"Scrapping" inside a photo album.

Merandab4

DIS Veteran
A while back, someone on the board mentioned that they made or were helping to make a scrapbook for their father. Instead of going through all the work to do an actual scrapbook, they were scrapping in a photo album. How does this work?
I want to try something similar, since there are occassions that I am not going to be able to commit to finishing a whole scrapbook and thought this may be a nice alternative.
I want to use th 4X6 pocket books, and not the magnetic albums. I'm sure using the full page magnetic albums would be easier, but at the suggestions of all you ladies on here, they are not photo friendly.

I was thinking about journaling on card stalk and putting it in the sleeves below each picture. Maybe not on each page, but on every couple of pages when my pictures change to a new subject.

I would still miss out on a lot of "traditional scrapping elements" but I would still be able to be a little creative with what would be an ordinary photo album.

Who has done this,,,suggestions, and any pics of finished albums?

I made one of these when I was in college for my then-boyfriend. I used a spiral photo album (one where you slip the pics in the sleeves). Each page had room for 2 pics (one on top, one on bottom) and between them a slip of paper that also slid out. The slip is traditionally used to write about the pics. I scrapbooked on some of the papers where a picture was supposed to go (for a bigger "thing") and on all of the little slips. came out really cute! Regretfully, I have No pictures of it. good luck!

there was an article on this in one of the simple scrapbook magazines. it was called scrap pictures in a weekend. it was really cool.

just like johnsprincess said, in place of where one of the pictures would go, journal on that piece of cardstock or you can make a tag and slip it in where the picture would go. you can still embellish the stuff the same, it is just on a smaller, faster scale.

good luck...and you might be able to buy a back issue of the magazine from an lss, or maybe even their website.

karen

onedisneylover said:
there was an article on this in one of the simple scrapbook magazines. it was called scrap pictures in a weekend. it was really cool.

just like johnsprincess said, in place of where one of the pictures would go, journal on that piece of cardstock or you can make a tag and slip it in where the picture would go. you can still embellish the stuff the same, it is just on a smaller, faster scale.

good luck...and you might be able to buy a back issue of the magazine from an lss, or maybe even their website.

karen

Karen, Was that the actual name of the magazine "simple scrapbook"?
I'd like to take a look at that.

I know this is odd, but I found a really cool photo album this week at TJ Max.. (it's perfect for my trip to Hawaii), I don't even have the trip plan, nor do I know when I will go, but it is something that my family has been talking about for a while now. So, I bought this album for a future trip! Anyone else ever buy albums "just in case"?

OOH! I am excited to read this...I always thought that was I was doing was cheating and not actually "scrapbooking" I love the embellishments, buttons, doo dads, (you get the idea..) but not the time of cutting, cropping and turning tons of great pictures into a page or two (I'm just not that creative!!)

I am a computer dunce, I will ask my hubby to see if he can help me post a pic of a page.

I am a computer dunce, I will ask my hubby to see if he can help me post a pic of a page.

found this when I did a search....because this is what I'm thinking about for our trip. I remember that article in SS a few years ago, but I couldn't find it...

I got a really cute spiral album with 'mickey parts' and since we took over 1000 photos, I'm thinking of just doing this. (And my 2005 WDW album is still not done, LOL).
I was thinking that I could still use some embellishments that I have, and maybe even replace the spiral with ribbon, like in some CJ's.

Anyone done one of these and have pics to share?

I was at Archivers today and they had something similar to what you all are talking about.

It was a photo album with four pictures per page--image a 2 x 2 grid. Between the two "columns" was a small vertical piece for a piece of paper to fit.

Some of the pages had just pictures, some had "titles" or journals in one pocket--so that page had 3 pictures and one writing/title spot. There was paper with writing in the vertical pieces on all pages. Some of the pictures had additional embellishments--writing, flowers, stickers, etc.

You could use both sides of the sheet.

I wish I had a picture to show. I will try to make a sketch or two and upload it to shutterfly account and maybe someone can upload it to this thread.

I think you could do this with the old magnetic style albums, too. You could go through and add journaling and embellishments, get rid of bad or unneeded pictures (if there is such a thing)or trim them down.

Creative Memories actually have albums to do this, they are called PicFolios, and you can see them on their website.

I will actually use that method for my wedding pictures... I am using some cardstock cut in a 4x6 format that I will embellish as a "guest book". That way, I will be able to put our friends and family's signatures where they can be seen often!

I was actually looking for ideas to embellish my "guest mats", and I found a couple of CropTalks on ebay that are on that subject. I haven't received them yet, but I can post a couple of ideas when I get them if you want.

oh, very cool! Thanks to both of you, ksjayhawks and Lanie!!

I need something that won't take me 2+ years to finish! :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Wait, As long as the dodads are semi flat, you can use them. I use the 3d ones you just need to be careful how many you use or you get umm.... Puffy pages and a album that wont shut.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who wants to start doing these types of albums. I love to scrapbook, but never have the time anymore. I have shelves full of scrapbook stuff that never gets used.

Some albums actually have a page for the photos and underneath about 5 or 6 lines for journaling!

What I have done was cut a photo to just what i wanted to include (,aking sure it was smaller than the page) and then putting it on card stock and then still using button and paperclip and such embellishments. I then slid it into the album and journaled underneat on the given space :) It was a perfect and QuICK gift to make and give :)

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who wants to start doing these types of albums. I love to scrapbook, but never have the time anymore. I have shelves full of scrapbook stuff that never gets used.

I just picked up almost 400 pics that I had printed...(and I will print a ton more once I get my photopass cd...!) and honestly, I was SO relieved that I am not doing 'regular' scrapbooking on this. I may just get them in the album....
and since my 2005 trip is not completely done, then at least this trip will be more 'complete' even if it isn't super fancy! I still get so upset with myself for not finishing the other trip...just can't make myself sit down and do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter