Screen based rides and motion sickness?

Thanks so much. My kids have the spray mist fans....if they can keep it discreet. Maybe not on FOP but something where they can hold onto it on their lap.
I remember the Simpsons ride got my kids at Universal LA. And just car rides can make them and me motion sick. They've done Star Tours and Soarin before and had no issue (although I felt it a touch on Soarin...but do love that ride)...but Guardians, Remy, FOP are all new to us.

Guardians I have heard spins you a lot so I think we'll miss that one. Remy, I suspect, might be one where closing your eyes will help. I don't think the ride vehicles spin that much (but I am prepared to be corrected!) and there is a lot of potential confusion given the screens, the 3d set and the ride vehicle. Flights of Passage is one that has caught me a bit off guard as I say - I had seen almost universal praise for the fact it didn't induce motion sickness, which surprised me. I am seeing it more and more. But then someone said they felt ill on Mickey's Philharmagic so who knows!

Y'all are making me nervous! We are riding Remy and GotG for the first time (hopefully--pixie dust for VQ/ILL!) in a couple weeks and I didn't even consider motion sickness. I can't handle Mission Space (Green or Orange) and FOP was not an enjoyable experience for me. MFSR also wasn't much fun, but I think if I were in the front row and not just pushing random buttons in the back I would have been okay.

Fingers crossed Remy and GotG aren't terrible! I watched POVs so am optimistic, but ughhhhh. I'm sure a lot of Universal rides would be miserable for me!
Oddly I do fine in the back pushing buttons on MFSR, but do not do well as pilot. The screen does me in.
GotG wasn't bad, Remy I have felt fine and felt bad, so...not sure what to say on that one LOL

I have found my group, lol. My daughter (26) has all ready asked what I won't be riding when we go at the end of September. FOP made me queazy but passed fairly quickly. EE got me SO nauseous it took an hour or so to start to feel better. I've ridden FJ at Universal twice, hoping I could conquer the feeling but no luck - felt sick for at least 30 minutes after riding. But I was fine on Remy at Disneyland Paris - go figure! And I love Soarin', no issues at all. I figure I'll walk the queue at GOTG and then take the chicken exit.

I started feeling sick on rides in my mid-30s, but only the screen/motion simulated rides. Now I can’t do spinning rides like tea cups either. I would love to know what non-drowsy motion sickness medications work for everyone.
Bonine (meclizine is the generic) works fairly well for me. I still won't ride the teacups or mission space, or read/look at my phone while in the car. I can tolerate rides that would otherwise make me sick, and come out with only a mild "off" feeling that goes away after a short while. On our last trip I was able to ride Star Tours, Smuggler's Run and Flight of Passage.

I got a scopolamine patch my trip last year in hopes of being able to ride some of the rides that normally would make me sick. Even with that patch, I could barely handle certain rides. FOP, RotR, and Remy I could only survive by closing my eyes for a portion of it. Rock and roller coaster never again. So now I know! And I definitely won’t attempt Guardians because there’s just too many other good rides to go on - why push myself onto something I know will make me sick just because it’s new?!
For what it’s worth I can do Soarin all day long with no issues, and I don’t ever get carsick. Just spinning and motion simulation with screens are my demise.

Thanks so much. My kids have the spray mist fans....if they can keep it discreet. Maybe not on FOP but something where they can hold onto it on their lap.
I remember the Simpsons ride got my kids at Universal LA. And just car rides can make them and me motion sick. They've done Star Tours and Soarin before and had no issue (although I felt it a touch on Soarin...but do love that ride)...but Guardians, Remy, FOP are all new to us.
GotG is a roller coaster - you really shouldn't have any loose objects in your hands for that.

I have been susceptible to motion sickness all my life. I haven’t noticed it getting any worse as I get older though.

What makes me the most nauseous at Disney are the 360 degree movies, for some reason. Even after taking meds, I will still feel the floor and railing move even though they are not physically doing so. Perhaps that is the problem . . .

I take one Bonine (meclizine HCI) each night on vacation, starting the night before I leave home, and so far, I haven’t had any issues on rides like Soarin, Remy or MMRR. I can’t take original Dramamine, as the medicine alone makes me sick.

Motion sickness is such a personal thing when it comes to causes and solutions. I hope everyone finds a remedy that works for them. It’s no fun feeling sick in a theme park.

My motion sickness is definitely triggered by screens and it's gotten worse as I've gotten older. I have learned over the years that if the ride vehicle is actually moving along on a track, like Remy or Spiderman or Guardians, then I am typically fine. I get a little wonky in my head, but it clears up quickly. If the seat is stationary and just moves side to side, front to back, then I get extremely messed up in the head. So I will never again ride Star tours or Simpsons hahaha. I've also learned though that as long as my eyes aren't open wide and I just squint, I can ride things like Flight of Passage and Soarin. Probably doesn't make it worth it, but I like the scents and music and such lol. Forbidden Journey at Universal is a bad one for me, but as long as I just watch the actual sets and close my eyes at the screens I'm good. I absolutely can't ride anything that spins, even the carousel (GotG was a rare exception of spinning that didn't bother me)...But I have kids so I suck it up and make sure I take my motion sickness meds!

Guardians I have heard spins you a lot so I think we'll miss that one.
Just wanted to comment on this. I hate spinning rides with a passion and was honestly nervous for guardians. BUT, after riding twice, I can honestly say that you don't really feel the spinning. In fact, it's much more of a rotation rather than a spin. It happens so fluidly as you bank around the turns that I honestly don't even think you'd notice. It's definitely a coaster that is worth trying once...not the most thrilling, but one of the funnest rides I've ever been on!

Just wanted to comment on this. I hate spinning rides with a passion and was honestly nervous for guardians. BUT, after riding twice, I can honestly say that you don't really feel the spinning. In fact, it's much more of a rotation rather than a spin. It happens so fluidly as you bank around the turns that I honestly don't even think you'd notice. It's definitely a coaster that is worth trying once...not the most thrilling, but one of the funnest rides I've ever been on!

Thanks, that's helpful. And seems, as ever, you just never know with rides. Given it is brand new and e-ticket worth a try, although depends on the lines.

We just got back last night. I had a chance to ride Guardians twice, and didn't get sick either time. The first time I felt a little "off" but only for maybe 20 minutes afterwards. The second time it was just a passing feeling that only lasted a few moments. Now, the Remy ride was another story. That one made me feel a bit queasy. The second time we rode I did not wear the 3d glasses and I closed my eyes during the sequence where Remy is running through the hallway. That helped tremendously.

We haven’t been for a while and it seems like ride technology has changed a lot! From what I can tell, a lot of the newer ones put you in a moving/jiggling situation while watching a screen. Are they similar to the Simpsons at Universal? My worst ride ever 🤢.

Which WDW ones are like that? I’m thinking I’ll be the “stay with the stuff” person for those! 😆

We haven’t been for a while and it seems like ride technology has changed a lot! From what I can tell, a lot of the newer ones put you in a moving/jiggling situation while watching a screen. Are they similar to the Simpsons at Universal? My worst ride ever 🤢.

Which WDW ones are like that? I’m thinking I’ll be the “stay with the stuff” person for those! 😆
Your question has been merged with a thread that has a lot of great information to help you.

The only new ride since this thread is Tron and guests may be able to share more of their experiences with that ride.

When was your last visit to WDW? Mission Space, so far, is the only ride that made me feel worse than Simpson.

It's so interesting how the answers vary from person to person, but it also makes it really difficult to predict what ride will impact someone.

I personally get a little car sick, especially if I try to read or look at my phone for too long in a car. When it comes to rides, I have zero issues riding FOP or Simpsons, but Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey knocks me down hard every time. The last time I rode EE, I felt woozy and a little nauseous, but it didn't last long, and I always get a headache on Space Mountain. I won't even ride it anymore.

Based on the above, I'm pretty sure my triggers are rides that move while simultaneously changing your focus from screen to screen or if speeding through darkness, where I have no focal point at all. If I can focus on a singular spot/screen, I do okay. (For this reason, I'm very concerned about both GOTG and TRON, but I am determined to try them both!

In short, I think it's about identifying what, specifically, triggers your own motion sickness.

2018. We were in DL Paris in 2019, DL 2020 and 2022. Remy was iffy 😆, don’t think I’ll do it again if it’s the same here!
I think the 3D glasses bother me the most. I must be wearing them wrong since I get tunnel vision along with vibrating scenes. 🥴

Hi All! I recently had the chance to go on Remy for the first time and was surprised that I started getting kind of queasy. I think as I get older (by which I mean, I'm not quite 40 yet!) I'm getting more easily motion sick, and I think this is particularly the case with screen-based rides. These seem to be getting more and more popular for new attractions. I see the appeal, but also wonder if this is the case with others. Do you find that you get more motion sick on screen-based rides like Avater, Remy, Smuggler's Run, Star Tours, etc.? What do you think are the most nauseating rides at Disney World?
YES! For Star Tours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter