Scathing report from Frommer's on Genie+/LL

Yep, last weekend we went to the parks to see the artists that were signing in Disneyana. We wanted to try a seasonal food menu at a restaurant that wasn't open until 11. We walked the circumference of the park to get our steps in, rode Columbia, road the train around the park, got our food and were out of the park by noon.
I believe Bob Chapek referred to this as actions of the unfavorables.

I haven't been in lines when 100 LL people were let through vs 15 or so standby. How common is that? Is it typical, or the worst case scenario?

This is essentially what we experienced on multiple rides at DL/DCA last month. Space Mtn reopened after a closure and we were in line when the standby said 20 minutes. It turned out to be close to 90 minutes. I counted 25-30 LL for about 4 ppl being let through in standby. Sometimes worse because it was the entire LL.

This is essentially what we experienced on multiple rides at DL/DCA last month. Space Mtn reopened after a closure and we were in line when the standby said 20 minutes. It turned out to be close to 90 minutes. I counted 25-30 LL for about 4 ppl being let through in standby. Sometimes worse because it was the entire LL.

After a closure is a whole different scenario, unfortunately. Because they HAVE to let in the people who paid extra before they let in the people who didn't, and sometimes it is an absolute mess in the LL and standby depending on how long the closure was. We bought the ILL for RSR on Sunday because my family member that was with me wanted a picture together and didn't want to do single rider, and when we first showed up, the ride had been temporarily down, so the ILL line was down the street and around the corner. We went to guest services and had them give us a later ILL window and came back later when it had calmed down a LOT. Really sucks for standby though.

It is for sure NOT a perfect system, and while there have been minor changes that help (being able to modify a LL is GREAT), there need to be so many more changes to make it better for EVERYONE for sure.

After a closure is a whole different scenario, unfortunately.
No, very true that after a closure is different.

But we had the same experiences everywhere - the bigger problem at Space on that day was that the standby line wait time was clearly inaccurate.

It is tough when you are already spending a ton to go to DL in the first place. I get it, it's just not amazing to actually be in the standby line sometimes.

My biggest complaint with how G+ works is that it puts DAS people in the LL. And the LL can often be 10-30 minutes, as mentioned. DAS is for people who struggle to wait in lines. So a 30 minute wait (on top of the wait their already had outside the queue) isn't acceptable at all.
100% agree with this. In the scenario I mentioned above about RSR on Sunday, I even said to my family member, "What a bunch of BS for DAS users to have to be stuck in that line. Misses the whole point of DAS!"

If the LL is essentially a walk on or close to it, then it's likely fine for most DAS users. But when it gets clogged up like that, there needs to be exceptions made.

A couple of trips a year, I go with someone who gets DAS and while we've been lucky with how it worked out with us thus far. I don't think any of us would be pleased if we got stuck in one of those clogged lines.

Yeah, we ended up with a long DAS return at Rise in WDW because it had been broken down earlier so I was nervous about the wait. I honestly don't even know what kind of solution they could have for this problem at this point.

Ugh. We had the same happen after a closure. Wait time said 30 min. We waited over 2 hours. After that trip and experience, we begrudgingly started buying genie. We do not like genie, but waiting in stand by lines that hardly move is not enjoyable either. We all get extra tired and grumpy in a long slow line. We pay a lot of money to travel to the parks, and we want to enjoy our time more while we are there instead of being miserable in a crazy line.

The lines and waits look bad on social media, but the average wait time with LL is 20 minutes or less once scanned. Scan time is maybe 5 minutes. The Standby line is what suffers. Fix the Maintenance/Ride repair teams due to the constant breakdowns. Update the way MEP LLs are given out when an attraction does breakdown. Fix the DAS abuse. Disney will not change except to raise the price slightly until there is a drastic downturn in guest purchases.

My biggest complaint with how G+ works is that it puts DAS people in the LL. And the LL can often be 10-30 minutes, as mentioned. DAS is for people who struggle to wait in lines. So a 30 minute wait (on top of the wait their already had outside the queue) isn't acceptable at all.
I agree. I don't know what else they could do, but if possible it would be great to have another line for DAS users.

I have noticed recently a lot of the Vloggers have gotten more negative about the way things are going at Disneyland. The lightning lane @ Pirates has been a huge poo poo from them in general but there have been many more complaints about the park over the last month. At one point they were all harping on the same issues so I figured they maybe talked and decided to all complain together to see if there was any movement. I am not sure if that was the case but it was odd to have 4-5 of them all hitting on the same issues.

Its very rare that you see Dave from Freshbaked voice complaints but even he has been shaking his head recently on some of the decisions.

Agreed with the comments here that it is far worse at WDW.

Buzz Lightyear being the most egregious one I noticed. The 80/20 ratio was followed but in reality that looks like: The family of 4 in standby has to watch 16-20 (depending on party sizes) people pass ahead of them. The family of 4 behind them watches 40 people pass them before they can go. Meanwhile the people who paid for LL get irate whenever the standby line is moving, regardless of how many switchbacks they are walking through. The perception is important.

It seems that the system, while getting more people on more rides, is making almost everyone unhappy, for various reasons.

It depends on the CM that are working the rides on any given day. Last year on a scorching hot day, the wait time for HM was listed as 45 minutes. We got in the standby line and it was well over 2 hours. It was too hot for me to stand in the sun (not moving) for that long, so I was allowed to sit in the shade by the entrance while my spouse waited in line.

While sitting by the entrance for two hours, I was able to see what was happening. The CM at the entrance said that the LL people were not supposed to stop moving. As long as there were LL people entering, the standby line didn't move. There was also a group of people walking in the exit with a paper indicating that they had some sort of special need. With both of those lines entering with priority over standby, the wait time was over double what was posted.

A couple of weeks ago we were on Guardians and one CM working the lines had a similar philosophy. LL filed in and then a handful of standby were allowed on. When there was a turn over of CM, the flow was much more efficient. Waive LL in until there is a natural break. Allow 20-30 standby and then start waiving LL back in again.
I have seen and experienced the WDW lines exactly as you have described.
Line management varies with differing ratios based on how the cast member at the merge point manages the lines.
Can be a frustrating experience.

Genie+ is price discrimination in action. Companies are always looking for a way to take more money from people willing to give it. At Disneyland, I think the system works well because of the large number of locals and passholders. It gives people visiting from out of town, like myself, the ability to pay more for a better experience. By not providing an option for an unlimited add-on to MKers, I think Disneyland finally “fixed” MaxPass/FP. The amount of time I wait in a LL is far less than what I used to with FP/MP.

If they were to completely get rid of the system, I would spend more time in lines and get on fewer rides on our visits than I do now. So personally, it is why I appreciate the system.

Note: it sounds like the whole system is far less workable at WDW. I think it’s because of the attendance makeup. Far more out of towners and people willing to spend more for an upgraded experience.
It's less workable at WDW because there are way fewer rides at each park. Totally changes the experience with rides and wait lines.

I have noticed recently a lot of the Vloggers have gotten more negative about the way things are going at Disneyland. The lightning lane @ Pirates has been a huge poo poo from them in general but there have been many more complaints about the park over the last month. At one point they were all harping on the same issues so I figured they maybe talked and decided to all complain together to see if there was any movement. I am not sure if that was the case but it was odd to have 4-5 of them all hitting on the same issues.

Its very rare that you see Dave from Freshbaked voice complaints but even he has been shaking his head recently on some of the decisions.
These are the same vloggers that don't ever use Genie+. They see the lines, but don't actually know what it is like.

Howry, I suppose it should go in a new thread, but I'd be curious to know what issues even the non-whiny people are raising concerns about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter