Scared about POR bus transportation!!!

You'll love it there. It's one of my favorite resorts. We've never had an issue with the buses there. I have stayed in three different areas at POR, two of which had their own bus stop close by. We decided to use the main bus stop for the most part.
All of the resorts have had bad transportation reports in the past. The only one that seems to be immune is AKL...you don't hear about them too much. But I will tell you...my worst bus experiences have been at the deluxes. I would much rather stand out in that sun at POP and know that a bus would be there shortly than stand/sit in the nicely covered bus stops at the deluxes, waiting for close to 20 minutes for a bus almost every single time!!!

I'm sorry to say but we did have one heck of a horrible time with the bus transportation this past Feb. We went the first week of Feb, which is not a busy time. Less buses probably run during slower times, but we have been to other resorts including POR when it was still called Dixie Landings, and we NEVER experienced such bad service!

First of all POR is such a beautiful resort! We do love it there, but it is a shame their bus service stinks! Since most times we had to share the bus with POFQ, we either ended up standing, which wouldn't bother me usually, except on the way home when our feet were killing us, or there were too many people in front of us waiting to get on the more than half full bus from guests from POFQ, so we ended up waiting quite awhile longer for another bus to come along.

This time we are going to try POFQ, at least the bus stops and drops off there first, and it is a smaller resort with similar theming. Hopefully it will be better! At least it is impossible for it to be worse. (regarding the bus service)

Tracy Savage said:
People say to stay at the POFQ. Its the same buses but you get picked up and dropped of first.

And that's why I don't stay at POR. I love the fact that there's always room on the bus cause you get picked up first and by the time the last pick up at POR, the bus is already full.

It is also nice to be dropped off first, then this way you don't have to be on the overly crowded bus too long.

Karnak said:
I don't understand the comment about the French Quarter having crowded busses. There is only one bus stop at the French Quarter, and it ALWAYS arrives empty in the mornings. How can an empty bus be crowded? I've never seen enough of a crowd at the French Quarter bus stop to fill the bus, even at peak times in the AM. Crowded? I think not.

But I do agree with those who advise not to be too concerned about Disney's transportation system. It is quite remarkable, and I've often thought about the outstanding job they do in general.

Enjoy.
Yes, it arrives empty, but when you try to return to POFQ or POR, the queue is jam packed for both resorts. I should have made that point more clear. Then trying to get on with strollers and young ones is another story.

Then people might say hang in the park, shop or just relax until the queues empty. Easier said than done with young kids. And I shouldn't have to if I just want to go back to the resort to relax.

MickeyNicki said:
We stayed at the POR last Oct and the only problem I found with the busses is the stops by our room...we would wait forever for busses to come around. After 2 days of this we started catching the bus at the main lobby/food court area and never had a problem.
You make a great point but don't you think this should be corrected? What was easy for you to correct may not be so easy for someone elderly or handicapped.

I've stayed at POR a whole bunch of times and in many diff years. Three times in the past year and a 1/2 and staying there next month again.
Honestly, while the bus service can seem a little on the slow side sometimes, it's usually during times when all the busses are being slow (less drivers working, etc). Most of the times it depends on where the busses are going. Obvioulsy, the AK bus will take longer than the MK or Epcot bus as it's on the complete other side of the property.
But it's never really been unbearable and if you take things as they come, it'll be fine. I think the longest wait we've ever really had was 20 minutes (and that is b/c the bus had most likely just left). At the end of the day, the lines are long but I have to say that I never really noticed the lines being any worse than other hotels (deluxe or not).

The one and only time we actually had a problem was summer 05 when we waited an hour at TL for a bus. Then the bus driver yelled at everyone for being impatient (never mind that the PO resorts are literally 5 minutes from TL). We just complained to a manager that time and got a call from the transportation management to explain what happened (and I wouldn't even had done that if the guy hadn't yelled at us). But that really was once in maybe 10 years of staying at POR.

You'll be fine. :)
And, in any case, what's waiting a little bit for a bus when you are at WDW?

My sister and I stayed at POR recently(9/21 to 9/27) and really enjoyed this resort. We had no problems with the buses-they are crowded at night if you stay right up until park closing but we've been several times now, so we don't do that anymore. We'll typically leave about 1 hour before closing. We got our fireworks fix at the 9/22 MNSSHP, so didn't feel the need to close the park every night. I figured it's vacation, so why run ourselves ragged?

Harvest02 said:
OK, please tell me not everyone has had a BAD experience with POR bus transportation??? We are going in October 2007, and am thinking I should make our resort reservation pretty soon so I can get my AAA discount. We were at Disney in June and stayed at ASMo and liked it there. The bus service was no issue for us as we never had to wait more than 15 minutes for a bus. Busses were crowded, but didn't bother any of us. My DS6 loved this resort, and wants to stay there again, BUT....I really wanted to try a moderate this time. My DS9 wants to try CBR, but I really don't want to have to pay for an upgrade to a preferred location(to be near the food court). I have read so many horror stories on this thread about the bus transportation at POR, especially at the end of the night. I think I am hesitating to book this resort because of the transportation issues. I really don't want to have to pay for a deluxe either, so a moderate or value is my only option. Which moderate has the best transportation, but that my kids will enjoy? My DH will probably not be going with us this next time since he is not a Disney fanatic like me and my kids :furious: !! Give me some ideas so I can figure this out!!!! :confused3

We just got back yesterday from a week at POR and we only waited more then 10mins for a bus once and that was only a 15min wait. The standard is that the buses run about every 20 to 30mins so if you are able to get on a bus to your destination within 20mins of arriving at the stop then you are doing great. The only thing that we noticed with the POR buses compared to the AKL buses was that almost every bus was standing room only by the time it made it to the last bus stop inside of POR and on the way back from the parks there was only a couple of times when the buses were not standing room only. So the buses do run on time they just might be crowded and noisey but what public transportation isn't?

Just wanted to add a comment about getting your AAA rate - I just booked a room at POR for 3 weeks from now, last week of October, and got the AAA rate. I don't think you'll be in a pinch to get the rate. You probably have time to make your decision (at least for POR).

this kind of reminds me of when i was planning our trip to stay at the WL. i almost changed our reservations because of all the bad press the bus service had. i took the advice of a poster, and i think that this is echoed in this thread that , bus service has a lot to do with your timing. if you get just before the bus arrives then the service is great you just miss it and then the wait seems that mush longer. of course at closing every bus for each resort passes by your stop at least twice before your bus finally arrives, or so it seems after a long hot day at WDW. i have had waits at night at each place we have stayed.
if i would have allowed the negative things said about the bus service at the WL to effect my decision to stay there i would have missed one incredible place to stay

Also, at the end of the day when you're tired, everything seems to take so much longer than it actually does. :)

I happen to be a fan of POR bus transportation.....I was not a fan of the buses at CSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter