks before the cruise, but as long as you go during a less crowded time and have the right expectations, going after should be fine. In fact, my wife and I are going on our first empty nest cruise this fall and plan on going to the parks before AND after! 🎉🎉🎉

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter