Sci-Fi Diner in April

astroMD

Earning My Ears
Hey gang,

I apologize if this is in the wrong place. We are looking to take my two boys to Hollywood Studios in late April and were shocked we could not get a reservation all day for Sci-Fi Diner. Is there any chance of getting in without a reservation? My nine year old saw the pictures and he was so excited to eat there, I would hate to let him down.

Any tips, or anything else I can do to try to get a reservation?

--J

There is always a chance they will take walk ups but don’t bet on it.

Just keep checking the website and see if something pops up.

Use touring plans reservation finder. Just google it. They'll notify you when the ADR you want becomes available. You have to be able to jump on it quickly, but it almost always gets me what I want.

It's always free to ask if they can take a walk up (and you can always ask earlier in the day so if they tell you it'll be three hours you can come back 3 hours later) but I would not count on it.

If you're really set on eating there, try the following: keep checking for an ADR (you can also use touring plans and set up a reservation finder), especially check the day before for ADRs people have cancelled by midnight to avoid the cancellation fee, check on the day-of as well. Depending on your party size, try finding ADRs for smaller groupings (for example if you have 6 people try an ADR for 2 and 4 people or 3 and 3, ask to be seated together when you arrive and that shouldn't be a problem).

Sci Fi seems harder to get these days. I just got one last week with the TP reservation finder, but I’ve been hoping for a better time with no luck.

Also, keep in mind that they generally seat walk ups at the tables at the back of the restaurant and not in the actual cars.

Sci-Fi was my hardest reservation to get this past November. Was able to finally get a reservation using TP reservation finder.

Reactions: maw
Not sure why you are shocked that there are no reservations available.
You're going during what is likely many school's Easter break and you're only trying to book 6-7 weeks out when you could have booked 180 days out.
It is highly doubtful that you could just walk up.
My advice would be to just keep checking. Even check day of.

You're going during what is likely many school's Easter break and you're only trying to book 6-7 weeks out when you could have booked 180 days out.
It is highly doubtful that you could just walk up.
My advice would be to just keep checking. Even check day of.

It’s the poster’s first post. Maybe he/she is brand new to WDW. Don’t need an attitude with someone new to the boards.

Relatedly, welcome to the DIS, @astroMD!

Keep checking, all the way to the day of. Sometimes they’ll take walk ups but those don’t get seated in the cars. (There are some tables in the back.) However, it’s unlikely since you’re going during a busy time. People do cancel all the time, so just keep looking.

I think walk-ups may sometimes be seated in cars, if they agree to be "hitchhikers" - sitting in the third row of a car that's already occupied in the first couple of rows with folks with reservations. Don't know if this would help the OP, because if they have at least three in their party, they would need two rows of a car - not sure how often there's just the first row of a car occupied. If I were given this option to get in without reservations, I'd take it - I never even noticed the hitchhikers they seated in the back of our car last time we went.

Also, keep in mind that they generally seat walk ups at the tables at the back of the restaurant and not in the actual cars.

Sci-Fi was my hardest reservation to get this past November. Was able to finally get a reservation using TP reservation finder.
Yes it was the same for us in November! I couldn't get the time we wanted for April either even six months out.

That is a tough place to walk up to. Keep trying to get a reservation. I went last March in 2017. Most of DHS was under construction, The crowds were minimal at that park and we had to wait about 1/2 hour even with a reservation. Dont give up though...its still early and I bet there will be lunch cancellations. Lots of people change park plans when they are at Disney and end up cancelling their lunch reservation. Also, some people on the deluxe dining plan tend to overbook their meals (3 per day) then realize they cant eat that much and cancel their lunch reservations (self included on my first trip on the DxDDP). When Im in the parks, I find a lot of availability that wasnt there before I left home. Good luck!

Believe it or not Disboard members are only about 10% of WDW goers. There is a huge population out there that has no idea what an ADR is or have any idea they need to book at 180. There is no other vacation spot in the world you need to plan every second of your day so far in advance. Most think its just like a fabulous amusement park and they can walk up to (possibly wait 30 minutes at peak times) a restaurant and get seated. How would you know unless you are a die hard Disney fan or have been there before? This is OPs first post. Lets welcome her/him and cross our fingers she gets a reservation and makes her/his son happy.

Hey gang,

I apologize if this is in the wrong place. We are looking to take my two boys to Hollywood Studios in late April and were shocked we could not get a reservation all day for Sci-Fi Diner. Is there any chance of getting in without a reservation? My nine year old saw the pictures and he was so excited to eat there, I would hate to let him down.

Any tips, or anything else I can do to try to get a reservation?

--J

We’ve gotten in as walk ups on our last two trips (both during busy times). We waited 45-60 minutes each time.
I second the recommendation to use the reservation finder on Touring Plans if you want to have a set reservation. Good luck.

Another vote for touring plan’s reservation finder! I got everything I wanted at the time I wanted it thanks to the rez finder (and this was during the Christmas season.) The last one came through the day before we needed it, so if you don’t find one right away don’t despair. Good luck!

Yes it was the same for us in November! I couldn't get the time we wanted for April either even six months out.

Believe it or not Disboard members are only about 10% of WDW goers. There is a huge population out there that has no idea what an ADR is or have any idea they need to book at 180. There is no other vacation spot in the world you need to plan every second of your day so far in advance. Most think its just like a fabulous amusement park and they can walk up to (possibly wait 30 minutes at peak times) a restaurant and get seated. How would you know unless you are a die hard Disney fan or have been there before? This is OPs first post. Lets welcome her/him and cross our fingers she gets a reservation and makes her/his son happy.

FWIW, there’s no “need” to plan that far out unless it’s a 100% must do, hard to get place.

My wife and I enjoyed our first trip to SciFi last November, and it was a spur of the moment “A”DR on the day of. We had time to kill before a TSMM fastpass and there just happened to be a 3:30 availability. Checking app got us availability later that week too. Went back for dinner on the last night of our trip before JBJB.

Keep checking up until the day you're there. People hoard reservations and don't have to let go of them until the day before, so we've been able to grab a reservation even on the same day because someone else probably booked 8 million ADRs and didn't cancel them until the last minute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter