(Scout) Camping

Hi - my son is a Boy Scout and loves the idea of proposing a trip to his troop. They would want to tent camp. I tried pricing it out with random dates but the tent sites were never available. Is that typical? If not roughly how much does it cost to rent a tent site?

Separately the description says a concrete pad plus up to 2 tents. The boys all use individual tents, and at most they might rent 1 small camper. Does that mean they’d need to rent a lot of pads, or can they put more (small) tents in if they don’t use the concrete part?

I know that the Girl Scouts go to Florida sometimes (I’m my daughter’s leader), but I have never seen anything about Boy Scouts. If Ft Wilderness isn’t the right option for them, is there somewhere else they might consider? I suggested that they consider one of the cheaper Disney hotels but my son said the kids would all want individual beds.

Thanks!

Not sure about the current situation but I think it was closed last fall because it needed some storm repairs. There was a large youth or scout group staying in two sites in the 1500 loop in October and no one in the group area.

FW reservations can be wonky for normal sites, it may be worth it to call about the group sites.

What dates were you attempting to get? The tent sites are popular on weekends in the nice weather times (fall/spring) on their own then add in holiday times (spring break, Easter, Halloween, etc.) during those seasons which makes weekends harder to get than weekdays. I bring a popup to the Fort and can book a Tent site for it so I am familiar with the pattern. Rates for tent sites vary but aren't cheap. Rates start at almost $100 and there can be a significant up charge for a Friday or Saturday night ($20-40 more).

Disney doesn't police the number of tents - just another rule that is not enforced. Tent sites have a short driveway but a gravel tent pad and I've seen pitched tent off the pad on the grass off to the side too.

Creekside Meadow is the group camping area next to loop 2000.

c3MtbWFwLTEuanBn

"Groups" are generally considered to be 20 people or more. I camped there with my troop back in the day. And I've camped in 2000 when groups were in CM and other groups who couldn't book it were put into 2000 as "overflow". 1500 is used for overflow as well. Anyway, CM has its own bus stop, comfort station and four separate areas designated by colored flags which I think of as patrol areas for example (each with a fire pit). And as the drawing above indicates, there is a shortcut bridge across a drainage ditch from CM to loop 900 for quicker access to the pool and movie/singalong area. The charge to camp is per person per night for a group (don't know the current rate).

My advice would be to try to attempt to contact the Fort or Disney to book Creekside Meadow as a group for your desired dates and if it is not available, ask if you can overflow into 2000 or 1500 at the group rates. You can have up to 10 people per campsite.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Bama Ed

PS - I believe it is primitive camping at CM meaning no power at the patrol sites but don't know details about that nor water although like I said, the Comfort Station is right there. So you might want to ask about utilities available in the tent area of CM.

PPS - here is a pic of a tent site in loop 1500 (Tent categories are loops 1500 and 2000)

Other site categories are Premium and Premium Meadow (all pavement no gravel), Full and Preferred (longer driveway generally but have gravel pad).

PPPS - also as an alternative, Lake Louisa State Park is 30 minutes from Disney south of Clermont on Hwy 27. I stay there usually one night before I check into the Fort the next morning. They have nice campsites and they're cheap. Don't know about their group policy but I'm sure they handle Scout groups for activities. My one word of warning is their two comfort stations in the campground, while nice, are not air conditioned. But has boating, hiking trails, and fishing opportunities there for days not at the parks. Finally, there is a KOA in Kissimmee east of I-4 off Hwy 192.

Last edited:
Thank you! This is so helpful.

At this point my son is just curious about options/pricing. It might make sense to try to go next year over Jersey Week (early November). Spring break is going to be very expensive. Then again they are already going away for Spring Break ’24 and they will go to Philmont in ’25, so maybe he’ll propose this for ’26.

Thank you! This is so helpful.

At this point my son is just curious about options/pricing. It might make sense to try to go next year over Jersey Week (early November). Spring break is going to be very expensive. Then again they are already going away for Spring Break ’24 and they will go to Philmont in ’25, so maybe he’ll propose this for ’26.

If you are interested in 2024 dates, you can call now and try to book those or get overflow sites info NOW for November 2024. Check the cancellation policy for whatever you can book but better to book now and not need it rather than to want it and not be able to get it.

Spring break is very expensive for sure.

If it's a 2026 proposal (3 years from now), that's half the age group (11-18yo) in BSA aging out so no kids 14yo or thereabouts will care what is proposed.

Very familiar with Philmont plans. Went as a boy, went as an adult leader, went as a seasonal summer staffer. Don't have 100 nights in the backcountry yet but close.

I would propose you get as much info as you can now in 2023 (submit that for consideration whenever) for a trip ASAP and not put off data gathering till 2026.

Bin there as a BSA, dun that as a BSA. Old guy as a BSA giving life advice.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter