• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sci Fi total meal time at opening?

Rach3975

DIS Veteran
We have a 10:45 ADR for a day that Sci Fi opens at 10:45. Is it naive of me to think there won't be a wait and we'll be seated on time? If we are, about how long does a meal there take? Is it reasonable to think we'd be out by 11:45? We'll be ordering entrees, drinks, and dessert, but we could get the desserts to go if we're running late. Just want to make sure we have enough time to get to anything scheduled afterward. Thanks!

We typically spend 60-75 minutes at Sci-Fi. Getting there at opening bodes very well for your chances to be done in an hour without feeling like you are rushing. The movie loop is 47 minutes long, for reference.

Why scheduling a meal so that you have to hurry? It boggles my mind.
You can likely be out in an hour if you need to.

When we were there two weeks ago the 47-minute loop was back to the same point as when we entered just as we were walking out. We only had drinks and entrees though, no dessert.

i would schedule your fp for 12:00-1:00 or even 11:45-12:45. While you can probably be out in an hour or so, I agree with a pp that said why go and rush the meal/experience? if your going to rush it, why not just go to a counter service, grab something and save Sci-Fi for dinner when maybe your not so rushed?

I agree with getting the FPs for 12-1. At times, you may need to wait to be seated if they have a large number of people with ADRs at opening.
Also, I see no reason to rush through a meal to get to a FP. Relax, enjoy the meal. We usually get through the entire movie reel once and overlap a little.

Why scheduling a meal so that you have to hurry? It boggles my mind.
You can likely be out in an hour if you need to.

While you can probably be out in an hour or so, I agree with a pp that said why go and rush the meal/experience? if your going to rush it, why not just go to a counter service, grab something and save Sci-Fi for dinner when maybe your not so rushed?

Unfortunately, our only day at HS this trip is a half day on our departure day. On our 2 previous trips we haven't been able to get an ADR for Sci Fi, and it will probably be at least 4 years until we're back at WDW. If it doesn't work out we'll just do counter service or keep the ADR and only get apps and drinks, but we'd love to do it for an early lunch if we can.

Unfortunately, our only day at HS this trip is a half day on our departure day. On our 2 previous trips we haven't been able to get an ADR for Sci Fi, and it will probably be at least 4 years until we're back at WDW. If it doesn't work out we'll just do counter service or keep the ADR and only get apps and drinks, but we'd love to do it for an early lunch if we can.

I've rarely gotten Sci-Fi on my 180 day mark but with the touring plans reservation finder, ive always gotten one. I would try there. Good luck! :)

Last edited:

More than once DH and I have booked a Sci Fi ADR for 11:00 AM (which was the opening time then) and been walking out by noon (without hurrying our meal) to depart WDW via car or DME. So I think you'll be fine. You could ask to pay the check when your last course is served, to expedite your departure, if you want.

We've been eating at Sci Fi since 1995 - just love the movies, it's like being at the drive-in when we were kids!

Most of the time when I have scheduled an ADR for the opening time it takes 5-15 minutes for us to get seated. At the SciFi Dine in we almost always are paying the bill as the movie clips repeat. I believe the clip loop is 40-45 minutes long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter