Scifi Diner vs. Brown Derby

LibrarianBecky

Mouseketeer
I'm only booking a couple ADRs for our June 2019 trip. I would like to book an ADR for our Hollywood Studios day because the quick service options are not especially appealing for my family. I'm going back and forth between Sci Fi Diner and Brown Derby. We will not have the dining plan, so no concern there. It will be myself, my husband, and our 12 year old son.

I think that the atmosphere of Sci Fi would probably be fun for my son. However, I don't know that we would actually sit in the 'cars' because my husband is a pretty big guy, and I"m guessing that we would need to take a table in the back. The menu at Sci Fi doesn't do much for me...we could all find something to eat, but nothing that is a 'must have' for us. The biggest reason I was considering it was because I thought my son would enjoy the atmosphere.

Brown Derby would be more expensive, but the menu is interesting to me. We've never eaten at either place, but I would like to try the famous cobb salad and grapefruit cake at HBD. My husband and son would be able to find things to eat at either place.

So, given this set of circumstances, where would you try for an ADR?

Thank you!

If you wouldn't be able to sit in the car then I would do Brown Derby in a heart beat! I would chose it just for the Cobb Salad alone! I have done Sci Fi several times as my daughter use to like it, but the food is not appealing to me at all!

I love SciFi, but Brown Derby is really great. I guess it just depends on what atmosphere you're looking for. My husband isn't a small guy, and he is fine in the cars. But if you're really worried about that, just take the stress of that worry out of the equation and go with Brown Derby. I waffled on whether or not to book it again for our upcoming visit, but went with SciFi instead (for me, not for the kids :rotfl::rotfl:)

I have never eaten at Sci fi so i can't comment on that, but we did eat at Brown Derby this past April (did the fantasmic dining package). 5 out of 7 of my party ordered the Filet, yes it is expensive BUT it was the most amazing filet that we have ever had. Even to this day we will order filet from time to time at places near home which are suppose to be great but still nothing compares. I don't know if we just hit it on a good day or if it is always on point. I think over all BD does get great reviews. I don't think you can go wrong with BD. FYI my twin boys were 12 at the time and thoroughly enjoyed their filet's. I guess it depends on what your son will eat and which menu appeals most to your party.

I love looking at youtube video reviews of different restaurants. Sometimes that can help get an idea of the feel of the restaurant as both those restaurants have very different environments. I've seen some videos of sci fi and don't really find it all that appealing of a concept.

I haven't eaten at BD but Sci Fi did not impress us. The menu looked interesting to me but the quality was so-so. Also, does your son like cheesy old movies? My kids found them disturbing (well the middle one did) and wanted to leave. My kids are a little younger (5-9 at that time) but the movies were not fun for them.

Which meal is this for lunch or dinner?

Sci-Fi has a few long tables with chairs (I believe 6 chairs) with a car bumper and fender to resemble a car. They are parked among the standard cars. The umbrella tables are in the rear. Google images of the restaurant and you will see the different seating.

My 14 yr old son adores the Sci-Fi yet the rest of our family dreads going there. We just don’t like the food. We go for him but vowed last trip we’re done. The hamburgers are too salty, salads are pitiful (dried out grilled chicken or chicken nuggets). I told my son I’d only go back for appetizers and shakes - not a full meal. I say this every year, and then I’m back there again! I will say we’ve had the best servers there. Fun and friendly.

Brown Derby is wonderful! We haven’t been since my kids were toddlers. You can’t compare the two. Signature restaurant vs. burger joint.

For an unforgettable dining experience, I’d go to Brown Derby. To please my son, I’d suffer thru another meal at Sci-Fi. As he always says “mom, we’re making memories!”

Two entirely different dining experiences. Me, I love Sci-Fi, the decor, the little films, the bar food, never have I seen something recreated so well. Most kids today don't even know what a drive in is. They have good burgers, fried pickles, shakes, and they do it well and price it accordingly. HBD, linen napkins, elevated menu. I don't like the last menu change, nor do I care for the "famous" Cobb (I don't like my lettuce diced into chicklets but others do). In Sep/2018 it didn't wow me like before but I would eat there again. I really enjoy their appetizers (Blue Crab Crispy Wonton & the Beef Carpaccio) I wouldn't order the Ciopino again. And there again I didn't like the grapefruit cake either, but the Banana Toffee Cake is really good. What would I do, have Sci-Fi for lunch on one day and then have a nice dinner at HBD on another night.

I don't think I'd do Sci Fi for dinner, but we had lunch there (sandwiches, wraps, some really great milkshakes) and were very happy with the meal. I had my two kids age 8 and 10 with us, and I have to say it was the MOST PEACEFUL meal we had the entire trip lol. Between the low lights, the quiet B movie clips and the overall atmosphere, it was like tranquilizer for them. We will definitely do it again.

I think everyone should eat at the Sci-Fi at least once. The atmosphere is fun and unique.
However, I find the food to be very average at the Sci-Fi. We like to go there about every other year or so just to take in the atmosphere.
Otherwise, I would go to the Brown Derby for a better meal.

Well the food at Brown Derby is incredible but we just love the Sci-Fi. I try to schedule at least one meal a trip there. But the girls know what a drive in is (we still go to one) and my office at home is decorated with drive in collectibles from 2 speakers to pictures of classic drive ins. I call Sci-Fi a counter service impersonating a TS but you can get a good meal at what of Disney is very affordable prices.

After eating in every DHS restaurant multiple times, HBD is our standard go-to. Yes, it's more expensive, but the food and service are excellent and much better than what you'll find at Sci-Fi. We used to love Sci-Fi for the atmosphere, but the last time we went, the food was barely edible.

I really enjoy Sci Fi, but with a party of 3 I would pick HBD. You would not be able to fit the three of you in one row and unless it was very uncrowded they wouldn't put you at one of the regular table cars that fit 6, and I don't think it's as fun to sit at the picnic tables.

Sci Fi not a big fan of either but Brown derby is not worth the price or credits if your on a dining plan

Thanks for the input everyone! I spoke with my son last night and compared menus. He said he would rather do HBD, so that makes it an easy decision. I didn't really think about it before reading this thread, but we actually have a drive-in theater still in our hometown and go at least once or twice a year. Given that, maybe we aren't missing anything at SciFi!

We enjoy both for different reasons.
SCI Fi is just fun to go to and watch the old bad movies. The burgers and shakes are very good.
HBD has much better food. More relaxed atmosphere, most of the time, still can be very busy. Last time, they had a character walking around the tables doing comedy and card tricks.

I really enjoy Sci Fi, but with a party of 3 I would pick HBD. You would not be able to fit the three of you in one row and unless it was very uncrowded they wouldn't put you at one of the regular table cars that fit 6, and I don't think it's as fun to sit at the picnic tables.

Sounds like the OP has made up her mind, but just wanted to point out the when we went to SciFi this summer, my daughter and I sat in the front row of a car, my tall (6'5") husband sat in the middle row, and then the server said we had a couple of "hitchhikers" - sat an adult couple in the back row of the car. It was cute the way the carhop framed it, and it didn't bother us one bit - it's so quiet and dark in SciFi, we didn't hear or see the other couple at all and honestly forgot that they were there. I'm not sure if I'd want to do that as the couple in the back, but if it let me be seated more quickly (or maybe they were walk-ups?), maybe I would.

Last edited:
Sounds like the OP has made up her mind, but just wanted to point out the when we went to SciFi this summer, my daughter and I sat in the front row of a car, my tall (6'5") husband sat in the middle row, and then the server said we had a couple of "hitchhikers" - sat an adult couple in the back row of the car. It was cute the way the carhop framed it, and it didn't bother us one bit - it's so quiet and dark in SciFi, we didn't hear or see the other couple at all and honestly forgot that they were there. I'm not sure if I'd want to do that as the couple in the back, but if it let me be seated more quickly (or maybe they were walk-ups?), maybe I would.

In February, my son and I were hitchhikers in a third row. It didn’t bother us one bit. I can’t explain it but somehow the way the seating is designed, our row felt quiet and intimate. We never heard the family in front of us.

I love both restaurants, whenever I take my nephew, we eat at Sci-fi, the cars and the clips are super fun, and I've never had any problem with the food, just stick to burgers and fries and such and it's good. However, with 3 people, it's a bit of a challenge, as you will be in 2 separate rows in the car, so it makes sharing appetizers or even conversation a bit of a challenge. (Despite the number of kids, this is one of the quietest restaurants on property)

Brown Derby, on the other hand, is possibly my favorite park restaurant. I looooove the Old Hollywood-ness of it all, and the food is so good. It is however, pretty boring for kids.

Yeah, I was amazed how quiet SciFi is - I expected it to be a zoo, being that it's in a soundstage. We really didn't talk to Dad/hubby in the middle row too much, but we didn't talk to each other in the front row much, either, just watched the movies - it was a nice, quiet, dark and relaxing break in the middle of the day.

I really liked the Brown Derby the one time we went - got one of those cool horseshoe-shaped booths and really enjoyed our cocktails and Cobb salad - but that was pre-kid.

Oh, we have a drive-in theater still in our hometown and go probably five-six times every summer! Nice thing about SciFi, no mosquitoes!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter