SDD causing me stress

cdurham1

Most magical at the most magical place on Earth
DVC Platinum
Planning October trip with 8 year old daughter. Have a pretty good grasp on our plans, which fastpasses to prioritize 30 days out, have reservations for different things, etc.

The one thing that seems to throw my plans off is SDD. I won't be able to get a FP. I am all for RD and we will be RDing things every day. However, it seems like to get SDD early in the morning, you have to RD the RD. To get in the first batch of guests for SDD, do I just have to plan on being there 1.5 hours before park open?

I like getting to the parks 45 minutes before open. It is a short enough time that the kids (and me) are still engaged, still excited about being early, the thrill of the anticipation doesn't wear off, etc. 1.5 hours early seems to be as bad as standing in line.

When I check the lines app, SDD is busy even at park close, even during evening shows, even at park open, all the frickin time.

Has anyone regretted basing their HS touring plan around SDD? Should we consider just forgetting about it and cross our fingers that a FS could magically appear day of? My touring plans looks magical without SDD. Maybe just eliminate the stress and enjoy it in a couple of years when new stuff opens and it isn't the hot new thing?

Go literally right before the park closes. The line moves faster without FP+, and the wait times are artificially inflated to discourage people getting in line.

Is it that important to her? My cousins just got back from a 10 day trip and they were underwhelmed by SDD. They had a 3 year old, 10 year old and 12 year old. They used FP+ for it-- said they definitely would not have waited in any long line for it- not worth it. They said it was a step up from Barnstormer, but definitely a step down from BTMRR or 7DMT. They said they would compare it to a longer length Barnstormer. The 3 year old was just as happy on Barnstormer, BTMRR or 7DMT, and preferred TSM or the Toy Alien ride to SDD.

If it is not that important to her, then I would just focus on other things and not worry about riding it this trip. If it is really important to her that she ride it, then I say figure something out so she gets what she wants. My all things Disney obsessed DD is 12 now. She watched everything she could on the building of Toy Story Land as it was being built and soaked in every single detail she could find (she wants to be an Imagineer). Given the choice for 1st tier- she surprisingly really wanted TSM over SDD- and our FPs were booked before my cousins gave their opinion. Their opinion pretty much confirmed to her that she had made the right choice. Her opinion is that it looks cute to watch from the outside, but as a ride itself it is not that impressive- just standard roller coaster. Although DD would have been fine with not riding it at all, I got an SDD FP+ for departure day since we had no plans for that day other than to spend a few hours in either EPCOT or DHS, so we will ride it then unless we somehow get on it before or she decides she would rather do something else the last day.

Go literally right before the park closes. The line moves faster without FP+, and the wait times are artificially inflated to discourage people getting in line.

this.

this has been our plan last 2 years Frozen. Get in line at 8:55pm....who wants to see illuminations for the 50th time anyway......when they stop letting fast past people in the building for Frozen...the stand by line clears out in 10-15 mins tops.

Definitely would not plan to much around any one attractions. you'll be back. As others said, the 8 yo will be less into the novelty of a ride and more into the ride itself, which is not that special. If you feel up to it at park close, give it a go. If you get to RD 45 min early and head straight for it, you might be ok. If not, don't stress out. Just enjoy that the rest of your TP is magical...

Lines are probably long at park open because there have been EMH every day starting at 7am and they let you in earlier than that. Maybe check on a day that does have EMH? I would think 45 minutes early should be pretty good!

However, it seems like to get SDD early in the morning, you have to RD the RD. To get in the first batch of guests for SDD, do I just have to plan on being there 1.5 hours before park open?

They're still running daily EMH, so no one knows what this is going to be like once they start with normal hours. Is your HS day an EMH?

They're still running daily EMH, so no one knows what this is going to be like once they start with normal hours. Is your HS day an EMH?

No, it isn't. But they could always amend the October calendar in early September like they have been doing recently.

just about all of September has AP pass holder previews too so this might have something to do with the lines in the morning no one knows for sure until September. the only days this does not happen is Sunday and Mondays

I’m going to agreee that the lines are shorter than they state at closing. It’s worked 2 trips for us this summer. Each time the line was 1/2 even 1/3 of the stated time.

We went on an evening emh and my dd 10 was desperate to ride it. We ended up getting in line at 11:10 and it said 75 minutes but we were off the ride in about 35. Plus with no fast passes the line constantly moves. It actually wasn’t that too bad of a line.

Personally, I can't get in line 1.5 hours before a park opens in order to avoid waiting in a line at the park. MAYBE if my plan was to go on that one ride (or just a few) and then leave the park, but we don't park hop so that's a no-go for me as well.

It's tough to call right now because every day has had 7 AM EMH where they've let guests in anywhere from 6:15 AM- 6:45 AM. Until those EMH end, no one really has a good guess as to what the waits will be. Right this second (5 PM on a Wednesday) it's showing a 65 minute wait. Most reports are that the line is moving faster than the posted wait time as well.

Personally, I can't get in line 1.5 hours before a park opens in order to avoid waiting in a line at the park. MAYBE if my plan was to go on that one ride (or just a few) and then leave the park, but we don't park hop so that's a no-go for me as well.

It's tough to call right now because every day has had 7 AM EMH where they've let guests in anywhere from 6:15 AM- 6:45 AM. Until those EMH end, no one really has a good guess as to what the waits will be. Right this second (5 PM on a Wednesday) it's showing a 65 minute wait. Most reports are that the line is moving faster than the posted wait time as well.

I'm glad you mentioned that first bit about waiting outside of the park, as it's something I had been thinking of a lot lately. When you think about it, you're still waiting over an hour for the ride, you're just doing it outside of the park as opposed to inside. I think sometimes people stress out about the wait times for lines and don't realize that they end up doing the waiting elsewhere.

I'm glad you mentioned that first bit about waiting outside of the park, as it's something I had been thinking of a lot lately. When you think about it, you're still waiting over an hour for the ride, you're just doing it outside of the park as opposed to inside. I think sometimes people stress out about the wait times for lines and don't realize that they end up doing the waiting elsewhere.
The point isn't that you're waiting in line. The point is that you're waiting in line BEFORE the park opens so you're not wasting park hours in line and you can do more while the park is open

The point isn't that you're waiting in line. The point is that you're waiting in line BEFORE the park opens so you're not wasting park hours in line and you can do more while the park is open
Yes, that is the other side of the coin I know, but you're still waiting in line for a long time, and if your only real goal is to ride a specific ride, then it doesn't matter.

When you think about it, you're still waiting over an hour for the ride, you're just doing it outside of the park as opposed to inside.

If you wait before the park opens, you're not missing any other rides. If you have a nice long trip or get to visit a lot, then maybe you don't need to be up early for RD. But, if you're trying to do everything you want to in 5 days, then waiting first thing in the morning lets you lengthen your day and get more done.

I am in post Disney depression (wait I just rinsed my kids mickey the dyes they made last Thursday so that was an upper today). We just got back at the ungodly 2:30 am (3:30 home) on Sunday morning.

We went to DHs twice in the am. But it was the EMH-7am.

We went Aug 2. My plan was to get there for 6-6:10. We got there closer to 6:20-we had a car for a day so drove over. Easily got in the park-they scanned our band to make sure we were resort guests. Waited and were near the front of the pack. They announced it wasn’t open at 6:45 and walked us over. Got on the 3rd ride that am. Did aliens once, TSMM 3 times (once with a FP), picires with Buzz, woody and Jesse, popsicle stick wall, some other wall and the bathroom and left Andy’s backyard at 8:10.

Second time was Monday the 6th. Dh and 12 yo dd stayed behind, dh wanted to sleep a little longer and dd didn’t like the ride (or any). So myself and my 17 and 14 yo went to the boat at about 6. Boat wasn’t running so we walked, ran, power walked over and got there at about 6:30-35. We were not as far up but still had not much of a wait. Only went on once, left TSL at 7-kids went to RNR and we were on the boat back at 7:30 with over 10k steps.

As far as the ride, I can’t do roller coasters like I used to. I really liked it. A few parts made me thankful I had an empty stomach one day and regret I ate the muffin on the walk in another day!

I had not been on 7DMT at that point but when we did finally get on that, I realized slinky is much faster. 7DMT is like slo mo-still made me regret breakfast.

Oh and stay to the right side of the pack. I read that somewhere because it loads on the right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter