science fair project ideas?

serenitygr

2021: trip number six to the Fort!!
I've been researching online, and trying to find some ideas. We will be at Disney for exactly 2 weeks over Christmas. Staying at Fort Wilderness. I have twin 6th grade boys who have a science fair project due the middle of January, and we thought it would be neat to use Disney as the place to conduct our experiment.

We are not doing any tours, so those wouldn't be of any help. And I think the ideas of rollercoasters may be a little advance for them yet- this is only their first project so we are beginners. THey need to be able to have a really good display and explanation of how independent and dependent variables affect the outcome of something.

Any ideas would be very welcome! The only one I have so far involves checking pulse rates on different age people after different types of rides...

Years ago I had intended to have my then 2nd grader do a project and presentation day project on the modes of transportation around WDW. Monorail, paddle boat, Segways, horse drawn carriages, trolley, steam locomotive, trams, etc.

First off, how cool for you and your family - 2 wks in Ft Wilderness over Christmas! I've only been there a couple of times and I saw the Xmas lights displays in the campground, and always thought it would be so neat to stay there. Are you in a cabin or your own tent/RV? You're so lucky!

OK, I'm thinking try to make it easy, something you can do around the campground, and something that changes over time since you have 2 wks...I was thinking something with observing the animals there, but can't come up with anything. Then I was thinking of weather/sunlight/growing things...could you bring a few 2 liter plastic soda bottles and some seeds and test how each grows under different conditions - measured times of sunlight, different amounts of water, fertilizer, etc.? And bring them home to put on display? I'll ask my 7th grader what types of experiments he's done too...will keep thinking - and fantasizing about staying in Ft. Wilderness!

Have a great time!

Linda

Years ago I had intended to have my then 2nd grader do a project and presentation day project on the modes of transportation around WDW. Monorail, paddle boat, Segways, horse drawn carriages, trolley, steam locomotive, trams, etc.
That would be interesting, but for them it can't just be an presentation. It has to be an actual "experiment" where they can measure the outcomes of something after you change the variables... :goodvibes

You'll be there over the equinox... Perhaps you could stick a post in the ground and measure the track of the sun?

A study of how FP saves time vs just using one of the EasyWDW plans to ride rides? (Does FP really save time? Let's find out)

Similarly maybe measuring different modes of transportation (boat vs monorail vs bus)

See the Wishes fireworks show from 4 different viewpoints (inside the park and at each of the monorail resorts. Why do the fireworks appear different at the GF and the Contemporary as compared to the Polynesian and inside the park in front of the castle?) Where are the fireworks actually launched from?

Do they have a favorite ride and do you have hoppers?

If so, I'd try to visit that ride as many times over the two weeks as you can at as many different times as you can and time how long it takes to go through the line and get on the ride. You'd probably need a control time as well which would mean doing the ride at the same time on several occasions so you have something to compare. The variables would then be the day of the week, was it an actual holiday, time of day, perhaps use some of the crowd calendar predictors for crowd level, etc.

As a teacher, I would encourage you to guide your sons in developing a question that they are interested in finding out the answer to. This will put intrinsic value into the project so that, they will be encouraged to do the project and not leave you doing it for them. ;)

Is Smiling Contagious?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/HumBeh_p042.shtml

Hands on Shopping-Are You More Likely To Buy It If You Can Try It Out?
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-
projects/project_ideas/HumBeh_p042.shtml

The Brains Behind Where's Waldo?-Could be adapted to Hidden Mickeys
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas/HumBeh_p032.shtml

I just thought of another ride themed one.

IF they like Tower of Terror, they could do something with probability. You know the number of drops is "random." So they ride ToT a set number of times and then determine what the probability is for a certain number of drops. Then they ride it again a set number of times to see if they are right.

I just thought of another ride themed one.

IF they like Tower of Terror, they could do something with probability. You know the number of drops is "random." So they ride ToT a set number of times and then determine what the probability is for a certain number of drops. Then they ride it again a set number of times to see if they are right.

Or drop a penny into their hand while the drop is occurring and normally when standing on the ground...

That would be interesting, but for them it can't just be an presentation. It has to be an actual "experiment" where they can measure the outcomes of something after you change the variables... :goodvibes

I think I know what you mean. I helped my niece who was in Kindergarten do a science fair project (not required at her grade but would be later)

At this point I think they like to see good data gathering and then some conclusions. Its more the idea that they are learning the tools of science versus actually learning something (sort of).

Now what to do at Disney, maybe something to do with how people move through a section of park. The problem is that they can't really control the outcome of a result by modifying the variables like you can by doing say playing classical versus heavy metal music to plants to see how they grow.

I'll keep thinking but not sure how you could do anything thats really Disney related and gives you control of something.

I've been researching online, and trying to find some ideas. We will be at Disney for exactly 2 weeks over Christmas. Staying at Fort Wilderness. I have twin 6th grade boys who have a science fair project due the middle of January, and we thought it would be neat to use Disney as the place to conduct our experiment.

We are not doing any tours, so those wouldn't be of any help. And I think the ideas of rollercoasters may be a little advance for them yet- this is only their first project so we are beginners. THey need to be able to have a really good display and explanation of how independent and dependent variables affect the outcome of something.

Any ideas would be very welcome! The only one I have so far involves checking pulse rates on different age people after different types of rides...

We just finished my DS sixt grade science project two weeks ago. He is in advance science. First, make sure you are fully aware of the school rules and deadlines. For example, my son's school does not allow you to use human or animals in your experiment, only small insects. In addition, he has several check-points starting about three months out where he had to turn in five ideas/questions for approval before he could select his final project idea. Then follow-up check points included research questions, research written paper showing research, history of similar projects, definitions, bibliography, etc. All of this had to be done before the experiment. He also had to keep a detailed, hand-written journal that had logged in each step of the process. The final report that was due after the experiment had additional mandatory items. After all was said and done, it was 25 pages long but would have been longer if he had taken better pictures that were usable. LoL. Most of his pictures ended up blurry so we only included the best three.

Best of Luck!

How about how different surfaces effect the rate of melting of a Mickey Bar? Do this at your campsite. Put one on a metal cookie sheet, one on paper plate and one on wooden cutting board???

My little girl was very impressed when she saw a project demonstrating how much sugar is in food (little baggies filled with an equivalent amount of sugar next to photos of a soda, candy bar, etc) Have you ever seen that? Anyway, you could take photos of or save the wrappers from snacks (mickey bars, all that prepackaged stuff from Goofy's candy store, etc) you eat during your trip and then determine the amount of sugar in each that you ate. Here is a link to a similar project:
http://brewnoob.com/post/26431086792/rethink-your-drink-was-a-science-project-by-a

. . . THey need to be able to have a really good display and explanation of how independent and dependent variables affect the outcome of something . . .

LET'S SEE:
1) Concierge Reactions
. . . when people smile
. . . when people smile and are friendly
. . . when people are sullen and nasty
2) Crowd Dynamics
. . . the action of people when there is an obstruction (like a chair) in a path
. . . the action of people when someone announces a sale somewhere
. . . the action of people when someone faces toward the back in an elevator
. . . the action of people when the check-in line is slow after a DME bus drops off
3) Behavioral Characteristics
. . . what happens when you don't leave a tip for a server
. . . what happens when you complain to a manager about mold in your tub
. . . what happens when you look up and just stare for 60-90 seconds

What about something with Mission Space. You have two versions of that ride, which gives you different variables.

There is also Sum of All Thrills in Innoventions, where you can design your own ride. Before you go, you can use this tool - http://www.mathmovesu.com/SOAT-designtable/ - to see if you can come up with a project. It's the same design tool that you use when you are doing the ride, but there you actually get to ride what you design.

LET'S SEE:
1) Concierge Reactions
. . . when people smile
. . . when people smile and are friendly
. . . when people are sullen and nasty
2) Crowd Dynamics
. . . the action of people when there is an obstruction (like a chair) in a path
. . . the action of people when someone announces a sale somewhere
. . . the action of people when someone faces toward the back in an elevator
. . . the action of people when the check-in line is slow after a DME bus drops off
3) Behavioral Characteristics
. . . what happens when you don't leave a tip for a server
. . . what happens when you complain to a manager about mold in your tub
. . . what happens when you look up and just stare for 60-90 seconds

I was thinking the same thing but according to NinaBella, experimenting on people is frowned upon. :guilty:

Add to 3. What happens when you take away FP- from only one resort.

I was thinking the same thing but according to NinaBella, experimenting on people is frowned upon. :guilty:

Add to 3. What happens when you take away FP- from only one resort.

I wasn't trying to discourage anything. I just meant to check with the school on what their rules are for the project. My kids school did not allow the experiment to include people or animals; but this doesn't mean OP kids school won't allow it. I do think most schools require the topic to be approved, so if the teacher approves it, it should be fine. I have four kids with the oldest being 21, so we have done a few science projects. pixiedust:

There are these FANTASTIC videos called "the Science of Disney Imagineering" -- we got them through our library.

http://dep.disney.go.com/imagineering.html

Each one takes a scientific principle and explores it in the way that it is used in Disney attractions. You could definitely start with those for ideas and direction!
Topics include: Electricity, Trajectory, Fluids, Energy, Gravity, Newton's 3 Laws of Motion, Friction, Animal Adaptations, Magnetism, and I think there's more...

When I was that age I did an experiment on bacteria - like took a swab on a surface and rubbed it in a petri dish and let it grow. Then wiped the area with a antibacterial spray and another with vinagar. Then waited a day or two and swiped those, put in petri dishes to see what grew. To see if those solutions actually reduced bacteria

You can definitly do that in a hotel room or on a railing at Disney World :thumbsup2

There are these FANTASTIC videos called "the Science of Disney Imagineering" -- we got them through our library.

http://dep.disney.go.com/imagineering.html

Each one takes a scientific principle and explores it in the way that it is used in Disney attractions. You could definitely start with those for ideas and direction!
Topics include: Electricity, Trajectory, Fluids, Energy, Gravity, Newton's 3 Laws of Motion, Friction, Animal Adaptations, Magnetism, and I think there's more...

Nice link! We are going in December and this is a good way to combine learning and fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter