Saying Hey! A note to friends from Sunday.

cewait

DIS Veteran
Sorry to have been MIA through the training season. Life tends to throw unexpected curves and this fall was full of them. Obviously, working through them closes some doors and opens others. One of the curves happened Sunday. Here is a note I wrote to some close friends then posted on my FB page....

Tough note to write but I have eluded to this a couple places. I was Perfectly Goofy through 9 challenges and today I bailed between mile 7 and 8 of the full; or about 20 miles into the 39 mile weekend or 374 miles of 393 in the last 10 years. It's my first DNF in a half or full and I was not really ready when I jumped to the curb. A little background, I have a knee that has little to no meniscus and have been treating through injections of cortisone and artificial synovial fluids for the last few years. This fall, they simply quit working and I knew that the long days were about to end - I was just hoping to make one more Goofy. But then in my mind I wonder if the pressure of the streak would have kept me on the path of just one more. In effect a phrase I will borrow, “Did I own the streak or did it own me?”

Today, I felt a pain in the knee that I have not felt coming up to TTC and through the overcompensation of that pain, ended up severely cramping the adductor and calf of the opposite leg. By mile 6 I was feeling like I was between mile 20 and 24.

I am sad to have the streak end but I have a refreshed view of marathon weekend that I have not felt for a few years. I can now pick and choose the race I want to run. I now own the streak!

Sorry to hear about your knee issues and having to take your first DNF. I'm glad you are comfortable with your decision, which I think was the correct one. No sense in seriously hurting yourself just for a streak or a medal.

:grouphug: It's so hard when you lose something that has been a part of who you are. But I wish you luck in finding something new to own! Thanks for the update.

Hey you went for it and then knew enough to call it quits rather than risk a whole lotta injury later on....

One of the reasons I did not do the Dopey this year (and I thought it was a silly one) was that I did not want to fall into a trap of a 'perfect' anything.
I knew that if I did the Dopey this year....I would then have to do it next year to keep it going..considering I did the Dopey on its inaugural run.

So I stuck with the half and boy was I happy with that! No crazy training...no crazy stressing...nothing and to be frank, it was such a nice relaxing half. After doing the Dopey last year and the Goofy the year before that...I know I can do it because I already did it. So at this point I have nothing to prove to myself regarding this race. So by focusing on the half...it was like a piece of cake that I could sit back and enjoy - because that's what it was compared to what I had done that last two years.

You don't have to look back and ask yourself 'should I have?' or 'could I have?' because you know you did. Its done. Now you do these races and actually enjoy them. I had fun in the half. I stopped and took selfies and even posted them live on fb. It was something I had wanted to do...to keep people updated of the race as it was happening.
From that, I had actually encouraged others to consider doing this...since it sounded like fun...

Overall I enjoyed this weekend. No worries of lack of sleep of pain or not finishing or anything like that. No heavy training...no wondering if I am ready...none of that. It was a totally different experience than what I have had the last couple of years.

You are now ready to move onward.

I've been a fan from way back in the DisneyRunning.com days. Having someone, with immense marathon knowledge, willing to devote so much time has been a real treat for everyone. I have cringed a little seeing you out there knowing what pain you must have. It is with great sadness that I watch you follow your own advice. You are a Renaissance man. There is no doubt, you will excel in your next challenge.

If you haven't seen coach's photography, you should go have a look. Wow!

Coach. I'm not really sure what to add here. I'm so sorry to hear about the pain that you went through this weekend and I can imagine how hard it must have been.

I started out running in 2011 with a goal of doing the WDW Half. I can still vividly remember reading and re-reading your posts gleaning any information I could from them about the race. You were an amazing source of inspiration, encouragement and information. Thank you so much for all of that.

So sorry to hear of your injury and your DNF, but glad to hear you are still around. We definitely missed you around here these last few months. Kudos for knowing when to quit and avoiding further injury. I can imagine that through the disappointment it must also be somewhat freeing to have the streak broken.
Hopefully you won't be a stranger to the boards. Your wisdom and advice helps us all.

And Congratulations on 9 Goofy finishes. That is quite an accomplishment!

I'll chime in with everyone else to say thank you for all the advice and help in the past. 4 years ago when I was approaching my first marathon at Disney, your help was invaluable. Each time I passed a banner with your name on it this past weekend, I thought about those discussions over the years.

I'm sorry to hear about your knee and the result from this past weekend. However, being perfect to Goofy 10 is an amazing accomplishment. Congratulations on that :worship:

Sorry about all the pain you went through this past weekend. I can only imagine the decision you had to make to break that streak, but as you say, you are under no pressure moving forward.

When training for our first marathon last year, your advice proved invaluable to me and my wife in helping us to train and prepare for the task at hand.

One of the reasons I did not do the Dopey this year (and I thought it was a silly one) was that I did not want to fall into a trap of a 'perfect' anything.
I knew that if I did the Dopey this year....I would then have to do it next year to keep it going..considering I did the Dopey on its inaugural run.

I was kind of happy that when I looked at it, with just time and money constraints 2015 Dopey wasnt going to happen for me. I also did the 1st, but missing the 2nd makes it LOTS easier to 'do it if I feel like it'.

Coach: great job on 9 Goofys and also making the tough call. As stated earlier, no streak or medal is worth a possible bad injury.

Welcome back! I hope you are sticking around.

9 Goofys is still VERY impressive! You have helped a lot of people on the DIS with training advice, including me. I hate that you couldn't finish your race, but I think you have taught us all another valuable lesson. You can modify training around injuries, or rest and play it safe, but sometimes you just have to listen to your body and know when you're done.

I am sorry that you had to take a DNF. I am amazed though that you took the steps you did. I cannot even imagine the pain involved. You are and will always be an inspiration and gift to us all in my eyes.

WISHing you all things good in your quest for bionic man status. Hope all goes smoothly and healing is quick.

2 thoughts:

I know it's a cliche, but that doesn't mean it's not true: DNF beats DNS (did not start.) I admire you for toeing the line on Sunday and giving it your best shot.

It is the ultimate tribute to a coach that the team was well prepared and succeeded. Coach, you prepped us so well in years past that we pulled together in your absence and got the win. Your advice is timeless. Every time someone reposted your advice, it was as applicable this year as it was in the past.

Thank you for all you've done for us and Happy Trails!

Thanks for the update. Many were wondering what was up. And I appreciate your classy way of putting the situation! Well done all around.

First things first coach, thank goodness you are ok!!! Lots of people were worried about you, including me. Even though we don't talk a lot I do read as many posts as I can from you and try to learn as much as I can.
Second I am sorry you had to bail on the race, even as a new runner that is my biggest fear.
But I am so glad that you have slayed the beast and you now own the streak. Now you can enjoy the journey and not worry so much about the destination.

Coach Charles......We are each an experiment of one by Dr. George Sheehan and so often quoted by you on this forum has inspired tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of walkers, joggers and runners to excel in whatever activity we are attempting. Thank you for your sage advice through the years as it has helped me immensely in ways you would not even imagine.

I am saddened to read that your streak has ended, but happy to read that a new door has opened for future achievements to fill the void.

Achieving my goal of the 2015 Marathon Weekend Palindrome Challenge....5K, 10K, 1/2 Marathon, Full Marathon, Fort Wilderness Half Marathon, Disney Dream 10K and the Inaugural Castaway Cay 5K Challenge or 71 miles in 7 days, can be directly attributed to you.

Best of luck in the future.

McFlurry John

Thanks for posting that, Coach. You were one of the people who really helped me keep going last through through a horrendous winter to complete all three Princess races last year, at age 63, having started running just 9 months before. This year, I've had problems with hip bursitis and tendonitis and honestly don't know whether I'll make it through the half--the only race I'm doing this year. Your story helps me accept that it's okay if I don't, as long as I give it my very best. Thanks for all your inspiration!

I have a refreshed view of marathon weekend that I have not felt for a few years. I can now pick and choose the race I want to run. I now own the streak!

I'm sorry for the pain you've been in, but that's a great thing to come out of it with. It's got to be a bit...stuck-feeling, to be Perfect.

Coach,
I'm sorry that you are hurting and for the DNF on your tenth Goofy. Having just finished my first Goofy I can only say it makes your accomplishment of 9 Goofy challenges all the more impressive. Thanks for all your advice and encouragement over the last couple of years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter