Scooter Tips?

Thank you for the kind words! 🙂 I'm just happy if I can help even one other person have the best possible trip at WDW; like so many others here, it's my happy place!

I have yet to visit Riviera, other than passing through the Skyliner station at a very slow speed, so I can't comment on amenities, or the quality of the overall stay. Our daughter did stay there over the holidays, and she prefers a tower-type hotel, so she was fine with it. However, they did *not* pay rack rate at all for that trip; she has said several times she will only stay there if she can get a good discount.

The Cabins are a wonderful, relaxing place for us; FW seems to force you to slow down, and take it easy 🙂 If you fly in, you will mostly have to take the "loop" buses to the main bus stop - which is an extra transfer every time - but walking home at night from the bus stop, and seeing the fireflies flicker through the pine trees, and waving "hi" to your neighbors that are out on their decks... it's really priceless. I firmly believe that everyone should do it at least once; there are accessible cabins (with ramps to full size decks, roll-in showers available, etc.) especially on a trip when you have a bit more time to spend in "relax" mode.

And now... back to our original topic! 😘
I think it's safe to say that you've helped at least one - me! And doubtless many others! Thanks again. I think I might stay at FW Cabins at some future date. Sounds interesting! I wonder if there is a thread about best/worst ECV resorts (or resort pros/cons for ECV users) somewhere within this forum? I've seen some scattered resort commentary here and there, but can't recall if I've seen a dedicated thread.

And now.... back to our original topic!

Speaking of scooter tips, does anyone know if you are allowed to take a scooter into the actual lines? I know I normally see them parked outside of the rides, so i am curious on how it will all work. We will be going with my father in law who has cancer- He is "mobile" but is very very weak mainly due to his treatment. I would say that he can only stand for a maximum of 5-10 minute at a time... How does that work in lines?
I am not sure that it warrants a DAS pass, as he can wait... he just can't stand.

I've taken my scooter through the line in most cases. 7DMT, Navii, Under the Sea-Little Mermaid, TSMM, are just a few I can remember off-hand.

I’m at WDW right now with my partner who is using a scooter. We’ve been able to take it through every line. BUT she is always asked if she is able to transfer herself to the ride vehicle. Sometimes it’s just stepping in, but sometimes it involves stepping down into the vehicle (and being able to get back out) or some other maneuver. You’ll want to consider whether your father in law can do that. I don’t believe the CMs are permitted to assist.

Is it easy to see where you are supposed to park your scooter in each area? Is there a spot by every ride? I can walk a bit, is it typically easier to park the ecv and leave it, or to take it thru the queue?

Is it easy to see where you are supposed to park your scooter in each area? Is there a spot by every ride? I can walk a bit, is it typically easier to park the ecv and leave it, or to take it thru the queue?
Frequently same place as strollers

Ask CM.at entrance if its not obvious. Easier to walk through queue if you can comfortably walk and stand as required.

Exactly what Lewis said above - any time you want to know where to park outside of a ride, attraction, show, shop or dining, just ask the nearest CM, and they will happily direct you.

*overall* it’s not tough to drive *most* scooters or mobility devices through *most* queues (or shops, or dining, etc.) at WDW. If you have one of the bigger Parks rentals (not an outside vendor rental) then those are larger, with a wider turning radius; they are not as nimble as, for example, the “standard” 3 wheel rental from most of the vendors in Orlando. There are still a few queues where you are not allowed to drive through them (Sue has those handy-dandy listed in the FAQ out on the main page) but for the most part, it’s not a problem to drive your scooter all the way through.

If you're in the regular line (not the new FP lane) you may have quite awhile standing even if the actual walking distance is short. Some lines - like Soarin - have a very long walk through the line whether you're in a "fast" lane or in the regular line. The line to Flight of Passage was also long and first up a hill then down a hill - I always took the ECV in for that one. I can manage some lines back pre-covid when I had a fast pass (like Buzz Lightyear which required a transfer to a WC). I guess it is yet to be seen how the new paid "lightning lane" will be with wait times. If you're not very familiar with the ride lines I'd suggest taking the ECV if it is allowed.

I can walk. But can not walk miles a day. So I use a scooter. I try to park it and walk onto the rides. I can kinda get into and harder out of ride vehicles.
I look at it this way. Without the scooter I could not go too Disney. I can not do that type of walking

A big Thank You to the people posting here!
I just got back from a 2 week trip where I used a scooter for the first time. Thanks to the kindness of everyone here I knew who to rent from (Gold Mobility where I had a good experience), knew that it was a necessity in order to enjoy the parks and therefore did not feel like an old lady and ugly cry the first time I used it, and also realized that there are as many reasons for needing one as there are people who use them.
I don’t remember seeing this anywhere, so forgive me if it has already been said, but I learned what to ask for when entering the parking lots. I do not have a disabled placard at home so we asked the first parking attendant that we saw where we should park if we have a scooter but no placard. She told me to “ask for medical overflow parking”. This enabled us to have space behind the car in order for my husband and son to unload the scooter. Since the parking lots were not especially busy, we were parked with the people who do have placards.

A big Thank You to the people posting here!
I just got back from a 2 week trip where I used a scooter for the first time. Thanks to the kindness of everyone here I knew who to rent from (Gold Mobility where I had a good experience), knew that it was a necessity in order to enjoy the parks and therefore did not feel like an old lady and ugly cry the first time I used it, and also realized that there are as many reasons for needing one as there are people who use them.
I don’t remember seeing this anywhere, so forgive me if it has already been said, but I learned what to ask for when entering the parking lots. I do not have a disabled placard at home so we asked the first parking attendant that we saw where we should park if we have a scooter but no placard. She told me to “ask for medical overflow parking”. This enabled us to have space behind the car in order for my husband and son to unload the scooter. Since the parking lots were not especially busy, we were parked with the people who do have placards.

Yay for a good trip!!! 🙂

Thank you for all the great advice. I have canceled 2 trips since December I broke my ankle and tore my meniscus and have had two surgeries. I now have a trip scheduled for June. I have gone back and forth with canceling my June trip. After reading a lot of the advice on this thread I feel more comfortable renting a scooter and trying my luck I am still walking with a cane and have a limp. My husband and I have been a 2-4 park a day couple before my fall. I am feeling more comfortable with a 1 or 2 park a day this trip.

Thank you for all the great advice. I have canceled 2 trips since December I broke my ankle and tore my meniscus and have had two surgeries. I now have a trip scheduled for June. I have gone back and forth with canceling my June trip. After reading a lot of the advice on this thread I feel more comfortable renting a scooter and trying my luck I am still walking with a cane and have a limp. My husband and I have been a 2-4 park a day couple before my fall. I am feeling more comfortable with a 1 or 2 park a day this trip.
What ever company you chose I hope everything goes smooth for you.....Don't over do (haha) and have a FANTASTIC TIME!

I broke my ankle very badly a couple years ago and was in a boot at the time of our pre-scheduled trip. It was about 2 weeks after I was even allowed to put weight on it again (and the period in between two surgeries) so the scooter was the only way I would've made it through. for those about to chime in that i was crazy/irresponsible, I did talk to my doctor before I went and got the ok and got clearance on what I could/could not do/ride. Here's my thoughts/recommendations:

1. If you're driving/using a rental car, make sure you have your temporary handicap parking pass so that you can use it at the parks and free valet at the resorts (we had a character meal and the valet was fantastic to have)
2. you can drive the scooter through a lot of the lines, but I recommend practicing tight turns and elevator boarding (some rides have them) before going. keep it on the slowest setting in lines (some cast members remind you, but best to do it). I didn't have any issues, but I definitely saw some people massively struggling. some rides require that you transfer to a wheelchair for the line. i found the disability map/app info to be pretty accurate on on this. Cast members at the entrance to every ride were able to tell us if I could drive or needed to transfer to a wheelchair and could answer our questions about access. they will also ask if you can transfer to a ride vehicle and how far you can walk (know about how many steps 10? 20? 100? with or without assistance?) and if you can handle a moving walkway if it has it (some rides they can slow it rather than stop it completely). they'll work with you if you can clearly communicate your needs and abilities. and aren't a jerk. i saw so many people yelling, literally yelling at CMs because they didn't want a wheelchair/didn't want to take the scooter through the line/etc. ridiculous.
3. if you're still experiencing a lot of swelling, take breaks to elevate! I was able find a corner to park and prop my leg up on the handle bars (i'm tall so that may not work for everyone) when i needed a break and i brought my wraparound ice pack for the room so I could ice it at night. the first aid stations in the parks also have them and can be a place to sit to take a break if you're hurting. Also, even with the scooter, the leg is going to get jostled more than you'd think - bumps in the roads (omg the cobblestones), people bumping into it, plus just the vibration of the scooter and on the rides is more than you'd get just sitting at home - so you may want to focus on what you really really want to do first, in case you need to quit early or stop riding because it gets to be too much. after i learned this on day 1, we readjusted to do rides in the morning, take a long break and do things we wouldn't otherwise, like shows or long meals or just people watching, and then did more rides towards the evening.
4. bring whatever medications/wraps/braces/etc that you're using to manage your pain, even if you are not using it anymore. and i don't mean prescription - it can be as simple as a two tylenol arthritis in the morning and then more later if you need it when you can take it again. even though I tried to limit walking as much as possible, it's probably more than you've been doing on a daily basis and definitely not multiple days in a row. i'm also nearly 3 years out from my injury and, while i am fine at home, I still bring my ankle brace to the parks and take some OTC pain meds with me.
5. bathrooms - many aren't really maneuverable with a scooter. i advise parking as close to the door as you can and making the walk in if you're able. if you're traveling with someone, have them see if there's a line so you don't have to stand to wait. for hotels, consider if you need a handicap accessible bathroom/shower. most rooms otherwise have a bathtub for step in/out. Also make sure to request a first floor room - prior to the disney trip, we stayed in a small beachfront hotel with an elevator, thinking it would be fine. we were on the 5th floor. on day 2 the elevator broke or had a power outage or something (story kept changing) and I was stuck downstairs sitting at the pool for 5 hours as they waited to see if they could fix it or find me a first floor room.
6. bring a towel or something to cover your seat for when you are not in it - if you leave it sitting in the sun, it will get HOT. if it rains, you don't want everything getting wet. also, if you're going in June, it's Florida - leave it covered every time even if it is super sunny when you head into a ride. it could still be pouring when you come out! we had a towel and also some cheap plastic ponchos to put over it. we rented from gold mobility and they give you a little plastic shower cap for the controls, but that's it (and they can tear easily so have extras).
7. as others have said, find a way to mark your scooter because, like the strollers, they can and do get moved. we decked mine out with a ton of Christmas decorations and cheap battery powered lights from Wal-Mart. It was impossible to miss and got much praise. also made it harder for any angry people to throw shade because different gave them pause (and sometimes a laugh).
8. avoid sidewalks if at all possible and keep to the streets - if you get on, you will only be able to get off at the curbs. i got re-routed onto one by a CM because of parade prep (bad timing) and was stuck trying to get people standing to move out of my way, as everyone stacked up behind me. it was not fun.
9. if you're not the vocal type, prepare yourself to speak up and practice it in a loud but polite tone. People often aren't paying attention and you may be sitting a while if you wait for them to notice. You will also need it to say look out at the oblivious or rude people who will just cut right in front of you or a loose small child. We went to Mickey's Christmas party and I had a couple of stockings hanging from the handlebars (our decorations were no joke) and so we filled them with the free individually wrapped cookies and, whenever I needed someone to move or when they were being rude, I could get their attention just by yelling excuse me, would you like one of the free cookies? and offering it to them. they usually realized they needed to move and it was an easy way to avoid a direct confrontation. though, that is probably something that only works at the parties.
10. take breaks between park days if you can. we did two days in a row and day 2 was ROUGH (well, a park one day, the the christmas party the other. we thought the late start would help but i was really hurting by the end). the other days we did 1 park, then a break day, then the other park and it worked much, much better.

it's different if you're used to going full-force all day, every day, but it's totally doable and we ended up having a lot of fun. all that said, when I went back this year, I really missed my scooter! i missed the phone charger and not having to carry my bags, and definitely when my feet were killing me at the end of a day.

So, we have rented a scooter for this upcoming trip. We are taking this trip with my MIL, she is about a year into her stage 4 lung cancer diagnosis. It has spread all over but her latest scans seemed stable enough to make her wish of visiting Disney true. We are DVC/AP holders, but she has never been, we are staying at Poly so we are close and have monorail access for 2 parks. I have MS so I know how challenging the parks can be, I have my DAS pass and that covers her so I didn't need to have her sit on line for hours on end, I have no issues navigating those parts of traveling with a disability. I have refused a scooter for myself bc I feel like I can still get around albeit slowly (and to be honest with some whining involved), so this is all new to me.
My concern comes in that we planned a few meals in the boardwalk area, before epcot and after HS. I always just uber back to the hotels. Never gave it a second thought when booking these meals, until last night when I thought how am I getting her back to the resort. I dread the thought of having to change buses, so has anyone had luck getting a scooter into an uber, like an XL, or am I better off just canceling Yachtsman and Trattoria al Forno?
Thanks for any and all advice/info...

So, we have rented a scooter for this upcoming trip. We are taking this trip with my MIL, she is about a year into her stage 4 lung cancer diagnosis. It has spread all over but her latest scans seemed stable enough to make her wish of visiting Disney true. We are DVC/AP holders, but she has never been, we are staying at Poly so we are close and have monorail access for 2 parks. I have MS so I know how challenging the parks can be, I have my DAS pass and that covers her so I didn't need to have her sit on line for hours on end, I have no issues navigating those parts of traveling with a disability. I have refused a scooter for myself bc I feel like I can still get around albeit slowly (and to be honest with some whining involved), so this is all new to me.
My concern comes in that we planned a few meals in the boardwalk area, before epcot and after HS. I always just uber back to the hotels. Never gave it a second thought when booking these meals, until last night when I thought how am I getting her back to the resort. I dread the thought of having to change buses, so has anyone had luck getting a scooter into an uber, like an XL, or am I better off just canceling Yachtsman and Trattoria al Forno?

Search YouTube for either/both your rental vendor (in case they have posted their own videos on how to break down their rental scooters) and the name/model of the scooter you have rented. You should be able to find videos that show exactly how to break down the scooter, and then set it back up.

If you are going to be at Boardwalk/Yacht, you could always take the bus from either Resort to Disney Springs, and then switch to a Poly bus at that terminal to get back to the Resort. Just a thought... Yes, it's still buses, but unless you are trying to ride those Disney Springs buses at the busier times of the evening (around 7 pm for dinner ADRs and again around closing time for the bars) the worst part would be the possible 20 to 30 minute wait for the next bus to arrive.

Last, but certainly not least... if you are willing to either walk or take a Friendship boat back to EPCOT's International Gateway, you could then stroll back through EPCOT to the Monorail, ride the Monorail to the TTC and then switch to the Resort Monorail line there - or just walk the 10 minutes or so to Poly.

Do you take a Rollator for yourself? Those can be so handy for those of us still trying to walk as much as possible. It's great at Disney to have a built-in seat ready at a moment's notice!

I would boat or walk to the Disney Studios, then hop on the Poly bus.

Do the Minnie Vans accommodate scooters?

There are accessible Minnie Vans that can accommodate scooters. You have to reserve those by calling directly. Any of the Resort Hotel's can provide you with the current phone number (I'm not sure if it will be the same number they used previously, once the accessible vans are running again)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter