• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scooters used 10/31 - 11/7

bbowers

Dog Mommy
DH pinched his sciatic nerve in April and is still on pain medication and walks with a cane, so we rented a scooter for this trip.

Our first scooter was from Randy's and it stopped in US until DH fiddled with the speed knob for a while. We called Randy's and they said they were all out until Monday. It worked fine on Saturday, then completely died outside Roaring Forks on Sunday AM. We called them and got some attitude from whoever answered, and left it there and went to the park. We got there early enough to be able to rent a scooter there, and got a call from Randy's about an hour or so later wanting to give us another scooter (not sure where it would have come from). We declined and DH explained about Mr Attitude he had talked to earlier.

On Monday we rented one for the last 3 days of our trip from Lifeaire Medical, which had a display at WL. They had one ready for us at 7 AM and we dropped it off at the bell services at AKL when we were done. It was more expensive than Randy's, and you could rarely get ahold of a real person - you mostly got an answering machine. If we would have had problems with this one, that would not have been a good thing. We are still waiting for the deposit credit to come through.

On a great note, though - Randy's credited us the entire charge, even though we did have one good day on their scooter. And that was without asking. I thought that was very customer-service oriented.

If we need to do this again, I'll try Walker and see how that goes.

Glad to hear you had a good time despite some problems.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but glad you solved them so you could continue to enjoy your trip.

I rented from Walker in September, also first time using a scooter. I was a little disappointed in how tatty the scooter looked, and the seat leant to one side a bit, but it did keep on going - even in the middle of a thunderstorm!

I did notice some flash red scooters in MK, I think they were from Care Medical, as the stickers had 'Care' on them. They also had a cloth seat which would have been more comfortable than sitting on a towel on the plastic seat on my scooter. Anyone used Care Medical? How did you find it?

used to use Care but had problems with them in August when my personal power wheelchair broke down and I needed a replacement. Called Walker and they were there within 2 hours with an ECV for me and it had even been adjustd to my short stature.

So sorry to hear about your problems with Randy's. I was also at WL from 11-2 to 11-4. I had foot surgery last month and am still in a hard cast and unable to put any pressure on my foot. I rented a scooter from Randy's. Jerry, the delivery guy, was very very nice and explained everything. My scooter was new, just out of the box. I guess I got the luck of the draw.:rolleyes: I did have a couple times when the scooter appeared to be "dead". All I did was turn the key on and off and it seemed to fix it.

I used Care Medical last December and will again next month. Last year was my first experience renting an ECV. They were very pleasant on the phone and the Greta put me down for a red one because that's my favorite color. (Come to find out most of their rentals are red but that was still a sweet thing to suggest.) The ECV was waiting for me at the bellman's area in the Dolphin when we arrived.

The ECV itself was, of course red, in new condition, a basket on the front and the cloth seats are very comfortable. No problems at all with power managment and stupid as this sounds it made me feel better to using a shiny red chariot vs. a beat up one. I nicknamed him "Zip" for Zip a dee doo da.

Anyone know if there has ever been a poll about which offsite ECV company people prefer to use? Sounds like people have had both good and bad experiences with each company (naturally) and I'm curious about which would "win."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter