Scared to cruise now....anyone else?

Traveler4Life

Earning My Ears
Taking our first cruise next month and after watching/listening to the Triumph stories I'm getting nervous. I guess these things happen but the excitement of vacation usually overcomes thinking about the what-ifs. Is anyone nervous about cruising now due to the recent incident(s)?

Nope. Can't wait to get back onto a Disney ship.

From what I've read, the Triumph has had issues in the past, so it was just a matter of time before something happened. I feel horrible for those poor passengers.

The one thing I can't understand is this: if they can get people from Carnival ONTO the Triumph while it's floating in the Gulf, why can't they start getting passengers OFF? I mean, those poor souls have got to be sick, and the ship's got to be a floating biohazard by now.

I'm not. I love cruising and still find it to be one of the safest modes of travel. Things happen and I understand that this is the exception, not the rule. Every time I get into my car, I risk accident or incident. That does not stop me from driving. I won't let this incident stop me from cruising either.

I feel for the people that are stranded on that ship. I am sure I would be absolutely miserable if I were in their shoes. But I even a terrible ordeal like that one would not kill my love of cruising. At least I don't think it would.

Kim&Chris said:

Me either!!!!!!! I'm definitely not going to stop cruising 8)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I am not worried at all.
My biggest issue is I have to wait until October 2014 for our next cruise- yikes! But hoping for some GT rates so we can go this coming winter. ;)
You'll have a great time!

From what I've read, the Triumph has had issues in the past, so it was just a matter of time before something happened. I feel horrible for those poor passengers.
The one thing I can't understand is this: if they can get people from Carnival ONTO the Triumph while it's floating in the Gulf, why can't they start getting passengers OFF? I mean, those poor souls have got to be sick, and the ship's got to be a floating biohazard by now.

I read that same thing! One week before it happened a passenger who just got off that ship posted on cruise critic that it shouldnt be sailing and they were having engine troubles and missed a port because of it. Now if a passenger can tell, it must have been running bad!

Taking our first cruise next month and after watching/listening to the Triumph stories I'm getting nervous. I guess these things happen but the excitement of vacation usually overcomes thinking about the what-ifs. Is anyone nervous about cruising now due to the recent incident(s)?

My family and I will sail DCL and RCL too for that matter, no problem,

I will not go near any line owned by Carnival Inc. They have some serious vessel design and operational issues. Its not just the triumph.

AKK

I have been on 2 Carnival cruises and this will be my first Disney Cruise. No, I'm not afraid whatsoever to cruise. Things can happen and you just have to take that chance. It's not common but you can't live in fear the rest of your life because something did happen on a cruise ship. Planes crash but does it stop you from never flying again? Life is about taking chances and if you don't, you'll never get to experience life. Just my 2 cents!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Not at all!!

My next cruise this October will be my 11th DCL....and I am counting down the days!!!

Things happen in life.....you can control how you react and handle it.

Sent from my iPod touch using DISBoards

I'm not afraid to cruise. There are car accidents all the time and I still get in a car.

Not at all worried. We're looking forward to booking a southern Caribbean and an Alaska cruise with DCL. RCCL would be our second choice.

NOT AT ALL! In fact, I just booked Alaska for August 2014 today. I don't know what I'm going to do for a year and a half. Maybe take another cruise in between.

:cool1:

Not scared at all. Accidents happen, in this case, while the situation surely is most uncomfortable, there aren't any injuries or fatalities,so that doesn't scare me off cruising.
I have to admit I'm a bit scared of driving, especially of longer distances onthe highway, this is by far the most dangerous way to travel and whenever I get into the car I think of that fact so I avoid driving whenever possible.

Believe it or not, this will actually be a good thing for future cruise travel. Incidents like this have other cruiselines watching....and learning from the mistakes Carival has made. They are likely reviewing their own procedures and making sure they have plans and resouces in place in the event something like this happens to one of their ships.

For instance, I just read they just now put another generator on board to give them more power so they can serve hot food. If I'm the 'crisis management guy' at DCL I am taking notes.....'find out what generator capability we have....how long would it take to helicopter out more generators if need be....where are the gens....do we need to stage some at CC or in Mexico...do we have logistics plane to ferry food to the ship....how can we deal with the sewage issues so we don't have the issues Carinval is having....could we charter commercial planes to get people home faster..."

Unfortunate that this happened but in the long run, it will make the cruiselines be more prepared IMO.

To be honest....yes. I was a little after reading that CNN article online last night and then everyones comments bellow it about awful things I had never thought about! (Note to self, do not read about bad cruise stories before taking first cruise!) But I felt better this morning. (Enough to book an Alaska cruise in summer 2014! :lmao:) I am not saying that I am not at all concerned. I am. A little. But stuff can go wrong on every vacation. Nothing is 100% safe. Airplanes, trains, hotels, all have issues and these things are unlikely to happen. So I look at it like I can go and have fun and enjoy myself or worry myself to death and lock myself in my house. Going to do the first one. At least that is my current plan. :rotfl2:

To off load any passangers and crew would be a nightmare. Tendering is horrible and they can not safely do that to 4000 people. They choose Mobile due to the fact it is used as a dry dock facility as well. The cruise industry will survive. Just like it did after the Concordia.

We're not worried either. We literally just got off the Fantasy last weekend and just booked an Alaskan cruise for next summer. That being said, I wouldn't sail anything but DCL - that's how my hubby and I feel.

Not scared. Just the nail in the coffin for cruising for me (at least for a while).

Carnival is not doing anything for those passengers because of the liability, not out of any concern for their safety. If they tried transferring the passengers to another ship, and something happened, the lawsuits would be unbelievable! There will be lawsuits due to the long "imprisonment", but those don't have as much teeth as a wrongful death suit...

I really don't want to put myself in the position of someone being able to keep me hostage in such a situation for days on end.

Sayhello

I read that same thing! One week before it happened a passenger who just got off that ship posted on cruise critic that it shouldnt be sailing and they were having engine troubles and missed a port because of it. Now if a passenger can tell, it must have been running bad!

The company sent notices to all passengers a couple cruises prior to the one with the fire giving them the option to cancel because only one engine was working.

I am looking forward to our DCL cruise next month! I am confident that DCL takes care of their ships when necessary and not allow them to remain in disrepair. I'm not saying that DCL is perfect. They know that whatever happens it will be posted here or elsewhere on the web fairly quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter