• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Scared to go Solo!

The Princess Half Marathon Weekend absolutely has a 10K! :) It occurs on the Saturday of race weekend. For more information on upcoming races and when registration opens, here's a helpful pic:

run-disney-calendar-2016-17.jpg

Please be advised: registration for the Princess Half Marathon Weekend sells out FAST, so you have to be on the ball about it. I believe there is already a thread for the 2017 Princess Half Marathon on the W.I.S.H. board under the Events/Competition tab.

I also stays solo at POFQ and would recommend it. I requested the building just to the right when facing the pool (don't remember the number, I think it was building four or five) when I did the online check in and explained that I was a woman traveling alone and wanted to be close to the lobby. They gave it to me and it was perfect. A few steps one way and I was at the bus stop or food court, a few steps the other way and I was at the boat.

I went solo for marathon weekend in 2013. There are tons of solo runners, so I think it's the best time of year to go solo. People are motivated to run at Disney for all sorts of reasons, so you wouldn't be out of place. Between visiting the expo, running, and spectating, there's so much to do that you don't need anyone else for.

I think POP is one of the best resorts for a race weekend because it's close to WWOS and Epcot for the start/finish. I felt very safe there, too.

I'm about to go solo for the first time...in less than 4 weeks! and im terrified! But im also crazy excited. I think you find out who you really are, and are your best, true self, when out in the world alone. I say, do it!

A little background. I am in my late 20's. I thought I was getting engaged recently and then my boyfriend broke up with me for a pretty sad reason. I now realize he never really cared about me but I am left alone. I am overweight, looking to change that, and as part of that change I have decided to run a Disney 10K race. It probably won't be until 2017. But I am going to be going alone at this point. I don't know if I am more scared of going to Disney alone (it's so huge and intimidating) or the race. But, I need to change my life and I love going to Disney so here I am.

I know it is a year away as I may try to go for marathon weekend or the princess weekend (I have to check if they have a 10K or not, I don't remember). But planning has to happen in the next few months.

Are there any tips some of you veterans solo travelers have for me? I make decent money, although I am not loaded by any means. I have been to Disney many times, just never alone. So I know where I like to stay but are any hotels safer for a solo girl? Are there any hotels better for these races? Please tell me I didn't make a crazy decision to do any of this. Everyone I know is making fun of me for all these changes, are they right?

I may have bitten off more than I can chew.
I'm sorry to hear about your breakup, but please don't be afraid to take a solo trip. I've gone solo the past two years in a row and I love it! I'm not an adventurous person at all but I'm familiar with WDW so I feel comfortable. My resort of choice is POFQ but I think any of the resorts would be fine. I'm not familiar with the races so I can't tell you anything about that, but I think you'll have a great time! You'll get to do whatever you want to do whenever you want to do it without having to worry about coordinating with anyone else. So it should be a stress-free vacation!

I also stays solo at POFQ and would recommend it. I requested the building just to the right when facing the pool (don't remember the number, I think it was building four or five) when I did the online check in and explained that I was a woman traveling alone and wanted to be close to the lobby. They gave it to me and it was perfect. A few steps one way and I was at the bus stop or food court, a few steps the other way and I was at the boat.

I'm heading down as a solo at the end of this month and staying at POFQ. I'm glad to hear that they've accommodated that in the past.

I'm about to go solo for the first time...in less than 4 weeks! and im terrified! But im also crazy excited. I think you find out who you really are, and are your best, true self, when out in the world alone. I say, do it!

I just did my first solo trip in December for a week, and I've gotta say it was wonderful, I was shocked at how good a time I had! It was great to come and go as I pleased, eat when and where I wanted, without having to worry about anyone else.

I will admit that sit down meals were a little weird, but that's because I'm not used to dining alone. I stayed on property (Yacht Club, WONDERFUL resort), and also rented a car and went to Universal Studios for one day.

Am already contemplating my next solo trip!

People are jealous - ignore them (I know a lot easier to say that to do) - it is your life - so go live it.

^ THIS!

I travel a lot (not just to Disney) and I have one female "friend" who always makes snide comments like "oooh you must have a sugar daddy tucked away somewhere! That must be nice!" Like, really? A single woman in this day and age can't treat herself and manage her money so she can travel whenever and wherever she wants? It's jealousy. Just ignore!

Anywhoo...I've been to Disney solo 3 times now, and just booked my first solo cruise. I was nervous at first, but when you actually get there, that will all melt away! Being able to do what you want when you want to do it, is an amazing privilege. You'll meet plenty of people around the Parks, and if you do find yourself feeling lonely, strike up a conversation with the nearest CM!

Staying on property will definitely lessen your stress. I've stayed solo at Yacht Club once, and Wilderness Lodge twice; never did I feel unsafe or uncomfortable at any time of night.

Since you're doing the 10k, I would think you'll probably "run" into a lot of other solo travelers...go, live in the moment, and have fun! :)

True! Unfortunately the one I really wanted to do (the Everest 5K Challenge at AK) they discontinued. So now I have started thinking I could do a 10K (have walked 5K in the past), but I need to decide which one now. And then I think maybe I want to do a Disneyland one and take a trip to CA?? Ahhh...Disney has too many choices! haha!!

First of all, :hug:. I know you're going through it right now, but don't be so sure that a year from now you won't have someone to go with you!

I travel to WDW once a year alone. Usually for my birthday in February and I look forward to it every year.

A little over 2 years ago I decided that I was going to train for and run the Princess Half Marathon. It was my 40th birthday gift to myself...proving that I could do 13.1 miles, getting in shape, setting a good example for my kids, plus I got a few days in Disney alone! It was a win-win! I have done two Princess Half weekends now (I am skipping the race this year because of an ankle injury), and I'm seriously considering signing up for the Glass Slipper Challenge (all three races that are held that weekend) for next February. You are most definitely NOT insane! Don't underestimate yourself.

I leave next week for a 5 day trip alone and I always stay at Pop Century when I'm alone, just because it's one of my favorites and I like the area. I have never felt unsafe. I'm even a nightowl and often out late. If you use common sense and are aware of your surroundings, you'll be fine. Its really wonderful to go alone...getting to do what you want, when you want.

If I can answer any questions for you about the PHM weekend races or processes, feel free to PM me. Go for it! You can totally do it!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I haven't been on the boards much in the last week. I do read the posts though.

I think even if I meet someone I would still go alone. I think I need to do some stuff on my own for a while. I need to prove to myself I am strong. I will do a race, I may even be crazy and do a 1/2 marathon. If I do it during marathon weekend it gives me almost a year to get ready. I think if I work hard enough I can do it.

I am even getting excited about it all. Scared but excited.

I have been looking at Disney 10Ks. It's too late for this year's, but I think the Star Wars @ WDW in April 2017 is going to be my goal!! Sign up is August 2nd & I've got my calendar marked! :chewy::darth:

Echoing the others that I've always felt very safe at WDW. I worked there on the College Program and since I was always a bit of a loner I ended up tromping all over property by myself during my free time, day and night. Always felt safer there than in the city at home, honestly, though of course one should still exercise all the normal cautions one does in everyday life.

I think it's good to go it alone. Taking your first solo trip is a big step, but you're right, it helps you show yourself that you can be independent and strong. It sounds like you're pretty comfortable with going it alone for regular activities at home, so my guess is that you'll get there and get right into it and have a blast. Can't speak to the race aspect (I've never even run a full mile in my life, haha -- I'm also starting a training program, but I'm just aiming to run a 5K here at home).

Anyway, I'd say if you have a favorite property, just book that property. They're all safe, it's just a matter of which is going to make you feel the most at home. When I can afford it I prefer to go moderate or above for atmosphere's sake, both in terms of the resorts being significantly nicer than the values, and in terms of the values' guests tending to be younger and more raucous. Still, better to go value than not go at all, and I've made that compromise in the past and enjoyed the trip just fine.

I will be making my first solo this year and I have to admit I am a little intimidated. I am sure everything will be fine, but the dining solo and potential of some weirdo realizing I am alone has crossed my mind. Of course, if anybody asks me of I am there solo, I will tell them I am not....just to be on the safe side. My husband is being very limited as to where I can stay. Has to be a main building, no outside buildings that are in dark areas and no outside entrances into rooms. In other words, I will be staying Deluxe. LOL

I was so nervous about going solo last year. It was my first solo trip ever. Let me tell you... It was the biggest blessing in disguise. I'm actually in the process of planning another solo trip now! I never once felt unsafe. I used common sense and was always aware of my surroundings though. I thought I would be sad being by myself at times, like while watching Wishes (as you mentioned.) One night while watching Wishes, a cast member who had just gotten off work came over and made small talk with me about the popcorn I was eating. LOL Needless to say, we ended up watching Wishes together and chatted for awhile afterward. We also made a magic moment for another guest. The thing I was most nervous about ended up being the most magical part of my trip. You'll make small talk with people around you in line too. I never really felt alone despite the fact that it was a solo trip.

Kudos to you for being Brave! I say go for the Disney Princess 10K! Being around so many awesome women will be even more empowering for you. I met so many lovely people this past weekend when I did the Half Marathon! I was by myself too!

This is just my opinion, but I think since you might be solo traveling, I would try for one of the moderate or deluxe resorts. Saratoga Springs and Port Orleans French Quarter are amazing and full of adult fun things to do! (Bob at the River Roost piano bar...hilarious!).

You may even enjoy the Wine & Dine atmosphere, but that race is in November 2016. There isn't a 10K (well not 100% sure there won't be this year but I seriously doubt it), but there is a 5K! Might be a great way to dip your toes into the Run Disney world!

Best of luck to you!!!

I would encourage anyone thinking about going solo to WDW to do it, I've been going for the last 6 years on my own after going with other people and it really is enjoyable to be able to do what you want, when you want and how you want. There are people, generally young families, who will give you funny looks when you queue for a character and so on, oddly older childless couples seem to get why people go without kids (hmmm). It's a great place for women of any age to visit alone, it's safer than many places (staying on site is recommended) great shopping, great eats and great chilling out time. Disney would do well to market themselves more to solo visitors as we have more disposable income to splash out as we have no one else, but, ourselves to please.

I was on my fifth (sixth?) solo trip this past week, right after the Princess Run weekend. Lots of single females around the parks, and lots of women only small traveling groups, more than I have seen on my other trips, so think that's a great time to go. Did four TS meals this time, and at three of them there were other solo diners that I could spot from my seat, two were other solo females, one male. And in just that short of a trip, I spotted at least three other solo females at my resort. I stayed at ASMusic this time and felt safe the whole time. It is a LONG walk that can get empty feeling all the way back to the Country Fair section, but it was never creepy. Only once did I get leery of my safety solo, and that was one time on the Boardwalk on a weeknight - it was dark and probably about 10 pm. It was just too deserted and maybe it was the water being right there made me uncomfortable. That's the only time I've felt concerned for my safety.

I tend to avoid The World Showcase at EPCOT at night as a solo traveler because it does tend to feel a bit romantic at night, and then I might get lonely. Otherwise, I love the freedom some much, I'll probably become unhappy if suddenly my boyfriend wanted to go with me everytime! I would miss my solo trips.

This trip, I was just grumpy due to being wet (it had rained) and wind blown, so I changed my plan and went back to my resort for a nap. Couple hours later, I headed back out and had a great evening. Traveling with companions, that would have never happened... All my traveling companions refuse to take that long of a break and go back to the resort like that mid day. Solo, it was MY choice.

The value resorts are cheapest, but do have potentially the longest walk back to your room at night. If that might creep you out, save enough to book at a moderate or deluxe. I really liked CSR solo as a mod choice. Didn't love my CBR solo trip because the walk from my room to the food court was SO long, but that will vary based on the section you are in. But, CBR (and CSR), the bus stop was close by. For deluxe, I've rented points and stayed at BLT and AKV solo. Loved both. Also done Pop solo, and I do like Pop slightly more than the AS resorts.

Anyway, setting the race as a goal is a great choice! Got me thinking about the same thing......

If I waited for others to go with, I'd never go anywhere.

^^THIS!!
Enjoy life at every opportunity. I've done two solo WDW vacations at Pop Century where there is always lots of fun going on every day. Absolutely love Pop and it's VERY well-lit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter