• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Screen based rides and motion sickness?

miguelgar83

Earning My Ears
Hi All! I recently had the chance to go on Remy for the first time and was surprised that I started getting kind of queasy. I think as I get older (by which I mean, I'm not quite 40 yet!) I'm getting more easily motion sick, and I think this is particularly the case with screen-based rides. These seem to be getting more and more popular for new attractions. I see the appeal, but also wonder if this is the case with others. Do you find that you get more motion sick on screen-based rides like Avater, Remy, Smuggler's Run, Star Tours, etc.? What do you think are the most nauseating rides at Disney World?

Star Tours for sure....which is ironic considering how big of a SW fan I am. I usually have to shut my eyes as soon as it starts. No issues at all on FoP, MFSR, MMRR, or Soarin. very slight issues on Remy, and a bigger issue on Guardians. Love universal, but those screen rides are as bad as Star Tours, can't do them. Need to start wearing patches, or taking dramamine or something. Also, any coaster/ride going backwards is starting to really get to me....

I have never gotten motion sick on any ride at WDW (the one that got me was Forbidden Journey at Universal) but my mom got REALLY motion sick on Remy. She had zero issues on any of the other screen based rides but somehow Remy was the one to make her feel sick afterwards.

Yeah, screens are the worst for me. Remy wasn't too bad for me, but I do tend to close my eyes during parts. Actual roller coasters don't seem to be an issue at all for me. I have never done Star Tours because of all the horrendous reviews related to motion sickness.

Tea Cups kills me, but that is just the spinning.

I really want to try Guardians, but I'm rather sure I will be really sick.

Star Tours is the only ride that I will NEVER ride again. I can do FOP but once I rode it 3x in a row during a DIS party and I was nauseous during the 3rd time. I’m slightly concerned about Remy, Guardians and some Universal rides so I’m planning on buying some Bonine when we arrive in the USA as I found that it works well for me when we cruise and has less side effects than Gravol (🇨🇦).

Yeah, I don't like the med side effects, or taking medicine more generally if I can avoid it. I usually wear Blisslets, which are a new kind of anti-nausea band they're selling on DCL ships. Basically like stylish seabands, but they also come in sizes so you get a better fit. I need to wear them to be able to handle FOP. But I didn't have them on Remy because I didn't expect it to be a nauseating ride. Should have known better!

Can't ride Star Tours, Remy was o.k. for me, Soarin no problem, FoP makes me a little woozy and gives me a small headache. I can ride it but I usually don't bother. MF doesn't bother me at all. Haven't tried GoTG yet. I also can't ride EE because of the backward part, I can close my eyes and be o.k. but really if I have to close my eyes why bother, it also now gives me a headache.

I have a hard time with screen-based rides as well. I never used to. I remember going to WDW when I was in high school and I rode Star Tours back-to-back more times than I can count, and I loved it. We went to Universal several years ago and the first ride we went on was the Despicable Me ride and I was sick for the rest of the day. I tried going on ET after a few hours and even that bothered me. That same trip I think was my last time on Star Tours as well.
I love Soarin', but I do have to close my eyes at the scene transitions now. FoP I can ride, but my eyes are closed most of the time, until I feel it slowing down then I open my eyes for a few seconds to enjoy the view. The first time I rode it did not go well. I didn't watch any videos ahead of time and had no idea what to expect. I didn't feel well for a good hour.
I have a trip next month and I really wanted to try all the new stuff, so I watched them all on YouTube. Smugglers Run will be a big no, same with Cosmic Rewind. I got nauseous just watching that video. I do plan on riding Remy, but I have to try to remember one part that got me queasy.
I can handle some roller coasters. BTMRR & 7DMT I can handle, I just scream a lot. Space not so much, and Slinky Dog no (the bumps at the end get me). DD tells me I wouldn't be able to do RnRC and I believe her lol. But dag nabbit I will try Tron when it comes out.
And I can't do spinning rides. TSM can get me queasy now, when I used to be able to ride it several times in a row without issue, but I ride it anyway because it's one of my favorites.

This is one thing Universal did get right with some of their screen rides: they have the not moving seats in the front and they got rid of the 3d for quite a bunch.

My poor aunt cant experience certain things due to motion sickness- we know shed love ROTR but we question the track even though its the newer hover tech

I can't ride any of them; if it has a screen, I'm out. Also, spinning things get me. I have never been on the teacups of course, or Astro Orbiter! One of my biggest mistakes was riding the Barnstormer with DD when she was little; it ate me alive!

Motion sickness is a very individual thing. What affects one person might be just fine for another. I can't say I've noticed any issue with screen based vs actual experience but that's just me.

You won't know until you try it yourself.

I will never ride Mission Space again. The spinning plus the screen made me soooo sick. I also get sick on Star Tours, but since there really isn't any spinning or forward motion, I can close my eyes and I'm okay. Soarin' doesn't bother me, but I think that's because it's a big open room and more like watching a movie. Flight of Passage makes me sick, but again, like Star Tours, I can close my eyes because I'm not moving forward or spinning. I haven't experienced Cosmic Rewind yet, but I KNOW I will get sick. It has all the elements, combined -- forward motion, spinning, screens -- the whole shebang. I'm going to ride anyway, probably only once.

I can ride roller coasters and most other rides with no problem, as long as what I'm seeing matches what I'm feeling. It's simulator type stuff (and spinning) that I can't handle. I get motion sickness in the car if I'm not in the front seat and looking straight ahead. I can't look down, or out the side window, for more than a few seconds.

What I hate is, at least for me, it's hit or miss. Harry Potter ride first time in my life I experienced motion sickness. I was down for an hour. But FOP and Soaring felt bad for about 15-20 minutes. Remy no problem at all, go figure. I'm 60 and I do think it has to do with age. Just don't know how rides like these will effect me until I ride. Total crapshoot

Yep. The ones with the screen are the worst. Star Tours, Mission Space and MFSR were all one and done for me. I have only ridden FOP once and it made me queasy but it was worth it so I will try again. Haven’t tried Remy yet and I’m a little nervous. Soarin doesn’t bother me for some reason.

I hate anything screen based. I like the old boat rides and I’m a little bummed Disney is so into making thrill rides right now. I will never ever go on FOP again. I can handle Remy, Soarin, and the Star Wars rides if I close my eyes during the quick motion parts. I will never try GoTG. MMRR was actually OK for me. I do the Muppets show but don’t use the 3D glasses. I don’t like rollercoasters but can handle them if necessary for my kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter