scotland question

Rapunzellover

DIS Veteran
Does anyone who has been on the Scotland ABD know how close the Balmoral hotel is to St. Giles Cathedral? Curious for planning. It seems close via Map.

Thanks. What about Edinburgh Castle? I have tixs to the tattoo on my post night.
It's probably another 10 minutes from St. Giles' up to the entrance to Edinburgh Castle. So 20 minutes-ish from the Balmoral.

So jealous you get to see the tattoo! :thumbsup2 It had already finished for the year when I was there.

Sayhello

I splurged on royal box seats with dinner. I'm still struggling with what to wear. I'm hoping you or someone else can help.

I splurged on royal box seats with dinner. I'm still struggling with what to wear. I'm hoping you or someone else can help.
When she has some time from her Ireland/Danube trip, I'm sure @calypso726 can let you know. I'm pretty sure she bought the same package when she did the tattoo.

Sayhello

I can't comment on what to wear since we just bought regular tickets to the tattoo, but the tattoo itself is fabulous. Definitely a highlight (albeit one of many) of our 2013 Scotland ABD.

I recall being told to wear smart casual. However, everyone seemed a little bit more dressed up than that. Most men had a jacket. We dressed like we would for dinner at Victoria & Albert's at WDW or Remy on DCL. Have fun!

I am in Scotland now. We were in Edinburgh Tuesday & Wednesday , Dundee Thursday Friday & to day .

We did the " Hop on Hop off " bus trip in Edinburgh . ..... Best way to see the sights in the rain.

We walked into the forecourt of Edinburgh Castle ... where the tattoo takes place ... during the 1st 3 weeks of

August each year . ( Did you know that it takes 47 days to erect the seating area & 37 days to take it down again )

The red seats ..... I suppose the royal seat end is over the entrance & facing the Castle & underneath the TV camera)

There are a lot of steep climbs in Edinburgh & crowds . & many Tour Groups .

As we have a car (& used the local bus ) we have seen a lot of Edinburgh & Dundee .... drove via the coast to

Aberdeen this afternoon . Off to Balmoral Castle area & staying near Lough Ness tomorrow Sunday

We did too and I guess I am planning on wearing a nice dress. But the thought of dress shoes is killing me.

I am in Scotland now. We were in Edinburgh Tuesday & Wednesday , Dundee Thursday Friday & to day .

We did the " Hop on Hop off " bus trip in Edinburgh . ..... Best way to see the sights in the rain.

We walked into the forecourt of Edinburgh Castle ... where the tattoo takes place ... during the 1st 3 weeks of

August each year . ( Did you know that it takes 47 days to erect the seating area & 37 days to take it down again )

The red seats ..... I suppose the royal seat end is over the entrance & facing the Castle & underneath the TV camera)

There are a lot of steep climbs in Edinburgh & crowds . & many Tour Groups .

As we have a car (& used the local bus ) we have seen a lot of Edinburgh & Dundee .... drove via the coast to

Aberdeen this afternoon . Off to Balmoral Castle area & staying near Lough Ness tomorrow Sunday
Too funny--we arrived in Edinburgh last night after our ABD Greece. Maybe we crossed paths around town today and didn't even know it :)

We were in Edinburgh July 1st and 3rd, left on the 4th. Sounds like there have been a few dis-ers in the area I could've run into. Guess great minds and all that...

I recall being told to wear smart casual. However, everyone seemed a little bit more dressed up than that. Most men had a jacket. We dressed like we would for dinner at Victoria & Albert's at WDW or Remy on DCL. Have fun!

Never been to either of these. Are you talking formal wear?

Never been to either of these. Are you talking formal wear?

I did see some folks in formal wear but that seemed to be military dignitaries' plus ones. I saw some in business casual or a step above. I did not see anyone in jeans and t shirts that I can remember for the Queen Anne's room VIP package. The other dining packages were probably not as dressy as this one was. If I went back again today I'd probably pack a non iron dress shirt for DH, wrinkle free slacks and comfortable shoes that can pass for dress shoes. For myself, I'd pack an outfit from the Chico's traveler collection which is like Garanimals for adult women. I am currently employing this strategy on the ABD Danube river cruise and probably will for all future travel where I may need to go beyond jeans, t shirt and sneakers which is what I normally wear. I'd include some accessories and cute flats to dress it up and call it a day.

Just remember .... you are in a Raised Stand ( Bleachers ) And High Up ... in the open So the wind will be blowing upwards & through the seating area.

Wear slacks ..

I don't know about the other VIP packages and their specific details. But, the one we did, Queen Anne's room dinner package, has their guests seated under cover which is nice in case it rains. However, like Woodview mentioned it is high in the stands. Our package also included large blankets To use during the performance. That came in very handy for this Floridian!

The Queen Anne package was not available the day I wanted. So I'm doing the Amber Package. A blanket will be good, but I'll also bring a jacket.

The Queen Anne package was not available the day I wanted. So I'm doing the Amber Package. A blanket will be good, but I'll also bring a jacket.

Ah, I see. I don't remember what did or didn't come with the other packages or what the dress code might have been. I only asked about the Queen Anne one. I'm sure you will enjoy the show. I would go see it every year if I could!

Last edited:
We are staying 2 extra days at the end of our trip, and our trip starts Aug 3, I think. We leave USA on Aug 2 to get there. We are doing the dinner package, pricey but once in a lifetime deal. I read that there are a lot of cobble stones, so I am wearing my dress Tom's with either a dress or a dressy pants thing. I am thinking it is going to be cold, after watching the British Open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter