Scooter in the rain tips

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
I leave for Disney World on Thursday!:banana::banana::banana:

I know this time of year it rains almost every day. I will be using an ECV to get around the parks. So I'm looking for tips on using a scooter in the rain. I have an extra poncho, and a few shower caps to put over the controls. Anything else?

Is it ok to scooter around in the rain, or should I find a shop to hide out in? Are the controls the only thing I need to really worry about getting wet? TIA for any tips or tricks!!!

Woohoo!! I am too 🎉🤩

Most ECV’s are not supposed to get wet & you’ve got the right idea- cover what you can, and get out of the rain asap!
Best of luck! I hope your trip is fantastic!! pixiedust:

Since I travel to WDW often & have a degenerative disease that had already made walking long distances impossible- I bought a MagShock Fold & Go electric wheelchair specifically bc it folds/travels easily & is waterproof- I’ve been through some pretty serious downpours in that thing, and it runs beautifully. Just something to consider if this isn’t a one-time thing 😉

We pay extra attention to the weather forecasts and check every couple of hours for rain predictions.. Believe it or not we look at the sky ourselves for any clues like the sky getting darker, for example. We do this to seek shelter. It's a good time to see an inside show if it starts raining. Maybe, have your meal while it's raining where you can bring your scooter inside.

Grab 2 things to help:

- First, a shower cap (most rentals come with one, or something similar) to cover the controls on the tiller.

- Second, a poncho that the rider wears, but with the front flap over the handlbars/controls and the back flap extended down over the back side of the seat back. (so that it drapes down the back.

- Optional third item: A shower curtain or second poncho to drape over the scooter seat to help keep it dry.

I do what the previous poster suggested and get an extra large poncho that I can drape over the front and back while I’m wearing it. There are days it rains all day, but my experience is that most afternoons it rains for about 15-20 minutes and that’s it.

Grab 2 things to help:

- First, a shower cap (most rentals come with one, or something similar) to cover the controls on the tiller.

- Second, a poncho that the rider wears, but with the front flap over the handlbars/controls and the back flap extended down over the back side of the seat back. (so that it drapes down the back.

- Optional third item: A shower curtain or second poncho to drape over the scooter seat to help keep it dry.
As long as you do the things mamabunny recommends, you can probably relax a little. I got caught in a major rainstorm once when I was by Pizzafari in Animal Kingdom. First, I had to navigate my way out of the park-just outside the gates the water was pretty deep, with not much room to go around. Fortunately the area to wait for the bus was covered. But then when we got to OKW, I got off at Penninsular Road and drove over to where we were staying, which was on Miller's Road. Got into our villa soaked to the bone, but my ECV was still running.

I bring large plastic clear garbage bags (sometimes called recycling bags). They cover the entire front of the scooter. If too much they get tied underneath. I also use a poncho for myself and a rain head umbrella. It is a sight but we stay warm and dry.

I bring plenty of ponchos and large recycling bags so covering the scooter is never an issue. Where I find I need to be extra carefully is the depth that some of the puddles are. I’ve gotten trapped in Tomorrowland a couple of times where torrential rains have persisted. For some reasons this area seems especially flood prone. I am always concerned that a puddle I judge to be a couple of inches is much deeper… the last thing I want is for the scooter to stall!

We rent from Gold Mobility Scooters, and they always provide us with a waterproof control cover and a few rain poncho's. We use the control cover to cover the controls and one of the ponchos to cover the scooter to keep the seat dry. I always works our just fine.

Update! It rained every afternoon of my trip. Golds Mobility did have an extra clear poncho in the scooter's basket. Also a small clear control cover. I used both. One afternoon it was windy enough that I covered the controls, threw the clear poncho over the front, and secured it all with a few clothes pins. I had another poncho that I wore, and draped down over the back of my seat. Everything stayed decently dry.

I got one of those, but it was too big and bulky. So I continue to use a rain poncho that covers both me and my device until I can get out of the rain.

I also use clothes pins - the large plastic ones keep the ponchos secure from the wind.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter