• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scooters in the rain?

I see it’s going to rain during my trip and I’m renting a scooter is it ok the ride in the rain?

You *can* ride in the rain, but alway follow your vendor’s recommendations. Most rental ECVs will come with a “shower cap” that fits over the controls to protect the electronics. Be sure to use it, and if you lose it, ask at your hotel for a shower cap - they usually have one to give you.

Def want to have a poncho, to cover you and as much of the scooter as possible; I do that by sitting on the scooter, and put the back of the poncho over the seat back (so it drapes down the back of the seat behind the scooter) and then pull the front of the poncho over the controls, and drape it down the front side of the controls/steering on the front end of the ECV. That covers the majority of you and the scooter with one poncho.

If the seat folds down, be sure to fold it when you park the scooter to help keep the seat bottom dry if possible. You can also drape your poncho over the seat and controls when you leave it - might want to bring a few clothes pins from home to help keep it from blowing off.

But again - can’t stress this enough - speak with your rental vendor about their policies and recommendations. They always have the last word.

This is for ECV and wheelchair users (manual and power)
To add to what mammabunny wrote, also keep in mind
- puddles are likely deeper than they look
- not as much a problem for ECV users, but wheelchair users may get their feet splashed from underneath when going thru puddles
- the layer of water under your wheels may cause your mobility device to skid, especially when going downhill or turning
- water on the pavement can lead to loss of traction when trying to stop or slow

Someone here suggested clear garbage bags to put over the tiller. I have found that very useful.

I also carry a small hand towel in a zip lock baggie to dry any drips that may collect on the scooter.

You *can* ride in the rain, but alway follow your vendor’s recommendations. Most rental ECVs will come with a “shower cap” that fits over the controls to protect the electronics. Be sure to use it, and if you lose it, ask at your hotel for a shower cap - they usually have one to give you
or a small bag from a store. Ask cashier, they'll usually give you one without a purchase.

You *can* ride in the rain, but alway follow your vendor’s recommendations. Most rental ECVs will come with a “shower cap” that fits over the controls to protect the electronics. Be sure to use it, and if you lose it, ask at your hotel for a shower cap - they usually have one to give you.

Def want to have a poncho, to cover you and as much of the scooter as possible; I do that by sitting on the scooter, and put the back of the poncho over the seat back (so it drapes down the back of the seat behind the scooter) and then pull the front of the poncho over the controls, and drape it down the front side of the controls/steering on the front end of the ECV. That covers the majority of you and the scooter with one poncho.

If the seat folds down, be sure to fold it when you park the scooter to help keep the seat bottom dry if possible. You can also drape your poncho over the seat and controls when you leave it - might want to bring a few clothes pins from home to help keep it from blowing off.

But again - can’t stress this enough - speak with your rental vendor about their policies and recommendations. They always have the last word.
That’s exactly what I did when I used to rent an ECV and after I bought my own. 👍

Here is what Gold says:
Gold Mobility scooters are only water "resistant". But this is Florida. It rains sideways. A lot. But usually for very short bursts. Should it begin to rain (and say you’re at one of the parks) it is VERY HIGHLY recommended that you seek a covered area immediately. In a worst case scenario, try to keep the “dashboard” (where the key goes in) covered. The scooter’s electronic components will malfunction if they are exposed to rain and a safety shut down mode will prevent operation until ALL of the components dry out.

Here is what Gold says:
Gold Mobility scooters are only water "resistant". But this is Florida. It rains sideways. A lot. But usually for very short bursts. Should it begin to rain (and say you’re at one of the parks) it is VERY HIGHLY recommended that you seek a covered area immediately. In a worst case scenario, try to keep the “dashboard” (where the key goes in) covered. The scooter’s electronic components will malfunction if they are exposed to rain and a safety shut down mode will prevent operation until ALL of the components dry out.
I’m glad you brought up the term water “resistant”. Even the MagShock and Falcon are not “waterproof”. They are water “resistant”. If caught in a downpour, the person needs to get under cover ASAP and then wipe it down with a towel. I always carry a towel with me for these situations.

I’m glad you brought up the term water “resistant”. Even the MagShock and Falcon are not “waterproof”. They are water “resistant”. If caught in a downpour, the person needs to get under cover ASAP and then wipe it down with a towel. I always carry a towel with me for these situations.
Agree
« water resistant« is the important term.
I don’t think any power mobility devices are actually « waterproof ». Even, the expensive custom power wheelchairs used by people who can’t move without them are not totally waterproof.
The manual for my daughter’s Permobil power wheelchair says:
Driving in extreme weather conditions
Our wheelchairs are designed to withstand most adverse weather conditions, however to minimize the risk of being caught in difficult situations, you should avoid using the wheelchair outdoors in e.g. severe cold, heavy rain or thick snow….
Protect the wheelchair from exposure to any type of moisture, including rain, snow, mud or spray. Exposure to moisture may cause the chair to short-circuit, catch fire and cause personal injury or property damage. If it has been exposed to moisture, do not operate your wheelchair until it has dried completely.
If any of the shrouds or the joystick boot has cracks or tears, they must be replaced immediately. Failure to do so may allow moisture to enter the electronics and cause personal injury or property damage, including fire.

They do sell specially-designed scooter ponchos on Amazon.View attachment 717328
I bought that one exactly but no way does it come down on the sides like that. It is long enough to go front to back but not even that long. The sides might be good enough to keep your shirt dry. He'll have to wear a poncho under the poncho. And I was worry about DH tripping on it. LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter