Scooter/Wheelchair Advice

Thank you for the great description! So helpful in understanding this chair a little more (the website was not helpful at all) and it’s great to have first-hand info from someone who actually uses the product! I show it to my mom and see what she has to say.

One more question… have you ever flown with yours?

I'm really glad the info might prove helpful; I know all too well what it's like to try and do your due diligence when it comes to vetting a new-to-you mobility device!

I actually have not flown with my Zoomer.

Having said that, I *have* flown with other mobility devices, and the main takeaways I have from that experience are that you want to gate check the device (never check it at the ticket counter with your luggage) and when you get to the aircraft door, be ready to take everything *off* of the device that you cannot secure (including the battery & joystick) and place it into a bag, and you want to secure the device itself (in this case hold it folded together) as best as you can. Here's why:

When your device gets put into the gate-check hold, even if the crew lifts it in with soft suede gloves, and whistles a lullaby.... the reality is that right after that, they are going to throw a duffel bag in there followed by a roller bag and any number of other carry-on bags that need to be gate-checked - and possibly another mobility device or stroller... Some airlines will have a crew member in the hold accepting the gate-checked items and trying to load them as quickly and efficiently as possible, but at some point they will have to exit the hold, and the last items will (literally) be thrown in prior to closing the hold, and the flight leaving the gate. During takeoff, landing and while in flight, contents can - and do - shift, and that's more opportunities for damage to occur. I'm telling you all of this so you can visualize and understand why damage can happen in the gate-check hold. (or any luggage hold, for that matter)

Some devices can't be folded and velcro'd together; if you ever fly with one of those, you have to just take everything you can off the device, and secure everything you can't.

If your device is well-secured (bound together tightly if possible with something like Velcro OneWrap, ideally in a few places) then the chances of damage are lessened; you have made it as "solid" as possible. Not mitigated completely, but lessened. By removing the things that you can't really secure well and carrying them with you on to the plane, you know for sure that the battery didn't become dislodged or the joystick snapped off.

With a device like the Zoomer, I would stop outside the aircraft door, turn it off, remove the battery, remove the joystick and then fold the entire chair. (some folks leave the wheels "locked"; others like to leave them "unlocked"; since the device is so comparatively light, I'm not sure it would matter) While it is less likely that the Zoomer might accidentally open (because of the cable required to lock/unlock) by keeping it tightly bound together, it still helps reduce the possibility of damage to the frame and/or seat. So, Velcro OneWrap around the frame in a few places and then pop the battery and joystick into a backpack or tote bag. Once you have prepared the chair to be carried down to the hold, you will enter the aircraft and find your seat.

Side note: Always call your airline before booking seats, and ask them what you will need to do at the gate. Some airlines will specifically ask you to remove the battery(s) and stow them in the cabin with the aid of a flight attendant. Other airlines will say that your battery does not need to be removed from the device; I always remove it because batteries tend to be expensive, and in the case of the Zoomer, they are quite "exposed" due to the position of the battery in the frame. It's also just one less thing to worry about. I always remove joysticks where/when I can (even prior to car travel).

Oh - be sure to approach the gate crew when they start working the flight; let them know you will need to gate check the chair. Typically, this is when they will go ahead and give you the gate check tag for the device, and tell you what group to listen for when boarding calls are made.

At the conclusion of your flight, you will do everything in reverse. Typically, I wait in my seat until the plane is nearly empty, or until a flight attendant lets me know that my device has returned to the jetway outside the aircraft door. Once the device is there, I would do a quick visual check for possible damage, remove the Velcro, install the joystick and then the battery, "lock" the wheels for operation, take a seat and turn the device on. At that point, you will either leave the terminal for your destination, or you will head to your next flight if this is your layover. DISCLAIMER: if you have a layover, you will need to do the whole procedure for each leg of your journey. You should also make sure your layover is sufficient to accommodate the extra time you will wait for your device to come back to the aircraft door from the hold. I generally add at least 30 minutes to wait for the device to come up from the hold and be returned to service. Sometimes it's less - but a few times it has been closer to 45 minutes!

:::whew!::: That's it...! 😂 Easy-peasy lemon squeezy!

Don't hesitate if you have any questions; I tried to be thorough, but I may have missed something 🙂

I'm really glad the info might prove helpful; I know all too well what it's like to try and do your due diligence when it comes to vetting a new-to-you mobility device!

Having said that, I *have* flown with other mobility devices, and the main takeaways I have from that experience are that you want to gate check the device (never check it at the ticket counter with your luggage) and when you get to the aircraft door, be ready to take everything *off* of the device that you cannot secure (including the battery & joystick) and place it into a bag, and you want to secure the device itself (in this case hold it folded together) as best as you can. Here's why:

When your device gets put into the gate-check hold, even if the crew lifts it in with soft suede gloves, and whistles a lullaby.... the reality is that right after that, they are going to throw a duffel bag in there followed by a roller bag and any number of other carry-on bags that need to be gate-checked - and possibly another mobility device or stroller... Some airlines will have a crew member in the hold accepting the gate-checked items and trying to load them as quickly and efficiently as possible, but at some point they will have to exit the hold, and the last items will (literally) be thrown in prior to closing the hold, and the flight leaving the gate. During takeoff, landing and while in flight, contents can - and do - shift, and that's more opportunities for damage to occur. I'm telling you all of this so you can visualize and understand why damage can happen in the gate-check hold. (or any luggage hold, for that matter)

Some devices can't be folded and velcro'd together; if you ever fly with one of those, you have to just take everything you can off the device, and secure everything you can't.

If your device is well-secured (bound together tightly if possible with something like Velcro OneWrap, ideally in a few places) then the chances of damage are lessened; you have made it as "solid" as possible. Not mitigated completely, but lessened. By removing the things that you can't really secure well and carrying them with you on to the plane, you know for sure that the battery didn't become dislodged or the joystick snapped off.

With a device like the Zoomer, I would stop outside the aircraft door, turn it off, remove the battery, remove the joystick and then fold the entire chair. (some folks leave the wheels "locked"; others like to leave them "unlocked"; since the device is so comparatively light, I'm not sure it would matter) While it is less likely that the Zoomer might accidentally open (because of the cable required to lock/unlock) by keeping it tightly bound together, it still helps reduce the possibility of damage to the frame and/or seat. So, Velcro OneWrap around the frame in a few places and then pop the battery and joystick into a backpack or tote bag. Once you have prepared the chair to be carried down to the hold, you will enter the aircraft and find your seat.

Side note: Always call your airline before booking seats, and ask them what you will need to do at the gate. Some airlines will specifically ask you to remove the battery(s) and stow them in the cabin with the aid of a flight attendant. Other airlines will say that your battery does not need to be removed from the device; I always remove it because batteries tend to be expensive, and in the case of the Zoomer, they are quite "exposed" due to the position of the battery in the frame. It's also just one less thing to worry about. I always remove joysticks where/when I can (even prior to car travel).

Oh - be sure to approach the gate crew when they start working the flight; let them know you will need to gate check the chair. Typically, this is when they will go ahead and give you the gate check tag for the device, and tell you what group to listen for when boarding calls are made.

At the conclusion of your flight, you will do everything in reverse. Typically, I wait in my seat until the plane is nearly empty, or until a flight attendant lets me know that my device has returned to the jetway outside the aircraft door. Once the device is there, I would do a quick visual check for possible damage, remove the Velcro, install the joystick and then the battery, "lock" the wheels for operation, take a seat and turn the device on. At that point, you will either leave the terminal for your destination, or you will head to your next flight if this is your layover. DISCLAIMER: if you have a layover, you will need to do the whole procedure for each leg of your journey. You should also make sure your layover is sufficient to accommodate the extra time you will wait for your device to come back to the aircraft door from the hold. I generally add at least 30 minutes to wait for the device to come up from the hold and be returned to service. Sometimes it's less - but a few times it has been closer to 45 minutes!

Don't hesitate if you have any questions; I tried to be thorough, but I may have missed something 🙂

This is helpful. I was about to throw it into gate check like I would a stroller, we never bagged that. Then again, I’ve never owned a stroller that was worth $3000…

This is helpful. I was about to throw it into gate check like I would a stroller, we never bagged that. Then again, I’ve never owned a stroller that was worth $3000…

Yep. Consider practicing a few times before your trip, while you are at home; creating that muscle memory will help you stay focused and calm while preparing the chair at the bottom of the jetway, outside the aircraft, or putting it back together at the end of the flight!

Also remember that if your device does get damaged in flight, keep your cool, take good photos (and video if it’s operational, like a wheel that permanently points off in a weird direction) and contact the airline ASAP so you can get your claim going. Remember that the folks you will be working with are not the ones who touched your device; they are there to help you get the claim filed and through the system. And ask the airline to cover the cost for a rental device (easiest will be a scooter, not the same, I know). Fingers crossed that you never need to use any info contained in this paragraph!

Have a great trip! 🙂

Thank you SO much! Even though I have plenty of practice measuring and ordering custom wheelchairs, I’ve never flown with one before! My OT/PT supervisor has a DH with ALS and uses a very complicated power chair. I just remember some of the horror stories she had breaking that chair down and then having the airlines damage the chair!

I think if we get one for my mom, I’ll look into getting a padded travel bag to help protect it. You’ve been soooo helpful with this!

Thank you SO much! Even though I have plenty of practice measuring and ordering custom wheelchairs, I’ve never flown with one before! My OT/PT supervisor has a DH with ALS and uses a very complicated power chair. I just remember some of the horror stories she had breaking that chair down and then having the airlines damage the chair!

I think if we get one for my mom, I’ll look into getting a padded travel bag to help protect it. You’ve been soooo helpful with this!

I'm so sorry to hear that their chair was damaged. It's a very real concern for anyone who flies with mobility equipment; I have learned that all I can do is try to mitigate damage ahead of time, and pray like a Saturday night sinner on Sunday morning that there's no damage on the other end of the flight! Obviously, a device that folds in half - in either direction - offers a bit more protection to itself.

Oh - and there are some of the stroller bags that might fit the Zoomer when it's folded. If you find a good bag, I would love it if you don't mine sharing! 🙂

I'm so sorry to hear that their chair was damaged. It's a very real concern for anyone who flies with mobility equipment; I have learned that all I can do is try to mitigate damage ahead of time, and pray like a Saturday night sinner on Sunday morning that there's no damage on the other end of the flight! Obviously, a device that folds in half - in either direction - offers a bit more protection to itself.

Oh - and there are some of the stroller bags that might fit the Zoomer when it's folded. If you find a good bag, I would love it if you don't mine sharing! 🙂
I have flown only twice with my $9,000.00 foldable, heavy duty power wheel chair. Airline approved. All terrain. Folded in its heavy duty, padded official travel bag 🦼

It was damaged beyond repair both times. The airline did replace it each time, after an insurance claim. But it took a couple of weeks for the wheelchair to be customized by the manufacturer, time in which I had to make do with a standard “loaner” device

My advice to you is take lots of photos of your chair at the airport when you check in. The airline will inspect your chair and put a gate check tag on it. Make sure you agree with what is written about the condition of the device on the tag.

The airlines seem to be quite aware of this problem. On both occasions, numerous employees remarked on how often this happens.

The pilot came out onto the jetway the last time to see what the problem was and remarked how he sees this on a number of his flights. He also said he was going to contact his union rep again about the wheelchair damage problem. Nothing they can do about it, but I appreciated the sentiment anyway.

The employee in the claims office said I was their third damaged wheelchair claim that day and it was only 1:00pm.

I guess the only good news was that everyone behaved in a compassionate manner, but that may have been because I was crying 😢

Just make sure you have a backup plan in case your equipment is damaged in transit.

Keep your receipt in a safe place and take lots of pictures of your device. If they note any damage on the written tag, take a photo of the tag and noted damaged in the same photo.

I hope you have better luck in your travels

I have flown only twice with my $9,000.00 foldable, heavy duty power wheel chair. Airline approved. All terrain. Folded in its heavy duty, padded official travel bag 🦼

It was damaged beyond repair both times. The airline did replace it each time, after an insurance claim. But it took a couple of weeks for the wheelchair to be customized by the manufacturer, time in which I had to make do with a standard “loaner” device

My advice to you is take lots of photos of your chair at the airport when you check in. The airline will inspect your chair and put a gate check tag on it. Make sure you agree with what is written about the condition of the device on the tag.

The airlines seem to be quite aware of this problem. On both occasions, numerous employees remarked on how often this happens.

The pilot came out onto the jetway the last time to see what the problem was and remarked how he sees this on a number of his flights. He also said he was going to contact his union rep again about the wheelchair damage problem. Nothing they can do about it, but I appreciated the sentiment anyway.

The employee in the claims office said I was their third damaged wheelchair claim that day and it was only 1:00pm.

I guess the only good news was that everyone behaved in a compassionate manner, but that may have been because I was crying 😢

Just make sure you have a backup plan in case your equipment is damaged in transit.

Keep your receipt in a safe place and take lots of pictures of your device. If they note any damage on the written tag, take a photo of the tag and noted damaged in the same photo.

I hope you have better luck in your travels

I am so very sorry to hear that it happened not once, but twice.

I have been very fortunate; I think in part because all of my devices can be folded into very compact, very tight shapes, and they are lightweight (because I need them to be, so I can handle them on my own if needed).

Our family has discussed talking to a company like Owner’s Locker in Orlando, to see about having them store a duplicate device there, and just have it delivered to the hotel when we arrive. Of course, that’s only helpful if the only place you ever fly is… Orlando.

I believe it’s really important that we all keep a spotlight on issues like yours. We need to make sure that *all* airlines take steps to treat our mobility devices with the respect and care that is minimally required to prevent damage. No one should have to see their device come back to the gate damaged; to have it happen twice should be unthinkable. And to have to use a loaner device that is not sufficient for your need - while better than nothing - is still adding insult to injury.

Thank you for sharing your story; it’s important. I’m genuinely sorry you have had to experience this, and then go through it again.

For our Disney trips we purchased a foldable mobility scooter for my daughter a few years ago. We opted for one called Atto (I have no affliction with the company) as it's more modern looking(think Apple like) and folds up and transports pretty easily. One thing I recommend regardless of what you have is call your airline prior to the flight and let them know you'll be traveling with one. Get to the gate early and the gate agents will typically have to fill out some paperwork for it to be gate checked. Ours folds to size of a larger carry on, but it is very heavy. We are typically asked to remove the battery and carry that with us.

We do not cover it. Our thinking is a cover creates a false sense of protection for whomever may be handling the device, we don't care about scratches here and there. So leaving it uncovered, one may take more care given they see it's a mobility device. Just our opinion...

No matter which tool you decide to use, there should be a CM outside of each attraction who can advise you on what the procedure is for that attraction.

NB - they can sometimes be vague about how much walking is involved if you choose to walk into the attraction. They'll often say something like, "Can you walk a few steps?" without giving you any idea of how many they consider "a few." So if you have limitations it's good to let the CM know.

@mamabunny where did you pick up a 2nd battery? It shows unavailable from the journey site.

Y'all are *so* lucky that I am a digital packrat and I keep dang near everything! 😂

Southern Mobility & Medical

Also, continue to keep an eye on the Journey site... I have seen accessories come and go there. I sometimes think they must leave it to the unpaid interns to keep up to date!

No matter which tool you decide to use, there should be a CM outside of each attraction who can advise you on what the procedure is for that attraction.

NB - they can sometimes be vague about how much walking is involved if you choose to walk into the attraction. They'll often say something like, "Can you walk a few steps?" without giving you any idea of how many they consider "a few." So if you have limitations it's good to let the CM know.

So agree with the last part. Their idea of a few steps and my Mom's idea are not the same. At Haunted Mansion at Disneyland, they say about 5-10 minutes and some small distance. It is never that short and is also in a huge crowd. We long ago learned the wheelchair goes in with us there no matter what. Same goes for a few other rides.

Yep. Consider practicing a few times before your trip, while you are at home; creating that muscle memory will help you stay focused and calm while preparing the chair at the bottom of the jetway, outside the aircraft, or putting it back together at the end of the flight!

Also remember that if your device does get damaged in flight, keep your cool, take good photos (and video if it’s operational, like a wheel that permanently points off in a weird direction) and contact the airline ASAP so you can get your claim going. Remember that the folks you will be working with are not the ones who touched your device; they are there to help you get the claim filed and through the system. And ask the airline to cover the cost for a rental device (easiest will be a scooter, not the same, I know). Fingers crossed that you never need to use any info contained in this paragraph!

Have a great trip! 🙂
Yes, if it gets damaged, ask where to go before leaving the airport, file a claim, get the airlines insurance company's name and number. Then call Gold Mobility and ask if they can help you out. For DH, when his was damaged by the airline, Gold Mobility brought him a loaner and picked his up, fixed it and returned it to him within a few hours. They worked directly with the airlines insurance company, so didn't cost him anything. The airlines insurance company also called him up and thanked him for introducing them to Gold Mobility, as they had been having a hard time getting damaged scooters fixed in a timely manner and were also impressed with their prices and communication.

I have mentioned this before and this is definitely the cliff notes version, but just a heads up.

I am so very sorry to hear that it happened not once, but twice.

I have been very fortunate; I think in part because all of my devices can be folded into very compact, very tight shapes, and they are lightweight (because I need them to be, so I can handle them on my own if needed).

Our family has discussed talking to a company like Owner’s Locker in Orlando, to see about having them store a duplicate device there, and just have it delivered to the hotel when we arrive. Of course, that’s only helpful if the only place you ever fly is… Orlando.

I believe it’s really important that we all keep a spotlight on issues like yours. We need to make sure that *all* airlines take steps to treat our mobility devices with the respect and care that is minimally required to prevent damage. No one should have to see their device come back to the gate damaged; to have it happen twice should be unthinkable. And to have to use a loaner device that is not sufficient for your need - while better than nothing - is still adding insult to injury.

Thank you for sharing your story; it’s important. I’m genuinely sorry you have had to experience this, and then go through it again.
There is a senator or representative on a federal level that is trying to pass a law that basically says if the airlines (and a few others) damage your mobility device, it is the same as dismemberment as it is an extension of your body and the penalty and compensation should be equal to that. This stems from the airline damaging her custom wheelchair and causing her tons of problems.

There is a senator or representative on a federal level that is trying to pass a law that basically says if the airlines (and a few others) damage your mobility device, it is the same as dismemberment as it is an extension of your body and the penalty and compensation should be equal to that. This stems from the airline damaging her custom wheelchair and causing her tons of problems.

I'm wondering if that is Sen. Tammy Duckworth. I wouldn't be surprised; she uses mobility devices and aides herself, as she is a lower-limb amputee.

I have a great deal of respect and admiration for her.

I'm wondering if that is Sen. Tammy Duckworth. I wouldn't be surprised; she uses mobility devices and aides herself, as she is a lower-limb amputee.

Were you aware that she wrote an autobiography of her experiences? Interesting book.

Just think if you use a wheelchair you need someone to push you. Especially in the summer it’s gust hard enough to make it. Without pushing someone, scooter is a better deal. You can go off by yourself, everyone will have a better day. If you rent it you can use it at the hotel. Go out to get something by yourself.

I honestly can’t remember, but the lady was adamant that we need to make it clear that mobility devices are an extension of a person’s body and laws and rules need to treat it as such when there is damages involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter