Saw an "open" Lifeboat last week on Fantasy

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
When we got back super early from Cozumel and were walking deck 4. They were having a lifeboat drill for certain crew members and we were allowed to look inside.

All I can say is that if these boats hold 270 people as I have read, it will be a very , very, VERY tight fit.

Yeap, vey tight, with some people sitting higher then others. No moving around. Depending on the seas and wind, there will likely be a good deal of rolling and pitching. The important part is that the boats are well designed/built and will withstand rough seas.

AKK

i've always pictured it like one of those bad comedies. the first person gets sick then the second then third and so on and so on……. it would not be good.
i pray we never have to use them.

Maybe some folks would rather have a free fall style lifeboat like many of the Merchant vessels have now??? any takers????? (joking)

KK

Free fall life boat:

Free fall lifeboat is similar to an enclosed lifeboat but the process of launching is entirely different. They are aerodynamic in nature and thus the boat can penetrate the water without damaging the body when launched from the ship.

free-fall-lifeboat.jpg

Credits: Riley Huntley/wikipedia.org

The free fall life boat is located at the aft of the ship, which provides a maximum clear area for free fall

When we got back super early from Cozumel and were walking deck 4. They were having a lifeboat drill for certain crew members and we were allowed to look inside.

All I can say is that if these boats hold 270 people as I have read, it will be a very , very, VERY tight fit.
All the little black spots are individual seats (so those on the lower level are basically looking at the feet on the people on the row above). It's "cozy".
life boat fantasy 2014 27125 P1030971 1500.jpg
life boat fantasy 2014 27126 P1030972 1500.jpg

Maybe some folks would rather have a free fall style lifeboat like many of the Merchant vessels have now??? any takers????? (joking)

KK

Free fall life boat:

Free fall lifeboat is similar to an enclosed lifeboat but the process of launching is entirely different. They are aerodynamic in nature and thus the boat can penetrate the water without damaging the body when launched from the ship.

free-fall-lifeboat.jpg

Credits: Riley Huntley/wikipedia.org

The free fall life boat is located at the aft of the ship, which provides a maximum clear area for free fall
OMG!!! :scared1:

Every time I step on board I pray the sea will be kind and the ship and crew and passengers are safe. The lifeboats are our insurance if something goes wrong. I hope no one has to use them, but I am glad they are there.

All the little black spots are individual seats (so those on the lower level are basically looking at the feet on the people on the row above). It's "cozy".
View attachment 134513
View attachment 134514

Looking at those black spots right in the lifeboat showed me exactly how cozy it would be--270 of them in one boat. Count the spots in the picture and you can see what I mean. Imagine how it might be getting people crammed in like that in anything resembling orderly fashion.

I'm hoping that the flip happened because there was no one onboard the lifeboat. If not, I certainly wouldn't want to add this little "ride" to an already stress-filled scenario that would be occurring if people actually had to be in the lifeboat for launch.

Gee Shmoo you noticed that nice front flip!

Actually I do not know if there were anyone in that test..............and yes it was a test and the boat/ ramp failed.........no flips allowed. But even when properly aligned and set up, that's a wild ride when in open seas.

AKK

A very tight fit! But in the Navy, we did "drown proofing" which included "how to jump off a flaming ship," "how to swim under flaming water" (gas spills), "how to use your clothing as flotation devices," "how not to lose your buddy," and "how to avoid attracting sharks." So an actual lifeboat looks pretty good, all things considered!

A very tight fit! But in the Navy, we did "drown proofing" which included "how to jump off a flaming ship," "how to swim under flaming water" (gas spills), "how to use your clothing as flotation devices," "how not to lose your buddy," and "how to avoid attracting sharks." So an actual lifeboat looks pretty good, all things considered!
True. And don't forget about the inflatable rafts in the canister. I'll take the rigid hull any day over an inflatable!

Sweet Lord I hope I never have to use any of those things! Looking at those little black butt spots... it was clearly designed for 270 physically fit people! I suspect you would put kids on the floor since they are probably going to be clinging to the legs of the parents anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter