SDD at night

grossmansr

Mouseketeer
We are planning to do DHS in the evening because we have no interest in the new Star Wars land (at least, not at this point in time) and have timed our FP+ as follows:

Minnie Mickey Railroad 5-6
Toy Story Mania 6-7
Alien Saucers 7-8

We also REALLY want to do Slinky Dog Dash and will start refreshing for FP+ as soon as we can. Considering how late it is, we certainly don't expect to score a FP+. With that in mind, what is the latest we should get in the standby line for SDD, with a park closing of 8:30?

We are planning to do DHS in the evening because we have no interest in the new Star Wars land (at least, not at this point in time) and have timed our FP+ as follows:

Minnie Mickey Railroad 5-6
Toy Story Mania 6-7
Alien Saucers 7-8

We also REALLY want to do Slinky Dog Dash and will start refreshing for FP+ as soon as we can. Considering how late it is, we certainly don't expect to score a FP+. With that in mind, what is the latest we should get in the standby line for SDD, with a park closing of 8:30?

You can get in line 5 minutes before closing. You can actually do it 1 minute before closing but if you're a minute too late you won't be able to get in.

We got on SDD at 8:29 (when the park closed at 8:30) last summer. The first CM said no, but the CM standing next to her said no, they can go we’re not closed yet. We just made it! We waited maybe 20/30 mins and the last to ride that night. I think the posted wait time was 90 mins.

I plan on doing it late March to end our night. I have told DW we will be in line by 8:15-8:20 to leave no doubt. She wanted to delay closer to 8:25.

Perfect. 8:25 it is! Meanwhile, I wonder what the chances of scoring an extra FP+ for AS2 or TSMM while we're waiting.

Perfect. 8:25 it is! Meanwhile, I wonder what the chances of scoring an extra FP+ for AS2 or TSMM while we're waiting.

This is exactly what we did. We scored a 4th fastpass for AS2 and then the wait for TSMM was 15 mins so we went on that. We then power walked to SDD and just made it on! It was such a win of a night! We did all the Toy Story rides in about an hour!

We have done SDD at closing several times. It is much better at night when the lights are on.
All you need to do is be n line before the park closes. I would get in line about 5 minutes before.
Its usually been under a 20 minute wait for us, despite what the standby line time says.

You can expect the posted waits at DHS to be about 4x the actual wait late at night, and the line for Toy Story drops to practically nothing during the last hour or so of the day.

You should have plenty of time for a few rides on TSM without needing a FP before heading over to Slinky for a last ride with the shortest wait of the day.

But as others have mentioned don’t be late. They do close the line the moment the clock hits 8:30.

Just for fun, I checked the stats for Slinky from yesterday. The posted wait just before closing time was 35 minutes, with an afternoon high of 150.

The actual wait near closing wasn’t reported but was likely 10 minutes or less.

Last edited:
In July we rode with a FP at night. Then 2 in my party rode TSMM standby and the other 3 of us got in line again for SDD. It was about 15 minutes until closing. The 2 who rode TSMM the line said 20 minutes and they walked on, then got in the SDD a bit behind us. We all made it on SDD in about 20 minutes.

We did this last year during Spring Break. We usually try to get in line about 5 minutes before close. And the line starts moving super fast once FP ends for the day.

In September we went to Hoop Dee Doo for dinner and decided afterwards to take a Minnie Van to DHS. We got to the park with an hour before it closed. I used a FP for ToT and we got right in line for SDD right after and we waited less than 30 minutes in the stand by line. We loved riding at night. Being at DHS at night is awesome.

When my mom, brother, and I rode it at closing the last time we were there, Sept. 3018, we didn’t wait too long at closing, probably about 40 minutes or less? I think the posted time was around 80. But once we got closer to the front of the line, they were separating the parties that had even or odd numbers in order to fill every seat. So if you had an odd numbered party you went to one side and the evens stayed on the other. Since we had odd, my sister decided last minute she didn’t want to ride, we went through to what I believe is the FP line and passed by probably half of the line and probably half of the wait. They were taking equally from both sides, it was just that the majority of people had I guess either like 2 or 4 people in their party.

It also just so happened that by the time we rode it, the fireworks started. So our entire ride was during the fireworks show there, which totally wasn’t planned, but incredible to experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter