Scooter Help

Blackunicorn

<font color=teal>Her mouth runneth over!<br><font
Hello all! I'm scheduled to leave for DL in two days, and I've been diagnosed with foot problems. Now my physical therapist is telling me I ought to rent a scooter. This is very alarming for me, because I'm going to be embarassed to use a scooter when I'm physically okay except for my feet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for scooter rental? Have you used one at the parks, and how did you like it? Did you have any difficulties? Is it very expensive? Any answers I haven't thought of the questions to? I really appreciate any and all help.

First of all, have fun on your trip! We just got back and I am so envious of your upcoming trip! We have rented scooters for my fil on all of our trips. I think they are $34 right now. You get them right at the front gate. You will also be charged a $20 deposit that will be refunded to your credit card when you bring it back at the end of the evening. You can take the scooter back and forth between the parks but not to DTD (is what we were told but I saw ppl with what looked liked Disney issued scooters at DTD :confused3 so I am not 100% sure about that). Disneyland is not quite as scooter friendly as WDW since the park is older and the walkways are a bit narrower. But you should be fine since crowds are low right now. In some of the newer rides like Buzz you can take the scooter almost the full way thru the que. At BTMRR for example you enter thru the exit and get on the train on the opposite side of the platform. My fil can usually stand in short lines just fine but it was nice he could stay with his scooter in line on Buzz. The cm's will tell you what to do on each ride if you feel you can't stand in the full line. During parades and fireworks you have to have it parked in a way that does not block foot traffic. The key is attached to a little bracelet so you can basically lock it while you ride. Once you get the hang of it you will be fine, my fil could never do Dland with us if he didn't have one due to his foot and other health problems. Have a great trip!

Blackunicorn said:
Hello all! I'm scheduled to leave for DL in two days, and I've been diagnosed with foot problems. Now my physical therapist is telling me I ought to rent a scooter. This is very alarming for me, because I'm going to be embarassed to use a scooter when I'm physically okay except for my feet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for scooter rental? Have you used one at the parks, and how did you like it? Did you have any difficulties? Is it very expensive? Any answers I haven't thought of the questions to? I really appreciate any and all help.

So sorry to hear about your foot problem.
I will be coming to DL in late April and will need to use a scooter also .
I have rented scooters from offsite companies at WDW and Las vegas many times.

If you rent from an offsite rental they will deliver the EVC to bell services at the resort. you can use it to go to the pool, and all around your resort. Since you are not familar with a scooter you can practice at a store before the trip. Walmart and Target as well as several stores have them for customers.
I love using my EVC it gives me more indepence and helps keep my pain to a minimum. I just back my EVC into the room, plug it in and I ready to go to the parks in the morning. :moped:

EVC's are are well the cost to me. I don't feel like I'm holding up my group when I use the EVC.

Here are some questions I copied from the disAbilities Board:
Please ask yourself the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!
If you have any questions please PM me.

Have a wonderful vacation.
Linda ::MinnieMo

Thanks for all the info. I am meeting my mom out there in a few weeks and she is still recovering from hip surgery so I know to keep up with me this is going to be the best option!!

We just rented an ECV today from Alans Wheelchair in Anahiem . Its $125 for 6 days and they will drop off and pick up at your hotel.!! My m.i.l needs one and for 6 days paying at the park would cost wayyyy too much.Phone # is 800-693-4344. hope this helps!--Maria :earsgirl:

I just found information on the mouseplanet website:

Scoot-Around North America offers third party rentals in the Anaheim and is delivered directly to you at your hotel or home. For some people, this may be more advantageous when you keep in mind that you cannot take wheelchairs or scooters rented at Disneyland out of the park. Delivery and pickup is free to any address in Anaheim and to Disneyland. They can be reached toll free at 1 (888) 441-7575 or at Scootaround.

Another company is Alans Wheelchairs. the # is 1-800-693-4344. $125 for 6 days.
Hope this helps.
Linda ::MinnieMo

Thank you so much, guys. I decided to be brave yesterday and forgo the cost of a wheelchair. We were in the parks for 3 or 4 hours, and by the time I got back to the room, I couldn't walk on my left foot at all. I will definitely be changing that today!

The most frustrating thing for me is that I was in such pain, but all around me were teenagers in wheelchairs. I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that a lot of people considered the $30 rental to be a free all-day fastpass. I'm definitely going to call the numbers you guys gave me, though! I can't thank you enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter