Screen names: what does yours mean?

Mine comes from a nickname many years ago when I was in high school.

My favorite saying was:

"Whoever thought up the saying 'sex, drugs and rock and roll' obviously forgot about waffles"

Ha. Still cracks me up.
That's pretty funny. :)

Serious answer this time....

1. "Llama"=friends from my hometown bought a farm and raised llamas(not Lorenzo) on it. They gave me a baseball cap featuring the name of the farm on it, and I used to wear it occasionally during college. Fraternity brothers just started calling me Llama. I've been called much worse.
2. "King"=Senior year of college, I was voted Homecoming King. So my fraternity brothers updated the name.

I never said my story was interesting.

My weirdest --and arguably most fun-- job ever was training bats, in college. They are actually sweet, cuddly creatures that love having their heads rubbed. They want nothing more than to cuddle up somewhere warm and sleeeeeeep. The two I worked with I named Betsy and Fernando; while I was working with one, I'd put the other in the breast pocket of a vest I usually wore, or just hung them on my shirt where I could give them a pet now and then.

A little background: We were studying echolocation, and so I was training wild-caught bats to fly in specific patterns so that they'd go past high-speed cameras as they maneuvered and caught prey. Once we had that, we could match up their behavior to their vocalizations. There were many surprises! A big discovery was that bats don't catch their prey in their mouth-- they scoop it into the "pocket" that they create with their prehensile tail and adjoining soft skin. Then they stick their heads into that tail-pouch and eat --still flying! It looked like the Golden Snitch, but making munching noises! Too cute.

That is awesome! I always think of bats during the "We're Pollinators" song on the "It's tough to be a bug" attraction. I feel most people do not know that they pollinate as well as eat those pesky mosquitos.

That is awesome! I always think of bats during the "We're Pollinators" song on the "It's tough to be a bug" attraction. I feel most people do not know that they pollinate as well as eat those pesky mosquitos.

Interesting! Must be the fruit-eating varieties you're talking about? When I worked in the aforementioned Bat Lab (yes, it was fun to answer the Bat Phone!), we had a visit from a lab in Australia, where they were studying the physiology of the very large fruit bats they have there. That's a lot of weight on those wings, and without a lot of the adaptations that make it work for birds...And these guys are big!

A couple of interesting things I remember from what they said about them thar fruit bats:

1. They had several that they worked with in their lab (they did similar high-speed filming of them, to see the wings flexing in super slow-mo), and they said they were super nice and also liked being petted and cuddled.

2. They had wondered how the heck these rather heavy animals were able to hang from their toes, upside down all day while they slept. There's no way they could do it using muscles. So...You know how you have your carpal ligament, that runs through the carpal tunnel (you get "carpal tunnel syndrome" when the two rub too much, and get inflamed)? Turns out, on the bat version, they have ridges on both the ligament, and the tunnel. They're able to pull that ligament tight, and when they relax it, the "teeth" lock together-- kind of like the way you cinch a belt-- and their toes are held bent and locked tight around the branch, while their muscles can just relax. When they want to release the branch, just like you do with a belt, they use their muscles to tighten a little bit to unlock the teeth and let everything slide free again, and then they can let go. Isn't that cool?

Apologies to all for the thread highjack and random natural history lesson! ; )

Interesting! Must be the fruit-eating varieties you're talking about? When I worked in the aforementioned Bat Lab (yes, it was fun to answer the Bat Phone!), we had a visit from a lab in Australia, where they were studying the physiology of the very large fruit bats they have there. That's a lot of weight on those wings, and without a lot of the adaptations that make it work for birds...And these guys are big!

A couple of interesting things I remember from what they said about them thar fruit bats:

1. They had several that they worked with in their lab (they did similar high-speed filming of them, to see the wings flexing in super slow-mo), and they said they were super nice and also liked being petted and cuddled.

2. They had wondered how the heck these rather heavy animals were able to hang from their toes, upside down all day while they slept. There's no way they could do it using muscles. So...You know how you have your carpal ligament, that runs through the carpal tunnel (you get "carpal tunnel syndrome" when the two rub too much, and get inflamed)? Turns out, on the bat version, they have ridges on both the ligament, and the tunnel. They're able to pull that ligament tight, and when they relax it, the "teeth" lock together-- kind of like the way you cinch a belt-- and their toes are held bent and locked tight around the branch, while their muscles can just relax. When they want to release the branch, just like you do with a belt, they use their muscles to tighten a little bit to unlock the teeth and let everything slide free again, and then they can let go. Isn't that cool?

Apologies to all for the thread highjack and random natural history lesson! ; )
Again - fascinating - thank you!

Mine is boring. Just wanted to use something associated with Mickey (I'm sure I don't need to point out that Meeska Mooska was a phrase from the original Mickey Mouse Club but there could be young ones on here who have never seen it. BTW, I've only seen it in reruns myself)...Anyway, apparantly MeeskaMooska was already taken so I had to change it by adding a number. I chose 13 because that was the year I joined. Is it even possible to change your screen name?

my nick name is Mort....and my initials are B and J.

now I know what you're thinking, I'm the most creative person in the world. And in thinking that, you would be 100% correct.

My late DH came up with it - 'winter' is from the name of the town we lived in, 'man' is from our last name.

i'm not very creative...mine is the first 3 letter of my last name and the numbers are my birthday backwards.

Background:
I used to belong to be pretty active on another well known Disney forum, and my name there was a shorter variation of my current name. I never felt like it was quite right, so "TrojanSkippa" became "SoCalTrojanSkip".

Explanation:
I live in Southern California and went to USC which make me a "So Cal Trojan". O also worked at Disneyland for a few years and part of that time was spent as a Skipper on the World Famous Jungle Cruise...

Therefore:
SoCalTrojanSkip

my nick name is Mort....and my initials are B and J.

now I know what you're thinking, I'm the most creative person in the world. And in thinking that, you would be 100% correct.
I cant possibly imagine why your nickname is Mort...

Mortimer Mouse? ;-)

Mine is one I have used even before being on The DIS - it is a reference to Star Wars (from Sy Snootles and The Max Rebo Band) ... I like it because most people really into Star Wars get it but if you don't know what it is it doesn't come off as super geeky

And hey, now it is fully part of the Disney Family!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter