Say it isn’t so...

I wish you the best @JerseyJanice :flower3:

Maybe :tink:will show up and spread a little good luck on your trip. You have a nice long trip - plenty of time for the weather to change a dozen times, even with this weird system going on right now.

Hope you can find a way to make the most of it.

I'm having the same fears - going down for a short trip wed- mon. The whole point of the trip was for the flower garden festival. Are the food booths still open in a lot of rain?

I hear you! We were also there in October 2016 during Matthew and barely missed Irma during our Labor Day trip in 2017. We also had so much rain in October 2011 that water levels when we went to DHS reached the top of my toes.

Ya'll, bring your ponchos for July 11-15!

My weather app is showing a sun next Tuesday-and I hope you have some sun mixed in with those other days!
Have a wonderful trip!

I'm having the same fears - going down for a short trip wed- mon. The whole point of the trip was for the flower garden festival. Are the food booths still open in a lot of rain?

The Food & Wine booths stayed open right up until they closed the parks for Matthew. I got a bunch of things that day, but the only problem was finding a dry spot to eat them.

I managed though.

My first trip to WDW was May 2009. We wore our ponchos every day that week. I heard at the time it was a record in Florida/Orlando for the most inches of rain in a week. I don't doubt it. It really got to me after a couple of days. Then on our Epcot day, we went back to our house (staying off site) for supper when I heard someone in our party talk about going back to Epcot for the night show. We had missed the MK fireworks the first night because of rain, so they were determined to go. Only one other person felt the same as I did, and we almost protested to stay inside for the rest of the night. But then we realized we didn't want to be party-poopers, and we were at Disney World, so we might as well go.

And it was one of the best nights I ever had at Disney World. It was the first time I rode Soarin', which blew my mind. I had no idea what it was going in. Then we went to the World Showcase and watched Illuminations. It was my first ever Disney night show/fireworks event. I'll never forget walking into Magic Kingdom for the first time, or seeing the sign over the highway as we were driving in. That was technically the beginning of the trip. But I'll always consider Illuminations to be the first moment when I really fell in love with Disney World.

All of that to say - don't let the rain get you down. There are still good times to be had. :)

The Food & Wine booths stayed open right up until they closed the parks for Matthew. I got a bunch of things that day, but the only problem was finding a dry spot to eat them.

I managed though.

Thanks! i'm coming from jersey too, at least the weather won't be better up here either!

Best day I have ever had in the parks was an Epcot day where it rained all day long. There was next to no one in the lines. The character meet & greets all moved inside and there was almost no line there. All in all a perfect day.
Same here. We're also heading down on Wednesday and I have no problem dealing with the rain.

Not from Florida, but I don't think 8 days of drenching, all-day rain is normal. I've done several May trips and the most I got was a daily afternoon thunderstorm.

I had to deal with Harvey last year and it didn't even bring 8 days of drenching all day rain. Looking at the weather over the next 10 days, it mentions a couple days of strong storms and then scattered.

I'm probably telling you what you already know, but if you're looking at something like the Weather Channel app and it shows a 90% or 100% chance of rain, that doesn't mean that it's going to rain for 90% or 100% of the day. It just means that there's a 90% or 100% chance that it will rain at some point during the day. Oftentimes it means that there will be some significant thunderstorms in the area for part of the day, but a total washout is unusual - not impossible, as others have noted, but it is definitely the exception.

Reactions: TAK
I'm probably telling you what you already know, but if you're looking at something like the Weather Channel app and it shows a 90% or 100% chance of rain, that doesn't mean that it's going to rain for 90% or 100% of the day. It just means that there's a 90% or 100% chance that it will rain at some point during the day. Oftentimes it means that there will be some significant thunderstorms in the area for part of the day, but a total washout is unusual - not impossible, as others have noted, but it is definitely the exception.

That is exactly what I told my sister-in-law when we spoke on Saturday about our dining plans for the trip.

This morning, I woke to the alarm set on my phone. I checked the news app on my phone, as I have done every single day since July of 2016, and I saw this news item from CNN about a storm front coming to Florida.

That is what upset me because I realized then that we are facing more than typical spring weather in Florida.

I used to do outdoor testing in Florida and after 1 particularly bad Feb where we had rain almost every day (in the supposedly dry season) one of our final presentations stated that "Sunshine State" was a cruel hoax perpetrated by the FL Tourism Bureau.

I hope the forecast ends up being wrong. We are normally right there with everyone with rainy, rainy vacations wherever we go (it's a family joke at this point). I wouldn't even talk to my DH about the forecast we had two weeks ago. I have never seen a forecast for one of our vacations that had no rain in it. I took screenshots.

Thanks for your replies, but I don’t need rain gear or advice. I have plenty of rain gear left from my last two trips and could write a book of advice from what I learned about park touring in the rain during those trips.

I am leaving in two days for my third rain-soaked trip in a row, and I’m pretty bummed about it. :(

I posted hoping that somebody would give me hope that this current weather situation would blow out to sea or hit some part of Florida that isn’t Disney. Or that it would pass in a couple of days.

But obviously, those things are not going to happen, and I feel like crying over it. :(
Can you give me the mini version of that book? Here now and having a tough time figuring out how to deal with so many days of all day rain!

Thanks for your replies, but I don’t need rain gear or advice. I have plenty of rain gear left from my last two trips and could write a book of advice from what I learned about park touring in the rain during those trips.

I am leaving in two days for my third rain-soaked trip in a row, and I’m pretty bummed about it. :(

I posted hoping that somebody would give me hope that this current weather situation would blow out to sea or hit some part of Florida that isn’t Disney. Or that it would pass in a couple of days.

But obviously, those things are not going to happen, and I feel like crying over it. :(

Same here. This will be our third trip (out of three total trips) that we get all day rain.

I sure wish they had chosen a better place to build WDW. Perhaps Orlando wasn’t the best choice.

This is our last trip for quite a while. And right now I’m feeling glad about that. I deal with crappy winter weather most of the year. I want my vacation to be a time where I’m not “dealing” with weather. I guess I’m in the minority but I would rather be at home not spending $$$$ than walking around soaked for days on end.

Same here. This will be our third trip (out of three total trips) that we get all day rain.

I sure wish they had chosen a better place to build WDW. Perhaps Orlando wasn’t the best choice.

This is our last trip for quite a while. And right now I’m feeling glad about that. I deal with crappy winter weather most of the year. I want my vacation to be a time where I’m not “dealing” with weather. I guess I’m in the minority but I would rather be at home not spending $$$$ than walking around soaked for days on end.

I feel you on that one. I've been lucky in that all of my Disney trips have been great weather-wise except for the one in April with 6 straight days of rain. I've never forgotten it. I know that people say a rainy day at Disney is better than a day at work and, yeah, a one-off is okay. But to spend thousands of dollars for a week of rain is tough.

I actually stopped going to weeklong beach vacations at the beach near my home (3 hours away). It's incredibly expensive and the weather is not reliable. After several rainy weeks, I just don't do it anymore.

I am leaving on Wednesday for 8 nights in WDW. Got up this morning and I looked at the news and saw a report by CNN that a tropical depression is lining up to hit Florida with massive rain the next few days.

Really? I can’t believe my luck. I was there for Matthew in October 2016 and just missed Irma in September 2017. Thought I would try going in May for better weather and now this.

Sigh! Next time there is a drought in Florida, someone needs to send me there for relief.

I feel your pain. We are leaving Thursday but I asked Brian Sheilds from WFTV on twitter his thoughts about next week. He told me the rain chance will "start to get back to normal by next week". I have been to Disney in every month. May is USUALLY the most pleasant and the least rainy (in my experience). Let's just hope it starts to clear away as this week goes on AND that it's not as bad as we think. I usually have very good luck for weather so let's hope I keep that streak up :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter